Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Making the most of points and advice

• gjones5785 2 posts

Hello everyone,

I have recently signed up to virgin bank, received 20k points, I have added my Tesco Clubcard points over, 2500 and I will be getting the Virgin CC soon with the 15k points sign up bonus.

Firstly my Mrs will be doing changing her bank to Virgin and recieving the 20k points. Shall I put the voucher code for these into my account or should she have her own? Would it work on mine?

Secondly, I’m looking at booking a holiday for 14 people. So I will be booking on shops always 8points for every 1 £ and I was wondering if I paid on my virin CC would I also receive Points for paying on there too?

Also I’ve read alot about partners and using codes on there. What are people’s tips and tricks to get the most out of Virgin points?

At the moment I’m trying to accumulate as much as I can and looking at booking something next year.

dougzz99 623 posts

Stick around, read the site each day. Points make most sense when used for Business class flights. There is a limited amount of space on a flight for which points can be used. If you were thinking of the USA for example, expect to pay around £800 for the fees, charges and taxes in addition to the points. If you’re a couple or travel regularly with someone look at the opportunity to earn at 2 for 1 voucher with credit card spend, this reduces the amount of points you need for two people, but sadly the fees and charges still have to be paid for both, so expect around £1600 for two to travel business to USA.
    There’s value in points, but sometimes less than you may imagine, so be aware of the limitations. Remember even credit card spend has a cost, you may think the points are free, but if you had used say a cash back c%edit card then you’ve missed out on that cash back, so the points have that opportunity cost.

memesweeper 1,248 posts

As well as business class redemptions, Virgin points can be traded in for a modest discount on any cash fare or holiday. It’s not a great rate, but with things the way (ludicrous additional fees being applied on the majority of routes for business seats) they are might be the only use you’ll have for them.

Also if you need to travel outside Europe Virgin have a number of partner airlines they can book you on using their miles.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.