Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic No longer able to pay with debit card through the app

• DarrenS 91 posts

Apparently now only able to pay using automated phone service with a £750 limit.

roger 232 posts

Yes, I see not possible to use debit card via App, may be due to Curve?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

This was such a crap system I’m surprised anyone did. It refused to save your card details and even insisted on a ‘country’ wheel with Afghanistan at the top for country of card issuance.

I have now set it up as a payee in my online banking. I can open my HSBC app and pay in about 30 seconds. Until they add ‘pay by bank’ it’s the quickest way.

roger 232 posts

Yes, I wanted to say that too 🙁
    UK not at the top of the list, Believe I have same issue with Virgin Media account!

strickers 651 posts

I think the Virgin app is awful. Pending transactions sometimes appear twice, then some say pending on the transactions page and some don’t but when you click the transaction details it says pending.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Thanks for the heads up. They did make it an absolute pain paying by debit card, as Rob says.

BBbetter 641 posts

They were probably paying 0.2% on the debit card receipts. Now saved.
    Every little helps.

can2 467 posts

Just gets better and better..

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Do their branches work like Barclays in that you can walk in with a wad of cash to pay your bill and tell them you don’t believe in banks 🤷‍♀️😂

Super Secret Stuff 357 posts

Do their branches work like Barclays in that you can walk in with a wad of cash to pay your bill and tell them you don’t believe in banks 🤷‍♀️😂

Everyone meet up on MAN Market street just before closing time 🤣

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

Great idea, we can have a northern HFP party after depositing our moolah.

Alex G 435 posts

This was such a crap system I’m surprised anyone did. It refused to save your card details and even insisted on a ‘country’ wheel with Afghanistan at the top for country of card issuance.

I have now set it up as a payee in my online banking. I can open my HSBC app and pay in about 30 seconds. Until they add ‘pay by bank’ it’s the quickest way.

That’s what they have added to replace paying by debit card.

Could be an inconvenience for anyone with a Halifax Rewards Current Account (or 3 😉) who needs to pay £500 a month by debit card to get the Halifax fiver.

Olly 242 posts

Farcical that they don’t even make it easy to pay off your VM credit card from a VM bank account. One less Curve double-dipping opp, oh well

Alex G 435 posts

Farcical that they don’t even make it easy to pay off your VM credit card from a VM bank account. One less Curve double-dipping opp, oh well

I’ve just paid my VAMC directly from my Barclays current account using the Virgin Money CC App. This is a new feature that has replaced payment by debit card. I assume it works with Virgin Money current accounts as well (although it is perhaps foolish to assume anything where Virgin Money IT is concerned).

(Hit the report button in error. Sorry.)

RonnieB 288 posts

Interestingly when you phone up try and pay by debit card, the phone messaging system tells you that you can pay by debit card in the app. Oh dear.

Gave them that feedback as I cancelled my basic card!

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

@Alex G, or a Vue ticket! Hopefully Barclaycard will continue to accept debit card payments.

WilkoBRFC 5 posts

Interestingly when you phone up try and pay by debit card, the phone messaging system tells you that you can pay by debit card in the app. Oh dear.

Gave them that feedback as I cancelled my basic card!

I noticed this earlier today too. I eventually got through to the automated payment line, for them to not accept my BA Prepaid Mastercard as a valid payment method. Looks like that nice little points earner has ended slightly earlier than expected.

icemankaka 12 posts

if i cant pay my council tax bill on amex, i’ll figure a way to activate the voucher which i might not use then close the account.
    otherwise, this card is done for. if something changes, i’ll get the welcome offer then.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

It would seem to be back. Maybe their phone system couldn’t cope!

RonnieB 288 posts

Yes it is – just paid by Debit card, power to the people!

BY the way, related – if you gain a Virgin upgrade voucher, do you need to use a Virgin card to use it??

can2 467 posts

phew, yes it is.
    I timed it, calling them just to make a payment with a debit took me nine glorious minutes.

NorthernLass 7,592 posts

I thought it had gone again yesterday but maybe it just wasn’t showing as I had gone slightly into credit. Now I owe them £200, the card option has re-appeared!

I wonder what changed their minds?

@RonnieB
    , no, any payment card is fine.

DarrenS 91 posts

It looks like this is back again. No option showing in the App.

Harrier25 852 posts

Yes, option to pay by debit card is no longer available again. 😞

deerhunter290378 3 posts

Anyone tried paying multiple times over the phone , say on consecutive days ? , i wanted to pay £6000 off the card with curve (£3000 end april then £3000 in may) using the fronted limit , then transfer back via balance transfer offer 🙂 , anyone tried to see if it works daily or more than once?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.