Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Meet Rhys in Liverpool!

• Aston100 1,382 posts

A week or two notice and you’d have had a lot more people, even without the lure of free drinks.

Agreed.
    Can’t compare this to a properly organised official event in London.

sloth 315 posts

Poor old Rob and Rhys, can’t do right for doing wrong…

I bet Rhys is regretting the offer now! Haha

Richie 977 posts

My guess is there could be more to this than just a complimentary beverage.

No Longer Entitled 117 posts

Conflicts with a Parents Evening for me otherwise I’d drive across. Shame I can’t make it but I really welcome the initiative. Hopefully it’s a good night for all and maybe generates a repeat or two in the years ahead.

I think the numbers here are a good reason for not doing it again 🙂

We can’t go to Barclays and ask for £1,000 sponsorship for a regional event when we can’t get 10 people together for free drinks in Liverpool.

We’ll sell 500 tickets for the London event within 10 minutes (hopefully!).

This was not the point I was making. Anyone who reads HfP for any length of time will be aware of the pull of London, but opening up an invite for an evening when already in Liverpool (or Edinburgh) is a nice gesture and was welcomed.

kevind 46 posts

Thank you to Rob and Rhys for the gesture. We should be buying you drinks given how much money hfp has saved us over the years and how much your advice has helped to improve our travel experiences.

Next time you guys are in Belfast, give me a shout and I’ll buy you the best Guinness in town!

TGLoyalty 494 posts

Conflicts with a Parents Evening for me otherwise I’d drive across. Shame I can’t make it but I really welcome the initiative. Hopefully it’s a good night for all and maybe generates a repeat or two in the years ahead.

We can’t go to Barclays and ask for £1,000 sponsorship for a regional event when we can’t get 10 people together for free drinks in Liverpool.

Tbf 1 days notice isn’t really going to bring the numbers.

Save the date for the London event was a months notice.

For example Id happily meet for a drink in Birmingham or anywhere else local but would need a weeks notice in reality.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

My guess is there could be more to this than just a complimentary beverage.

Not unless Rhys is spending his own money 🙂 He won’t be drinking much anyway as he’s got a Stena Line the next morning.

yorkshireRich 187 posts

I love the invitation but 2 days notice is just too short for me on this occasion. London is a months notice and I generally would have been able to attend but unfortunately in this instance, I can’t attend London either.

I think people who are check this site regularly and make it part of there life (like myself) would love to meet but 2 days notice just isn’t viable. For future reference, Anywhere in West Yorkshire (and even South Yorkshire), I’ll do it at an hours notice.

Royback 115 posts

Krug for 3 then!

Super Secret Stuff 365 posts

Tbf a few days notice is cutting it short, I can only make it as my friend bailed on a pub quiz and I’m single with no kids

Mart16 48 posts

The whinging on this thread!!! Give me strength. Good on you Rhys and Rob for the offer.

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

A week or two notice and you’d have had a lot more people, even without the lure of free drinks.

Agreed.
    Can’t compare this to a properly organised official event in London.

This isn’t a ‘properly organised event’. This is me taking time out of my evening to say hi, for those that want to 🙂

Anyway, I’ve just emailed everyone that I think said they were interested with details of where/when, so if you didn’t receive an email leave a note here!

jontlancaster 4 posts

I’d happily join you for a drink – thank you very much.

Aston100 1,382 posts

The whinging on this thread!!! Give me strength. Good on you Rhys and Rob for the offer.

What whinging? please cite examples.

I didn’t get an email, looking forward to it though 🙂

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

You should have now!

Aston100 1,382 posts

Hope you all have a great evening.
    Take photos and share them here!

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,084 posts

Thanks Rhys. I had to leave for a train but proceedings are still going on. As my PhD (pre-holiday diet) isn’t going well I can thankfully say no pics were taken while I was there.

Royback 115 posts

Thanks for a lovely evening all. Great to meet you Rhys and everyone else. Some great stories and tips! The London meet up will be epic!

Thank you for a lovely evening everyone!

@Blair Waldorf Salad I should’ve gone with you, my train was 45 mins delayed!And it was a slow one

angiemcc 2 posts

Lovely to meet everybody, particularly Checker the dog (sorry I know I’ve got the spelling wrong!). Will be interested in Rhys’s review of the hotel – still so new it smelt of paint and wallpaper paste.
    @BlairWaldorfSalad you don’t need a PhD…..

The Savage Squirrel 567 posts

I hope everyone had a good time.

I’d agree that this comparison is a little unfair and so probably shouldn’t entirely determine future choices. You wouldn’t get 500 people in 10 minutes if you just posted on the forum that you were around for free drinks with 1 day’s notice, even if it was in The City.

I hope you can do “pop up Rhys” again elsewhere :D.

Aston100 1,382 posts

Surely someone must have taken photos?
    At least tell us the venue?

Lovely to meet everybody, particularly Checker the dog (sorry I know I’ve got the spelling wrong!). Will be interested in Rhys’s review of the hotel – still so new it smelt of paint and wallpaper paste.
    @BlairWaldorfSalad you don’t need a PhD…..

Spelling is correct don’t worry! It was good to meet you!

Surely someone must have taken photos?
    At least tell us the venue?

It was the Municipal in Liverpool, just opened. Very nice. No photos though

raveon 5 posts

Echo the thanks to Rhys (Rob) for the drinks and what felt like an exclusive booking of the hotel bar. It was a pleasant evening and good to put a few faces to usernames ;-). Looking forward to a mention and photo of the 200 yard bus transfer in the Stena review.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.