Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club oneworld Sapphire status benefits with Iberia Express HBO ticket

• alexm 44 posts

Looking for some advice please,
    I have Ba silver status, when flying Iberia express on a domestic basic hbo fare, do I get a free checked bag as part of the OW benefits? I believe it’s just BA hbo fare that doesn’t give this?
    Also, would my partner travelling on the same booking reference also recieve a free checked bag?

Thank you in advance

alexm 44 posts

As a side note, does the fast track security apply to just the member or also a guest on the same booking?

PB2 197 posts

Hi. The OWS card holder will get one extra checked bag free, even on HBO fares. Don’t think this extends to anyone else on booking though. You should also get seat selection too, subject to the dodgy IT, possibly for everyone in booking. Fast Track is technically a OWE benefit but Iberia/Iberia Express are very hit and miss at recognising this on a boarding pass even when OWE, so doubtful it will appear on yours. If it does, which could happen if departing their MAD hub, in my experience security usually let me take a guest even if they don’t have any entitlement to fast track. Of course you’ll get lounge access too with guest. OWS and OWE both get group 1 for boarding regardless of ticket class. Be prepared to submit a BA partner claim for the Avios and TP seven days after the flight – they should post 2-3 days after the claim (assuming you booked with iberia and an IB flight number that is – if direct with Iberia Express, crediting to Iberia+ is your only option to earn Avios, which in theory shouldn’t need a manual claim). On that note, if you have IB+ FF details in the booking, I’m not sure how you go about receiving BA OWS benefits other than showing card at lounge etc.? Interesting to hear how you get on.

PB2 197 posts

FYI, If booked via Iberia with IB flight number (which is perhaps 5-15% more expensive than booking on iberia express when logged in as an iberia express club member), not only do you get BA TP but also they count as the BA/iberia sectors required to renew status.

alexm 44 posts

Really appreciate the reply, it was cheaper on iberia than ib express somehow. £20 for lpa – mad next week so yeah I was able to enter my ff details and it has recognised it as I got the seat selection free for me and my partner (non status). We just have 1 bag so that’s fine anyway

PB2 197 posts

Nice one. During covid, and according to the website it’s actually still the case today, all passengers were able to also check in their cabin cases free of charge at the check in desk – so in theory you should be able to check one large case due status, plus 2 cabin size cases, all for free. Domestic flights can check in very early so you’ll probably be able to get boarding passes now.

https://www.iberiaexpress.com/en/general-info/passenger-information/before-you-go/baggage

PB2 197 posts

In my experience nothing online acknowledges your free large check in bag, but it will be honoured at the desk.

AJA 1,061 posts

Not sure if you’re aware but you will only get 20TP for the flight from LPA to MAD. I got caught out a few years ago as instead of flying LGW – LPA direct which earns 80TP even on an Iberia Express plane I opted to fly LHR-MAD-LPA and only got 60TP.

Ignore me just realised you’re flying economy. The TP above are for business. You will earn less if flying economy

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.