Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Klarna / PayPal with Amex?

• jezza76 46 posts

Hi, some of the purchases i need to make don’t accept Amex payments direct but they do accept payment via Klarna (who accept Amex) and Paypal. If i make a purchase and use my card to pay through Klarna or Paypal will that still count towards my £3000 spend to get my points?

Also does anyone have any experience of using Klarna, I’ve heard of them before but unsure how reputable they are?

Thanks

NorthernLass 7,601 posts

These kind of payments will count for your SUB, but make sure you can still select your Amex for the payment. Some retailers (e.g. Iceland), will reject Amex as payment even if going via Paypal, IME. I think I have used Klarna once for a jewellery purchase, it’s similar to setting up a DD for interest-free installments. It seems to be a widely-used and regulated method of payment from what I can tell.

Colin MacKinnon 284 posts

Paypal fine – a well used and popular way to use Amex.

Might be cautious about Klarna: and it may be something lenders might not like you using, if you ever think of a mortgage or car loan?

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/new-buy-now-pay-later-regulations-will-be-a-wakeup-call-for-lenders-bnpl-fca-klarna-zilch-b1061997.html

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

Yes, PayPal always a good option for many retailers who refuse Amex but forget to block it via PayPal ….

jezza76 46 posts

great, thanks so much everyone, I’ll stick with paypal then, seems safer

Yes, PayPal always a good option for many retailers who refuse Amex but forget to block it via PayPal ….

Thanks, what do you mean block it via paypal?

tw33ty 187 posts

I’ve just had a survey from Amex about them launching their own bnpl answer to klarna and the likes.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.