Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Leaked: Benefits of IHG’s new reward programme

• dst87 263 posts

This morning the Head For Points twitter account tweeted an article with leaked information about the changes to the IHG reward programme.

https://twitter.com/HeadForPoints/status/1514112459027750915

Seems the key benefits are:

* [Diamond] Complementary Breakfast for two as welcome amenity
    * [Diamond] Dedicated support team
    * [Platinum+] Discounts on reward nights
    * [Platinum+] Early check-in
    * [Platinum+] Suite Upgrades (increased enforcement / tracking)
    * [Gold+] Elite rollover Nights

Some benefits are disappearing though:

* [Gold] Welcome amenity choice no longer offered
    * [Spire] The Spite Choice benefits (25k points) no longer offered

Finally, they’re adding milestone rewards for additional perks based on the number of nights you stay, including bonus points, F&B credit, confirmed suite upgrades, and annual lounge membership. Milestones start at 20 nights and a new perk is available every 10 nights thereafter up to 100 nights.

Seems like there are some surprisingly good things in there. I suppose we’ll have to wait for the official reveal. Supposedly the new structure goes live sometime between April 13th and 17th, and the benefits changes will be available starting June sometime.

NorthernLass 7,455 posts

I’m confused – is Diamond replacing Spire or something?

OK, I missed this 🤦‍♀️. Do I need to rebook all my stays where I’ve added breakfast now?!

Will I now get breakfast at the Indigo Bath at the end of this month?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,455 posts

Never mind – just seen the original article! Now to try and find out if we’ll be getting breakfast at the Kimpton Seafire in July – normally $100 per room 😱

ChrisC 956 posts

Yes diamond replaces spire.

This is a good set of changes IMHO.

I made Spire last week on the 55k requirement (thanks to the double qualification points offer) so still got the 25k bonus miles which wine be the case for new qualifiers. It’s been showing as diamond in the IHG app since last week.

I’m not really a breakfast eater though the suite upgrade is good. Not sure of the lounge pass as a lot of properties don’t have them so that could be of doubtful benefit (unless they have to offer something as an alternative such as drinks vouchers)

Aston100 1,374 posts

Nevermind; answered by ChrisC

Aston100 1,374 posts

I reckon enforcement is going to be the biggest issue.
    Some hotels are a law unto themselves.

YC 221 posts

Never mind – just seen the original article! Now to try and find out if we’ll be getting breakfast at the Kimpton Seafire in July – normally $100 per room 😱

The ‘selected’ kimptons offering breakfast just adds confusion for hotels and guest. Why can’t hotel schemes keep things consistent and simple… The normal customer will not read their t&cs and will just get frustrated at check in and at the programme.

NorthernLass 7,455 posts

Still showing Spire here but that may be because it was earned last year. I hadn’t been paying much attention to IHG recently as I was moving back to Hilton following the Creation debacle but free breakfast will definitely put IHG back in the game!

janed9388 63 posts

I’m also still seeing spire and was expecting (hoping) for Diamond, I read on flyertalk that you could see your new status in the app but can’t find it anywhere – any pointers ?

strickers 656 posts

Turn your phone sideways in the app, this will bring up your virtual card which is the only place I can see the new status.

strickers 656 posts

What I don’t understand is why are they launching this now if some benefits don’t kick in until June?

Andrew. 478 posts

Interesting.

The one thing that annoys me about the IHG scheme is that an increasing number of hotels only offer “Standard” rooms for redemption when I’m generally looking to book a room with two beds.

When this isn’t offered, I don’t simply make a cash booking for an IHG hotel instead, I go to the broader market for best value.

Ladyshopper 110 posts

Still showing Spire here but that may be because it was earned last year. I hadn’t been paying much attention to IHG recently as I was moving back to Hilton following the Creation debacle but free breakfast will definitely put IHG back in the game!

I’ve been platinum elite for years now, and I have no idea why. No credit card (although I think it’s down to having one about 6 years ago, if not more that got me to platinum!). Barely stay at IHG properties. Every year I keep on expecting to be bumped down, and every year it stays!

bibby135 28 posts

If I am at 50 nights and almost about to get another 25,000 points, but now has ceased as of today, will I instantly have all the stepped milestone benefits for 50 nights all in one go?

Aston100 1,374 posts

Interesting.

The one thing that annoys me about the IHG scheme is that an increasing number of hotels only offer “Standard” rooms for redemption when I’m generally looking to book a room with two beds.

When this isn’t offered, I don’t simply make a cash booking for an IHG hotel instead, I go to the broader market for best value.

Andrew, this has happened to me at a couple of hotels in the UK.
    I rang the hotels (before making the reward booking) and they confirmed they were happy to put twin beds in the rooms.
    After booking, I emailed them with the booking confirmation and a reminder that they had agreed to change the bed.
    Was fine when we turned up.

FFoxSake 217 posts

Turn your phone sideways in the app, this will bring up your virtual card which is the only place I can see the new status.

Still says Spire Elite for me when I do that (Android app).

Article on LL says “The new tier and bonus points earning structure will go live on April 13 and will be rolled out to all member accounts by April 17” so will need to wait a few days.

strickers 656 posts

Article on LL says “The new tier and bonus points earning structure will go live on April 13 and will be rolled out to all member accounts by April 17” so will need to wait a few days.

Ah, it’s the only place I see it but I’m using an iPhone.

Guernsey Globetrotter 583 posts

In the app (iPhone) I now see a headline on the first screen saying ‘Meet IHG One Rewards” and clicking through gives a summary of the new tiers and benefits etc.

Guernsey Globetrotter 583 posts

Ah, it’s the only place I see it but I’m using an iPhone.

Weirdly, I see the new Diamond level card when I log into the app (I was previously a Spire Ambassador) but when I log into Mrs T’s account it still shows her as Spire Elite on the card… going to take a while for them to fully migrate and debug !

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

What I don’t understand is why are they launching this now if some benefits don’t kick in until June?

Because it’s IHG!

Does ambassador get you gold?

Aston100 1,374 posts

Because it’s IHG!

Does ambassador get you gold?

If by ‘gold’ you mean Ferrero Rocher, then yes.

Aston100 1,374 posts

https://www.ihg.com/onerewards/content/gb/en/tier-benefits

NorthernLass 7,455 posts

It’s just a shame we can’t get the Chase MC here!

Harrier25 848 posts

I’m confused – is Diamond replacing Spire or something?

OK, I missed this 🤦‍♀️. Do I need to rebook all my stays where I’ve added breakfast now?!

Will I now get breakfast at the Indigo Bath at the end of this month?

Not that anyone should care, but we’re staying in Bath this Easter weekend, Anna, but at the Doubletree by Hilton. Get to benefit from free breakfast and the £50 cashback from Amex.

Harrier25 848 posts

It’s just a shame we can’t get the Chase MC here!

Rumour has it that IHG are looking for a new credit card provider for the UK.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.