Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards New Curve Card grief

• cinereus 161 posts

Anyone else had similar issues and managed to resolve them?

My (commercial) curve card is due to expire at the end of July. It seems Curve sent out a new card about two weeks ago. Ever since they did this Google Pay has stopped working. Even if I delete and read the card from scratch it doesn’t work. I can still pay normally with the physical card or online.

The new card finally arrived this week much later than promised. I tried to activate it in app and was told there was an error three times. However, after reinstalling the app it now claims it has been activated.

My issue is that Google Pay still won’t work. Whether I use the add to Google Pay button in the Curve app or manually add the card, I keep getting the same error “Can’t set up for contactless payment, contact your bank”.

Of course Curve haven’t responded to in app messages for days and the phone line has been deactivated for months now. I still can’t add my card to Google Pay.

Has anyone managed to resolve this? (also the new card design is ugly as hell)

Mr. AC 46 posts

Experiencing the same issue, but with re-adding my old unexpired card to a new phone. Curve support said they’ll look into it, that was two weeks ago. It’ll probably get resolved eventually.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

Curve have pretty much run it’s course now. The days of it being a viable product are well and truly over especially with the upcoming changes

JDB 4,384 posts

Curve have pretty much run it’s course now. The days of it being a viable product are well and truly over especially with the upcoming changes

Curve claims c. 3m customers and has just launched in the US. You can be fairly sure that the upcoming changes – i.e. gradually getting rid of free cards is something being done from a position of strength rather than weakness. There were some on here who wrote Curve off after Creationgate…

Harrier25 852 posts

Curve claims c. 3m customers and has just launched in the US. You can be fairly sure that the upcoming changes – i.e. gradually getting rid of free cards is something being done from a position of strength rather than weakness. There were some on here who wrote Curve off after Creationgate…

A position of strength, really? Curve are well known for inflating their user figures. They may well have issued 3m cards, but their active users are nowhere near 3m, I would be suprised if it was 1m. A mainstream product? Curve is not.

Harrier25 852 posts

Although a little outdated now, here is something to back up my claim above…Two sources provided information to Business Insider which suggested only 72,000 of Curve’s 500,000 customers have used their card once a month or more. Source: https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/34862/curves-customers-far-outnumber-active-users-leaked-figures-suggest#:~:text=Curve%2C%20the%20London%20based%20fintech%2C%20has%20come%20under,and%20debit%20cards%20into%20one%20app%20and%20card.

The Urbanite 118 posts

It still allows £12k a day spend at places that wouldn’t normally accept credit cards fee free or at all.

Perhaps it’s no longer any good for the low hanging manufactured spend routes, or savings account deposits but it is still a great value proposition for some!

I still think it was Curve making MS easy that triggered the biggest cull of MS activity seen on an industrial scale – now that was what wasn’t really viable, it seems to have irked the rewards credit card issuers.

John 1,000 posts

Curve lets me turn a (non-UK) chip&sign card into a chip&PIN card, so I’ll continue using it for that. I notice the app says you can no longer add non-EEA cards though lol

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

The bottom line is very simple – does Curve offer anything for Mr Average? No.

Carlos 758 posts

I recall users still complaining about not being able to use their barclaycard avios plus on curve. Is this fixed this?

PeteM 709 posts

I recall users still complaining about not being able to use their barclaycard avios plus on curve. Is this fixed this?

That was a 2FA issue, at least for me. Got fixed when that got fixed.

Harrier25 852 posts

The credit card providers seem to be ganging up on them as a collective movement too.

Mr. AC 46 posts

Well, depends on who Mr. Average is. If Mr. Average has a points / cashback earning card – I’d argue the value proposition is very simple: “Pay a lower FX fee when you travel while earning points”. Even on the fully free card, even after spending over the 2k£ free limit the fee is 2%, and not the “industry-standard” 2.99% that e.g. Avios Barclaycard would charge.

SamG 1,644 posts

Upgraded to X , new card and card details which is a royal pain as I’m away, have Curve on many subscriptions etc. Can’t add the new card to Google pay which based on a couple of their support forum pages I found has been an ongoing issue for months for some users. So it’s dead now for me !

List 26 posts

Upgraded to X , new card and card details which is a royal pain as I’m away, have Curve on many subscriptions etc. Can’t add the new card to Google pay which based on a couple of their support forum pages I found has been an ongoing issue for months for some users. So it’s dead now for me !

Full card details available in the app. Click on account tab,> card details.

I upgraded on Wednesday and new card arrived on Friday.

John 1,000 posts

I’ve paid for X and have not received a new card, nor does it look like a new card will be produced or sent.

SamG 1,644 posts

I received the new card at home v quickly. I’m not at home though and adding to Google pay either manually or from the button in the app doesn’t work

https://community.curve.com/t/google-pay-issue/40325/8

Potentially this long standing issue but have emailed them

SamG 1,644 posts

Just to follow up, they’ve advised me that my Google pay is affected by this long standing issue with no timeline to fix. So I’ll just cancel the account as it’s now useless to me

masaccio 722 posts

Wow, lots of Curve hate. What did they do to y’all?

Carlos 758 posts

Wow, lots of Curve hate. What did they do to y’all?

stop supporting amex within hours – after days or even weeks of shilling it customers and the world wide web
    claim they will or have taken amex to court and that it will come back – oh the audacity
    beef up customer user stats to get mega funding – who doesnt these days?
    poor customer service – days or even weeks of ignoring
    MS game is pretty much over

there are some pros as opposed to cons left though

Rui N. 831 posts

You can do at least £122.4k of MS per year. Dead indeed.

Harrier25 852 posts

I’ve had a fruitful time since 2016 as a black, now black legacy card holder and long may it continue, but I have started planning for life when Curve is no more because I just can’t see a future for it. As MS routes close one by one it desperately needs to find avenues to appeal to a mainstream audience and for years, its customer service experience has been dire.

Rui N. 831 posts

One should always assume that MS routes will close sooner or later. Curve is no exception – and it has lasted much longer than most.
    Of course I also liked it better when I could do £500k+ per year for free instead of <£150k while paying. But we got to thank Mr. X for that one ending.

masaccio 722 posts

Yes but that will cost an ‘outrageous’ 150 quid a year for Metal.

I’m a new customer so I never had the Amex woes, but the travel insurance has better scuba cover than most policies outside of DAN and the car insurance is plenty good enough for what I am renting this holiday. I will pay my tax bill and my wife’s tax bill starting in a couple of months. If it all falls apart after that or my Barclays card gets cancelled then so be it.

This stuff never lasts for ever. Remember all those interest free rates where you could endlessly get free money for ever? I recall I was making a couple of grand a year for a bit doing that. But it ended as these things do.

The Urbanite 118 posts

Yes but that will cost an ‘outrageous’ 150 quid a year for Metal.

I’m a new customer so I never had the Amex woes, but the travel insurance has better scuba cover than most policies outside of DAN and the car insurance is plenty good enough for what I am renting this holiday. I will pay my tax bill and my wife’s tax bill starting in a couple of months. If it all falls apart after that or my Barclays card gets cancelled then so be it.

This stuff never lasts for ever. Remember all those interest free rates where you could endlessly get free money for ever? I recall I was making a couple of grand a year for a bit doing that. But it ended as these things do.

I’d quite happily pay £150 to get £1.2k worth of rewards or cashback.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.