Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios No way to apply

• ClubSmed 170 posts

I am already a Barclaycard customer, but not a Barclays customer.
    I have started the application in the app, then get to a stage where it says that I cannot progress any further and need to make an appointment in Branch and bring ID.
    I have called to make an appointment in Branch, but there are no appointments to be had in November so I am unable to move forward with my application.
    This is VERY frustrating!
    I can’t see why they need to verify ID as I am already a customer, and proof of earnings could be sent via the app surely?

stevenhp1987 330 posts

I received a letter after my application asking me to go into a branch with ID despite verifying myself using the credit report questions.

No appointments until December. Agents don’t seem to care.

Not going to be swapping to Barclays then!

Andrew. 483 posts

I received a letter after my application asking me to go into a branch with ID despite verifying myself using the credit report questions.

No appointments until December. Agents don’t seem to care.

Not going to be swapping to Barclays then!

Just turn up at a branch.

ClubSmed 170 posts

I tried just turning up at the branch this morning, only to be told there were no appointments to be had in November

jj 517 posts

@ClubSmed, I had exactly the same problem. My branch was willing to try to fit me in between appointments given the deadline, but that didn’t work for me as it could have taken several hours.

An online chat agent redirected me to the premier phone line, which wasn’t shown in my letter, and they managed to find several appointment options in nearby pop-up branches that I didn’t know existed. I suggest you call 08009247365 and explain the problem.

Barclays really should have a better process, though.

ClubSmed 170 posts

Thanks @jj
    I called that number and have managed to get a Video Appointment, let’s see if that works out…
    I completely agree that Barclays really need a better process!

AFKAE 144 posts

I successfully applied for the Avios Plus card, but I can’t see anywhere on the Barclays app to apply for the Premier account. I am talking about the Barclays app and not the Barclaycard app.

Now I’m retired I don’t meet the criteria for earnings, but happy to try the base account followed by upgrade to Premier route……….if only I could find the way in!

yorkieflyer 259 posts

Mrs Yorkieflyer just turned up in branch and had her ID verified after the app wouldn’t play ball. Starting application again after ID verified and now the App says go to Branch to complete the application! What an f***ing shambles this outfit are

ClubSmed 170 posts

Thanks @jj
    I called that number and have managed to get a Video Appointment, let’s see if that works out…
    I completely agree that Barclays really need a better process!

I had my Video Appointment today and managed to successfully open the Premier Account. The switching of my existing Barclaycard Platinum to an Avios Plus card seems to problematic. The app only shows the ability to change to the Avios card, not the Avios Plus. Maybe it will update in the system overnight? If not I can see hours of calls to Barclays to have to resolve this in time…

ClubSmed 170 posts

Looks like I will not be able to avail myself of the 100k offer as nobody seems to be able to assist me in changing my Platinum Card to the Avios Plus card. The app will only let me chose the basic Avios card (or Barclaycard Rewards), so I am only able to get the bonus for opening the Premier Account.
    Hopefully they will run this offer again soon and I will be able to get it that time, if not, I do not think I will be sticking with Barclays as this has been a bit of a shambles!

HughM 71 posts

We are transferring a joint account over from Lloyds to Premier, and are also both holders of the free Barclay Avios card. On Saturday, we received (joint) letters asking us to identify ourselves at the local branch (South West). I stuck my head round the door, and was told it was fine to just wander in. Later in the day, we did just that. There was quite a bit of sitting around, and passport photographing (each person holds their passport open). But the lady from Barclays did all the difficult button pressing, and we are now set up for all the Avios offers. Switch will complete by 29th Nov. No-one ever said the word ‘appointment’. It took a couple of hours. My impression is there’s a bit of regional variation.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.