Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Likelihood at suite upgrade at Bankside for Diamond

• Olly 242 posts

I have two King deluxe rooms booked for Saturday night for myself, wife plus kids (aged 5&6) – they were booked separately with one about £30 cheaper than the other. I now cannot stay so suddenly two rooms feels a little excessive. In the app, I’m being offered an upgrade for one of the rooms to a Junior Suite for £104, or another £176 to a one bedroom suite for the other room (the junior suite isn’t offered here).

Before I push ahead with upgrading one of the rooms and cancelling the other, wanted to check whether as a Diamond there was any likelihood of getting the upgrade to a suite anyhow, or would it just go up to the next category room (exec)? Do others have experience of this? Am I likely to be offered the opportunity to select my room in the app tomorrow anyhow in which case I can see and then make a decision or would it be a good idea to email them and ask if it was possible?

cabal of rabid baboons 109 posts

I think that I’d be more than happy to get the whole party free breakfast and lounge access and pay for both rooms

jshRR 32 posts

Currently booked in for 2 nights (2 adults (24&25 March )at the Hilton Islington for standard king double room booked last week (no refund rate) – offered exec lounge for £20/per night EACH or exec room for £48/night or exec suite £90/night.
    Not got app but turned up 3 pm today and was upgraded to exec room with lounge access – and I’m ‘only’ a Gold !!
    Could have ‘chosen ?’our room etc if I’d had the App – but I haven’t – we are thrilled to bits !
    Hope that helps 😬

NorthernLass 7,492 posts

I second this – I selected our room at the Berlin Hilton last month in the app and got no upgrade whatsoever (as gold). We were in an exec room anyway and it was late so didn’t think it was worth arguing about but I am not going to do that again!

Paul B 224 posts

Personally I’ve been avoiding selecting my room in-app beforehand for this very reason.

Olly 242 posts

To wrap this up, and share my experience, we checked in at the desk shortly after 3pm, having requested the paid upgrade as offered in the app and also exchanged emails with the reservation desk requesting one on account of diamond status. In both cases, automated and human the email stated that they noted the request but it couldn’t be confirmed in advance.

Was given the king deluxe room booked and when I asked about the requested upgrade was told that there were none available and to check back in a couple of hours. Did so but still none and was told that it was unlikely any would appear unless there were no shows. The hotel seemed busy and no other higher rooms were showing in the app so seemed like it was just a busy night/bad luck.

Still had a great stay so only sore point about the experience was why offer paid upgrades in the app if they can’t be delivered on?

omicron 50 posts

Stayed there one night on points last year and was upgraded to a 1br suite. I was able to see the upgrade in the app before checking in.

Roberto 279 posts

Only about 10% of the rooms are suites so it’s unlikely they give many upgrades at this property.

Michael C 673 posts

It’s very often packed as it’s a great choice – hope you had a good time anyway!
    Fwiw as a Gold, there were no room upgrades available, but I asked reception for and received lounge entry instead
    on check-in (in person!).

Phatbear 13 posts

Ive stayed here a few times, always midweek for work and ive never been upgraded, im a 6 year diamond who stays 120+ nights a year with their brand.

That being said its a very nice hotel with one of the nicest lounges and breakfasts in a UK hilton

NorthernLass 7,492 posts

Another data point on digital check in/upgrades. We’ve got one night at the DT Strathclyde tomorrow and I just checked in via the app as I’d booked a Queen Deluxe to trigger the last £50 Amex offer, which would have been fine. After completing check in the app is showing that I’ve been upgraded to a King Deluxe family room.

jshRR 32 posts

Q? to Northern Lass – just out of interest,what’s your thoughts on what sort of upgrade you may have hopefully ended up with ( if any) had you just booked a standard queen/king room in the first place ??

NorthernLass 7,492 posts

It’s usually just one category up IME, though occasionally better and sometimes not at all, say if the hotel is full or you prefer the original room (might be in a quieter location, for instance). I think golds tend to get what they’re entitled to and not much more, but that’s still decent for those of us who are unlikely to hit diamond.

Olly 242 posts

Additional datapoint from me. Booked P2 into Hilton Islington last night. Checked in on the app into standard room and upgraded into a suite upon arrival. Feedback was that the staff were great (as was the breakfast).

NorthernLass 7,492 posts

Nice! I always seem to do better at IHG than Hilton (maybe because of Diamond/Ambassador instead of just gold?) though Hilton CS is vastly superior. I’ve got an upgrade to a suite at the CP Glasgow over the weekend, which is where we’re headed after the DT!

TGLoyalty 479 posts

Btw the sell up upgrades are “if available” ie it’s bidding on rooms which may actually end up being sold anyway. It’s not like arranging an upgrade for a fee at front desk

In my experience Hilton Bankside have always upgraded but suites are always hit and miss at any hotel

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.