Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes LON-CAI in comfort, on points

• zio 249 posts

Using a Barclays voucher I can do a peak return in CE for 55k avios + £180.

Not terrible, but your challenge is to suggest a more comfortable alternative.

I have plenty of Virgin and Bonvoy points.

Dep/Arr times must be civilised. Am I best off sucking up 5+ hours in CE for a direct flight?

Richie 989 posts

Anything on RJ via Amman in a better seat?

JDB 4,378 posts

Anything on RJ via Amman in a better seat?

You may get a better seat on the first leg but you arrive in Amman in the middle of the night on the current schedule. The brief was “civilised” times.

The alleged discomfort of BA CE pales into insignificance vs the additional travel time of the various transfer options many of which are anyway on short haul aircraft.

zio 249 posts

Yes, the midnight arrival on the direct LHR-AMM flight won’t suit.
    Of course 5 hours in CE is a very first world problem and perhaps I am being too hopeful of finding a sensible alternative.

Looks like Egypt Air fly wide-body planes direct. Coming in at 50k miles +€638 via Aegean. Anyone with experience?

truthbetold 130 posts

Use star alliance points on egyptair for direct in old style business class seats. Alcohol free flight but economy was fine and business looked good.

We were booked LHA via Germany but rerouted on direct EG flight due to fog. Saved £500 on fare and ended on the direct flight and also got £1000 comp from LHA without even asking.

Returned on Austrian Air in Biz which was very good. Can’t remember seat arrangement (think same as BA) but food drink and staff were top of their game.

zio 249 posts

Thanks for reporting your experience @truthbetold

masaccio 722 posts

I had similar thoughts but since OH has dodgy knees so we booked BA economy in exit rows, but then I have status. Flight was OK and was at least comfortable.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.