Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Need to cancel return leg of 2 for 1 booking. Options.

• xcalx 55 posts

I had the perfect 2 for 1 redemption booked that linked 2 transatlantic cruises, Barcelona to Barbados in Nov 22 and Mia to Copenhagen May 23.

Booking was BGI-LHR-MAN then DUB-LHR-MIA all in club. The Miami to Copenhagen cruise has been cancelled making the DUB-LHR-MIA redundant. Is there anyway to keep the BGI flight and cancel the DUB flight ( this was added after the BGI flight)

Option 2 The BGI flight is Nov 27th 2022 can i move the MAY flights to November 5th 2023 and swop to DUB-LHR-NYC.

Hope someone can make sense of these ramblings. I usually only book oneways so knowledge of returns is very weak Thanks

NorthernLass 7,493 posts

Is this 2 separate bookings, with different PNR’s? If so, see what happens if you try and cancel the 2nd leg via MMB. Or change dates, also via MMB. Changing to NYC (which I think would need a phone call) might be a problem as it’s in a different zone from MIA but sometimes these things just depend on which CSA you get.

xcalx 55 posts

Is this 2 separate bookings, with different PNR’s? If so, see what happens if you try and cancel the 2nd leg via MMB. Or change dates, also via MMB. Changing to NYC (which I think would need a phone call) might be a problem as it’s in a different zone from MIA but sometimes these things just depend on which CSA you get.

@ NL Thanks for the swift reply. I assume its 1 booking as I only have 1 booking number although I did add the DUB-LHR-MIA flight a few days after the original booking. I have tried to access MMB but keep getting the “not available at this time”

I have just managed to access MMB I can’t see a change option just cancel and receive a voucher. All flights are listed under the one booking number.

SamG 1,641 posts

You are now apparently allowed to change zones

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2087557-avios-redemptions-some-improved-amendment-options-july-2022-a.html

So I think that’d be the best option, you can’t get a partial refund without cancelling and you’d be at high risk of the seat not coming back to rebook

NorthernLass 7,493 posts

Ah ok. Yes, if it’s all on one PNR you won’t be able to cancel one leg online. Sounds like @SamG’s advice is the best way to go.
    I guess this is always going to be a possibility when the 241 is used for 2 separate trips. I’d be inclined to have each leg on a separate booking to avoid this issue, especially as I often book flights separately using the 241 and reclaim the 50% avios later.

xcalx 55 posts

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2087557-avios-redemptions-some-improved-amendment-options-july-2022-a.html

So I think that’d be the best option, you can’t get a partial refund without cancelling and you’d be at high risk of the seat not coming back to rebook

Thanks for the info. One more question, can I change the return dates after the outbound has been used.

xcalx 55 posts

Ah ok. Yes, if it’s all on one PNR you won’t be able to cancel one leg online. Sounds like @SamG’s advice is the best way to go.
    I guess this is always going to be a possibility when the 241 is used for 2 separate trips. I’d be inclined to have each leg on a separate booking to avoid this issue, especially as I often book flights separately using the 241 and reclaim the 50% avios later.

Many thanks again. Just lost a long reply somehow. will wait to see if it posts later

xcalx 55 posts

Thanks for the info. One more question, can I change the return dates after the outbound has been used.

many thanks again. Argh this is where I went wrong. I booked the first legs online then a few days later called to add the second legs,( after reading here about open jaw rules) the agent re taxed the whole trip and took the extra avios and taxes linking both bookings to one ref. I will remember to book the second legs online with full avios then call to link If I try this type of booking again.

If I manage to book a decent flight from BGI home (I have seat spy set up) then cancel the whole booking by phoning will I get the avios, 2 for1 and taxes minus the £70 or £140 cancelation fees.

SamG 1,641 posts

yes that’s right

your NYC plan is better though carries a bit of risk as once you’ve flown the outbound you can’t get a refund, so if plans change again then you’re out of pocket – need to be sure you’d fly something within 1 yr and within the open jaw rules (per Rob’s recent article: “The geographic distance between your original landing airport and your new departure airport must be SHORTER than either of the two flights” )

I just had a quick look – BGI-London on 27th is very busy, almost no chance of other Avios seats coming up. 28th looks slightly better but still unlikely

NorthernLass 7,493 posts

Virgin has economy award seats back from BGI on Nov 28th and 29th if that’s any use. Otherwise you could get home via the US, e.g. if you return from JFK/EWR/BOS there are day flights which would be manageable in Y and would cost you 25k avios plus £50 pp. Obviously don’t book a CW flight one way from the US as you’ll get gouged for taxes!

*I am also really intrigued by the idea of a cruise which goes from Miami to Copenhagen! Which ports of call does it feature?

xcalx 55 posts

Virgin has economy award seats back from BGI on Nov 28th and 29th if that’s any use. Otherwise you could get home via the US, e.g. if you return from JFK/EWR/BOS there are day flights which would be manageable in Y and would cost you 25k avios plus £50 pp. Obviously don’t book a CW flight one way from the US as you’ll get gouged for taxes!

*I am also really intrigued by the idea of a cruise which goes from Miami to Copenhagen! Which ports of call does it feature?

Thanks for the time and effort you have afforded me, I have my eye on the Virgin flights, MAN and LHR and have set up a few alerts on seat spy for Premium and upper for the week from 27 Nov, also economy flights are available on Aer Lingus direct to MAN. Checking Virgin also for KLM flights and found a BGI-POS-AMS-MAN but it was the 26th good deal though at 48.5k and £307 pp in business with only 1h30m between flights.

The Miami to Copenhagen cruise only had 3 stops, 2 days in Bermuda and 1 day in Le Havre and Bruges.

SamG 1,641 posts

From what I’ve heard/read those Aer Lingus flights to MAN are running pretty empty, might not be a bad option for a poor mans business class

NorthernLass 7,493 posts

I’ve never seen business redemption seats on that route. I’d do economy if it was a day flight but trying to get 5 hours sleep in that cabin would finish me off!

@Xcalx
    – in-laws in Bermuda have told us that cruise pax have been getting very shirty about the outrageous prices of everything, plus apparently being charged a new $40 tax by the Bermuda government just to disembark!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.