New Curve Card grief
9th August 2022 at 16:21The Urbanite
Wow, lots of Curve hate. What did they do to y’all?
stop supporting amex within hours – after days or even weeks of shilling it customers and the world wide web
claim they will or have taken amex to court and that it will come back – oh the audacity
beef up customer user stats to get mega funding – who doesnt these days?
poor customer service – days or even weeks of ignoring
MS game is pretty much over
there are some pros as opposed to cons left though
As well as
– Allow two cards on one account with their own set of limits, totalling £300k a month/£3.2m pa
– Turn a blind eye to deposits to NS&I and Kent Reliance savings accounts and HMRC payments for years
– Turn off MCC passthrough which meant the Creation IHG and Marriott cards could be maxed out to full spending capacity and points could be earned on cash withdrawals
– Facilitated the paying off of credit cards that had been used for MS in order to double dip
– Paid out Curve Cash at retailers where unlimited volume MS routes were available
To be honest, as a company they created easy opportunities to generate serious amounts of points which were never going to last forever, but lasted way longer than expected.
Generating points on Amex has been entirely possible without Curve – for example the Swipe cashback debit card accepted Amex topups up to £16k a week per funding card for free. And Amex could be used to top up prepaid cards at the Post Office self service machines. Curve probably did a lot of people a favour no longer taking Amex as if you get flagged MSing during a credit review (aka financial review in the US), your accounts would be gone.
Curve is still a good product for people prepared to adapt to the current market conditions, which are decided anti-MS where the low hanging fruit routes are concerned!9th August 2022 at 16:46Rui N.
Creation lasted many years after MCC codes started being passed through.9th August 2022 at 18:04The Urbanite
Creation lasted many years after MCC codes started being passed through.
Yes, but a lot of the easy routes were through MCC 6012 merchants, which Creation put very low spend limits on. When Wirecard collapsed and passthrough switched off, it became easier to spend on it and Capital on Tap too.
Don’t get me wrong, it was child’s play to MS Creation through MCC 4829 and other routes – was going on for years without any issues until Curve came and presumably facilitated volumes that forced the issuers hand in putting a stop to it. One easy route was topping up MoneyMailMe. Easy points until one day their MCC changed to 7372 which was bizarrely revealed to be a cash advance MCC in Creation’s logic! Fortunately it changed to 6012 not long after.9th August 2022 at 20:22Rui N.
Most people just put £9k per day on Ernie.10th August 2022 at 13:03The Urbanite
Most people just put £9k per day on Ernie.
That’s alright if you have a big enough bankroll to do this with the 8 days its takes to get the deposit back!
Some of the Creation friendly routes had a much shorter cycle, i.e. using it to make an instant deposit to current account or debit card.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The perfect airport doesn’t exist, but the new Paris Charles de Gaulle ‘Extime’ upgrade is close
Bits: new Qatar insurance rules, design a BA beer can for Brewdog, free Fairmont night from Emirates
How to time your promotion to British Airways Executive Club Silver status to maximise benefits
Bits: fly BA Club World on short haul – or fly Titan, Virgin ends Plaza Premium Clubhouse access
Bits: eGate trial for 10-11 year olds, last day to save on passport fees, Corinthia London deal
New to Head for Points?
Welcome! We’re the UK’s most-read source of business travel, Avios, frequent flyer and hotel loyalty news. Let us improve how you travel. Got any questions? Ask them in our forums.
Latest Forum Posts
- jh785 on Easiest way to get to £10k spend on BAPP
- Rui N. on Easiest way to get to £10k spend on BAPP
- bruinbrown on Korea
- jamesturk on BA executive club app updated and now with limited searching for reward flights
- George K on InterContinental Rome Ambasciatori Palace
- Guernsey Globetrotter on Hotel recommendation for an overnight stay + parking for Heathrow T5
- BA Flyer IHG Stayer on BAEC complaint resolution advice
- JDB on Barclays Premier Banking upgrade voucher after 1 year
- atcoloz on Easiest way to get to £10k spend on BAPP
- Carlos on Chat thread – Monday 6th February
Check reward flight availability instantly for free!
Booking a luxury hotel?
Our luxury hotel booking service offers you GUARANTEED extra benefits over booking direct. Works with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, The Ritz Carlton, St Regis and more. We've booked £1.7 million of rooms to date. Click for details.