Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Luton Airport HIX Cash vs Points & Cash?

• ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

IHG newbie here. Booked on an eyewatering 07:10 midweek flight from LTN to RMO for a wedding in June so want to book a hotel within walking distance to the terminal the night before. I’ve read the reviews on here and it seems that the HIX is the best option given our very early start. The HIX cash price is £106 (non-refundable) or £125 (refundable) or there is a cash and points option. I only have 17,062 IHG points so not enough for the points-only redemption of 27,000 points, the nearest option for me is 17,000 points + £47 which seems like a poor use of points. Please can someone remind me how many points per £ I would be earning if I booked on the cash rate? I’m IHG Silver Elite but have never booked direct with IHG and my only stay with them (at the IC Estoril) was booked via Amex FHR and I was lucky to still get credited the points. I’d like to get better value for the points just not sure when I would next use them and whether it’s better to just take the £59 saving on the non-refundable option! Thoughts from IHG veterans please?

Rich_A 92 posts

You’d earn 12 points per USD (10 base, 2 silver), based on the price excluding tax.

So something like 1332 points for the non-refundable rate. More if there are any promotions running at the time.

Cash & points rate is equivalent to the refundable rate. But if you would book the non-refundable rate, you should compare to that.

Aim for better than 0.4p per point if you’re spending points. Probably only good value here if you would be booking the refundable rate.

Lady London 2,054 posts

Where the h*** is RMO ? The 3 letter codes are fine for major wellknown airports, even the less obvious ones like IAD or IAH or the Canadian Y’s like YYZ or YUL. But if not obvious please spell out the destination name in full, at least once in any post if it’s not a major well known destination.

PS Points+cash is always a bad deal in IHG. 17k points will get you a night in many places depending where, tine of year and day of week, just not the UK. Even less sometimes. So I’d hang onto the points especially as IHGbpromotions these days are pants unless you want to respond to their current ridiculously overincentivising promotions gor their new baby Iberostar.

If you trsvel on business some IHG hotels will offer rates that will also give you bonus points if you want to add to your stash when these appear.

Personally I’d look at other hotels, even say Premier Inn at Luton, for cash.

Points Hound 47 posts

Where the h*** is RMO ? The 3 letter codes are fine for major wellknown airports, even the less obvious ones like IAD or IAH or the Canadian Y’s like YYZ or YUL. But if not obvious please spell out the destination name in full, at least once in any post if it’s not a major well known destination.

Does it matter LL? No is the answer, the destination is irrelevant to the question asked. Might be a bug bear of yours but “Where the h*** is RMO ?” – you need bringing down a peg or two.

Lady London 2,054 posts

Does it matter LL? No is the answer, the destination is irrelevant to the destination. Might be a bug bear of yours but “Where the h*** is RMO ?” – you need bringing down a peg or two.

Bit grumpy today and it’s a point others have made on HfP before. Editorial policy has also been stated not to use three
    letter codes standalone for same reasons.

If after a long day I’m too tired to google and if after a relatively long time involved with travel and using travel sites over the years, I feel a code is so unrecognisable to me, trust me it will be unrecognisable to many others too.

It’s nice people try to fit in but the use of 3 letter codes across the board can be taking it too far, not needed, if it’s not well known please mention the full name of the destination you’re referring to at least once.

Points Hound 47 posts

Does it matter LL? No is the answer, the destination is irrelevant to the destination. Might be a bug bear of yours but “Where the h*** is RMO ?” – you need bringing down a peg or two.

Bit grumpy today and it’s a point others have made on HfP before. Editorial plicy has also been stated not to use thrv3 letter codes standalone for same reasons.

If after a long dwy I’m too tired to google and if after a relatively long time involved with travel and using travel sites over the years, I feel a code is so unrecognisable to me, trust me it will be unrecognisable to many others too.

It’s nice people try to fit in but the use of 3 letter codes across the board can be taking it too far, not needed, if it’s not well knowm please mention the full name of the destinatiob you’rereferring to at least once.

You’re missing the point, the destination and code are more than irrelevant. Your response is therefore irrelevant to this thread. Give your head a wobble and come off your high horse. If you are grumpy, switch off and relax rather than venting in such an unproductive way.

Points Hound 47 posts

Bit grumpy today and it’s a point others have made on HfP before. Editorial policy has also been stated not to use three
    letter codes standalone for same reasons.

If after a long day I’m too tired to google and if after a relatively long time involved with travel and using travel sites over the years, I feel a code is so unrecognisable to me, trust me it will be unrecognisable to many others too.

It’s nice people try to fit in but the use of 3 letter codes across the board can be taking it too far, not needed, if it’s not well known please mention the full name of the destination you’re referring to at least once.

You’re missing the point, the destination and code are more than irrelevant. Your response is therefore irrelevant to this thread. Give your head a wobble and come off your high horse. If you are grumpy, switch off and relax rather than venting in such an unproductive way.

Lady London 2,054 posts

@Pointshound I have given you a civil reply and you have given me personal abuse.

As in <<quote>>:

“you need bringing down a peg or two”

and

“Give your head a wobble and come off your high horse. If you are grumpy, switch off and relax rather than venting in such an unproductive way”

I am so sorry I offended you. My initial “What the h***, was just a general expression of exasperatioñ and you will note that after that I did try to give useful advice.

Are you the ex-Pointshound site owner btw?

Points Hound 47 posts

@points_hound I have given you a civil reply and you have given me personal abuse.

As in <<quote>>:

and

“Give your head a wobble and come off your high horse. If you are grumpy, switch off and relax rather than venting in such an unproductive way”

I am so sorry I offended you. My initial “What the h***, was just a geberal expression of exasperatioñ and you will note that after that I did try to give useful advice.

Are you the ex-Pointshound site owner btw?

LL, my comments are not personal abuse by any means, they are merely a view on how you come across sometimes and should perhaps alter your posting style. Your status on this forum as a (very) regular and well informed poster does not mean you are above the behavioural posting expectations Rob and Rhys set out not long after covid in relation to other posters on HFP. I understand it is ‘exasperating’ for many that some posters do not follow the ‘unwritten rules’ of the regulars on this forum, but there is no need to respond to any OP in such a manner really, is there? There will always be posters that are not as regular and do not talk in the same ‘language’. You have now edited your original reply to offer the advice he was originally seeking from this forum which is great, but your initial response was somewhat different in tone, hence my valid response.

A great deal of the advice you offer on this forum is invaluable, but perhaps take a minute to evaluate your hasty responses if you have had such an exasperating day, and are grumpy. Even better, create a thread about the ‘hellish’ use of 3 letter ICAO codes so it is the topic of the thread and something might come of it.

Not the ex Pointshound site owner no, just a lover of travel and points and a long time daily enthusiast of this forum.

ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

Thanks for the points advice all, I think I’ll stick to a cash booking but probably still go for HIX for ease of proximity. Certainly wasn’t meaning to exasperate anyone by using the three letter code (for the record RMO is Chișinău, Moldova) – I’ve just been searching it on booking websites so much lately in my efforts to see if there was any alternative other than Luton/Stansted that it’s stuck in my brain! Simply thought it would be helpful to reference the destination to provide some context as to why I was flying from Luton at the crack of dawn and thus wanted a hotel within walking distance of the terminal, in case anyone questioned my sanity… Having checked on the Priority Pass app, I can see that Chișinău airport has a (singular) business lounge, so as it seems to be a relatively unused airport on planet HfP I’ll be sure to report back!

John 1,000 posts

£106 is better than 27k points if your plans won’t change. IHG booking page on the website or app should tell you how many points you’ll get (roughly, because it depends on IHG’s USD exchange rate after staying)

Note that the points and cash option is not actually £47 but USD 60, and if you cancel you get 10000 points back not $60.

How much is the Hampton – it’s £5 for the dart (if coming to luton by train you pay this anyway unless you walk uphill or want to try bus route A) and you can book fast track for £8 or less so if the Hampton is £80 ish it might be ok

ExpatInBerlin 186 posts

Thanks @John, I didn’t realise that IHG would calculate the points prior to booking having never booked through their website before. I’ve clicked through on the basis of the £106 refundable rate and can now see that I would earn 1,346 points. I checked the Hampton but even the honors discount advanced purchase is £107 (can’t see a points calculation). On the basis that we are fully intending to attend the wedding (and already have non-refundable Wizz Air flights!) I think I’ll book cash for HIX and hope to use my slightly increased points stash for a full redemption on a future non-UK stay.

Lady London 2,054 posts

@Pointshound you said:

and

Your first comment, which was personal abuse, was made while I was still typing my initial reply. Regulars will know that I often work on my posts right after posting an initial version, then edit to add things and correct spelling. As I usually just have a phone and editing is easier as the small type in edit mode gives a view of more at the one time on the smaller phone screen.

Being in Edit mode on my reply to the OP whilst completing it, I wasn’t aware I had a vampire on my neck till I finished it and Yes it was personal abuse.

My posting style is deliberate. I’m surprised you think someone, or possibly someone with a female pen name, isn’t able to have made a decision concerning their own posting style.

And you’re still trying to abuse me, only dressing it up a bit more now I ‘ve pointed out your personal abuse.

As in :

« …does not mean you are above the behavioural posting expectations Rob and Rhys…>>

Ie you are calling on the Gods… with a fake accusation of my breaching guidelines. To cover your own breach of the key guideline, « Play the ball, not the man »

This was not at all a question of a female pen name daring to « enforce » any unwritten rules. This stuff about 3 letter airport codes has been written and discussed before. My reaction was just exasperation – [h***=heck, btw] at seeing an indecipherable airport code, too tired to look it up. It was not directed personally at the poster. However I did make a polite request in my reply to the poster. I am sorry if that offended you.

Even after I replied to you civilly you continued your abuse :

« Give your head a wobble and come off your high horse. If you are grumpy, switch off and relax rather than venting in such an unproductive way”

And here’s some more advice from you which now veers towards the patronising:.

« take a minute to evaluate your hasty responses «
    Actually, it wasn’t hasty. I do know what I say, and why.

and

« Even better, Create a thread … »

Thanks, I’ll work out if I need to clutter the forum with a whole thread on that.

Sorry if my initial post was misinterpreted.

Points Hound 47 posts

@Pointshound you said:

and

Your first comment, which was personal abuse, was made while I was still typing my initial reply. Regulars will know that I often work on my posts right after posting an initial version, then edit to add things and correct spelling. As I usually just have a phone and editing is easier as the small type in edit mode gives a view of more at the one time on the smaller phone screen.

Being in Edit mode on my reply to the OP whilst completing it, I wasn’t aware I had a vampire on my neck till I finished it and Yes it was personal abuse.

My posting style is deliberate. I’m surprised you think someone, or possibly someone with a female pen name, isn’t able to have made a decision concerning their own posting style.

And you’re still trying to abuse me, only dressing it up a bit more now I ‘ve pointed out your personal abuse.

As in :

« …does not mean you are above the behavioural posting expectations Rob and Rhys…>>

Ie you are calling on the Gods… with a fake accusation of my breaching guidelines. To cover your own breach of the key guideline, « Play the ball, not the man »

This was not at all a question of a female pen name daring to « enforce » any unwritten rules. This stuff about 3 letter airport codes has been written and discussed before. My reaction was just exasperation – [h***=heck, btw] at seeing an indecipherable airport code, too tired to look it up. It was not directed personally at the poster. However I did make a polite request in my reply to the poster. I am sorry if that offended you.

Even after I replied to you civilly you continued your abuse :

« Give your head a wobble and come off your high horse. If you are grumpy, switch off and relax rather than venting in such an unproductive way”

And here’s some more advice from you which now veers towards the patronising:.

« take a minute to evaluate your hasty responses «
    Actually, it wasn’t hasty. I do know what I say, and why.

and

« Even better, Create a thread … »

Thanks, I’ll work out if I need to clutter the forum with a whole thread on that.

Sorry if my initial post was misinterpreted.

LL, now that a quick Google search and the OP has confirmed that RMO is LUKK (Chișinău International Airport), that should hopefully alleviate the exasperation around the 3 letter code on this thread that caused your initial post which is positive. Any patronisation within my latter posts are borne from your insistence that my original comments were ‘personal abuse’, which they are not.

We could go round in circles here or enjoy our long Easter weekend. I know which I’ll be doing and I hope you do the same 🐣.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.