Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Japan opens again

• yonasl 954 posts

Just need 3 shots and covid test before departure now.

Those that booked a full guided North Korea style tour must be fuming!

mynameisjonny 46 posts

Do we think BA will add an additional flight? Reward availability very poor at the moment.

BJ 657 posts

@yonasl, 3 jabs OR negative test I believe.

@mynameisjonny
    , they already had double daily loaded for summer. I think it unlikely they will add two for winter but maybe for Cherry season. BA already announce flights restartng soon so worth checking.

meta 1,439 posts

If planning to go before Xmas, my advice is to just avoid the Westin in Kyoto, not very pleasant to foreigners. And don’t expect a maskless trip or avoiding of temperature checking. IHG hotels seem to have gloves at buffet rule. Second time it occurred to me today in CP Kobe. I have a Kimpton Shinjuku stay next week, so will report on that.

It will take time for them to get used to foreigners.

yonasl 954 posts

Correction: 3 jans OR negative test

All this from 11 October 2022

BJ 657 posts

@meta, how’s CP Kobe? I noticed it is very cheap on points. Any thoughts on whether the government might now reduce airline surcharges or if they will be allowed to rake them in for a while? Air Asia X have KIX to DMK in J for £300 so I’ll keep an eye on that and possibly take the £70 hit on my JAL Y flight to get 26k avios back.

meta 1,439 posts

It’s fine, but it is full so no upgrade, no late checkout, comped lounge instead. This seems to be the norm at CPs. I also think the Japanese who like to travel domestically are all now rushing before the opening. Hotels are all rammed everywhere Thursday to Monday. It was 8500 yen cash, so I went with that given I have the current promo to earn 30k.

Airline surcharges are here to stay I am afraid. I just hope they don’t increase them.

Gavin454 160 posts

It will be interesting to see what happens in Japan regarding all the pandemic health measures stuff (masks, plexiglass, hand sanitizer stations, constant “reduce the spread” talk from politicians etc). It can’t carry on forever. They currently seem to be in the same place that Europe was about 1.5 to 2 years ago.

I’ll hopefully be going in January-February for skiing after cancelled trips in 2021 and 2022 – glad to have booked an award flight a while ago when availability was quite good!

meta 1,439 posts

You’re forgetting temperature checks in most establishments and refusal of entry if above 37.5.

Also mask mandate in hotels has now been formalised by the introduction of law that allows hotel owners to kick you out for not wearing a mask.

BJ 657 posts

Thanks @mata, I’ll sit on the JAL Y reward flight for now given the flexibility but might ditch it for AAX close in if the price remains right as JAL is a horrible 00.55h deparure.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Hi Meta et Al
    Arrived Tokyo today on Japan airlines and in Shinjuku at the Hilton but out drinking and eating now. All good and folk seem more chilled Covid wise than I’d heard. Will update but welcome any questions, we had Visas incidentally, flights two the free for all visa waiver starts

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Two days before visa free entry that is

meta 1,439 posts

Hope you’re enjoying Shinjuku. I was at Kimpton all last week.

How’s the breakfast situation at Hilton? It was one of the best pre-covid (I rate it higher than Conrad!).

yorkieflyer 259 posts

How’s the breakfast situation at Hilton? It was one of the best pre-covid (I rate it higher than Conrad!).

Sorry for the delay in replying, just seen this, yes brekkie excellent at the Hilton tho only in the Marble lounge, exec lounge only open am on a Sunday, no afternoon tea as we enjoyed before, but daily happy two hour from 530 pm.Exec lounge excellent service and remembered from our last trip pre pandemic. Only bugbear being an influx of our American friends post 11/10. Evening nibbles in lounge not as we remembered but good quality wine free flowing

yorkieflyer 259 posts

How was the Kimpton Shinjuku? We have our last night there in a weeks time

meta 1,439 posts

Kimpton Shinjuku is just great. It’s the best Kimpton in the portfolio in my opinion. The finishes are really high end in the room. Nothing is falling apart like in other Kimptons I stayed at. I booked a base room and got triple upgrade to Premium High Floor with view of Yoyogi and the whole of Tokyo skyline (Diamond Elite). It is just one below a suite. Spoke to manager later on during the stay and he promised me an upgrade to suite if I come and stay again. Everyone was really happy, although I came back one evening and the lady yelling at one of the staff because apparently they forgot to wake her up for a theatre show or at least I think that was the reason as I entered in the middle of the scene.

They also gave me a late check out till 4pm although I didn’t need it.

Breakfast is a la carte only – there is a selection of five dishes plus they bring a salad, bread/pastry basket, coffee/tea (any including lattes) juice (some special ones are chargeable), fruit bowl, granola and a morning shot which changes daily. Apart from a la carte dish, you can get extras.

The social hour is great. Free wines, beers and a selection of canapés. Views stunning and if it’s great weather they open an outdoor terrace with spectacular views of Tokyo and the main highway. They have a great F&B manager who was seeking feedback. All staff seem to genuinely care about the place.

I was also given a nice welcome drink and used old social password. They said it’s old, but they’ll give me any drink from the bar apart from premium cocktails and champage, so went for G&T.

Hope it stays clear of buildings around. It beats views at Hilton Tokyo! I also tentatively rebooked for February in the recent sale when I am hoping to be back again for a few days. At ¥23.5k per night, it’s hard to beat.

The only issue is that it’s not so good for first timers due to location. The nearest subway/JR line is 12-15 minutes walk (Shinjuku or Yoyogi) and it can be a bit of a trek. You also need to be pretty good at finding your way inside Shinjuku station.

meta 1,439 posts

Amenities – Atelier Bloem are really great. I wanted to go to Daiso and buy some empty bottles to fill in, but remembered I already have too much luggage.😃

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Kimpton Shinjuku is just great. It’s the best Kimpton in the portfolio in my opinion. The finishes are really high end in the room. Nothing is falling apart like in other Kimptons I stayed at. I booked a base room and got triple upgrade to Premium High Floor with view of Yoyogi and the whole of Tokyo skyline (Diamond Elite). It is just one below a suite. Spoke to manager later on during the stay and he promised me an upgrade to suite if I come and stay again. Everyone was really happy, although I came back one evening and the lady yelling at one of the staff because apparently they forgot to wake her up for a theatre show or at least I think that was the reason as I entered in the middle of the scene.

They also gave me a late check out till 4pm although I didn’t need it.

Breakfast is a la carte only – there is a selection of five dishes plus they bring a salad, bread/pastry basket, coffee/tea (any including lattes) juice (some special ones are chargeable), fruit bowl, granola and a morning shot which changes daily. Apart from a la carte dish, you can get extras.

The social hour is great. Free wines, beers and a selection of canapés. Views stunning and if it’s great weather they open an outdoor terrace with spectacular views of Tokyo and the main highway. They have a great F&B manager who was seeking feedback. All staff seem to genuinely care about the place.

I was also given a nice welcome drink and used old social password. They said it’s old, but they’ll give me any drink from the bar apart from premium cocktails and champage, so went for G&T.

Hope it stays clear of buildings around. It beats views at Hilton Tokyo! I also tentatively rebooked for February in the recent sale when I am hoping to be back again for a few days. At ¥23.5k per night, it’s hard to beat.

The only issue is that it’s not so good for first timers due to location. The nearest subway/JR line is 12-15 minutes walk (Shinjuku or Yoyogi) and it can be a bit of a trek. You also need to be pretty good at finding your way inside Shinjuku station.

We stayed just one night, our final one before early flight back to London so missed breakfast, but my impressions weren’t great TBH. A little shambolic on arrival, partly a result of the vogue for no proper reception desk with constant to ing and fro ing from the silly podiums with passports and room lists with staff lacking a sure touch, confusion as to whether our room was ready, turned out it was, this after being hauled back from the lift and asked to wait, sat down then up again!
    Upgraded to suite on a points stay and initially pleased. However, on the 10th floor there is quite noticeable traffic noise from the highway intersection below, the layout is just plain weird, a narrow corridor with the cupboards, coffee stuff with a partition with the bed and a micro sofa the other side apparently constitute a suite. Furnishings a little austere for the claimed star rating and I wonder how it will wear in time. The separate bathroom is wet room with decent shower and titchy narrow stand alone bath arranged with a central plug so you can sit on it and inadvertently lose your bath water attempting to stretch out. No English breakfast teabags! Only green tea, I guess explains the demographic they are appealing to. Style over my view I’m afraid.
    Social hour barely adequate with entry level wine offering and a handful of canapés, entertainment offered was yapping dogs and chatty staff who seemed eager to please if a little in your face.
    Perhaps I’m really a Hilton man after all, couldn’t help making an unfavourable comparison to the more staid Hilton Shinjuku

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.