Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Naples flights for April changed to later times, but earlier flights added?

• JohnTh 61 posts

Our Naples Avios flights for April both changed to later times (2+ and 4+ hours later) but keeping the same flight number. However new flights have been added to schedule for the original times? 20 mins on phone and they have “as an exception” let me move the flights to the earlier new flight numbers that are at the same times I had before (confused? – I was!). PS these were flights that had already been moved from LGW to LHR, which we had accepted months ago at the earlier times. Still a large cash refund on this booking reference (as were USA Avios flights originally) as tickets still not issued, so hoping that gets sorted too.

Lady London 2,040 posts

I think the moral of this story is don’t accept any changes – even if you can make them work – till much nearer the time.

It sounds as though BA moved your flight number to Heathrow and at the same time changed the time fairly significantly.

BA’s new rule of claiming passengers should accept a flight change of up to 5 hours is really unfair. This really means BA wants to be able to move a flight you have booked, to anytime within a 10 hour period not a 5 hour period. Because it’s 5 hours *either side* from the time you booked. For me this could make a flight literally unuseable.
    Because it wouldn’t work with available transport arrangements to or from a number of places I fly.

Best would have been for you not to have accepted the move so readily but held back in case of further changes. At that time the change of airport gave you the right to choose your own new preferred dates instead, as well as other options. By accepting ypu lost those options which you could have held open longer. (BA used to try to say Gatwick and Heathrow count as the same airport so they didn’t really move a flight. BUt I gather this didn’t really work. Nor should it).

I personally would be extremely annoyed if BA now tried to tell me they were doing me some great favour by “letting” me travel at the original time I’d booked.

I think BA needs to be kept an eye on for this sort of thing. I can’t put my finger on why exactly they’ve done what they’ve done with the flights but it feels like they did it to try to reduce the risk of you claiming some rights you had.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.