Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

• Doozer 3 posts

Hi all,

I have a pre-existing medical condition that is not covered by the plat insurance. My wife and I have a nationwide flexplus current account which also provides travel insurance- who will cover my condition with a small extra premium.

I am aware that double insurance can cause problems with insurers only paying out a share of any potential claim and leaving me liable to pay two excess payments.

At the end of the day, I would not wish to rely solely on the plat insurance due to my medical condition that they won’t cover.

If I would have to claim for a non medical reason (loss of luggage, missed departure etc) – is there any way around the issue other than deliberately not disclosing the second policy??

Can I “turn off” the plat insurance?

Thanks

Other wiser people can correct me, but I thought that the Platinum insurance specifies that it is always ‘Secondary’? [page 8: “Insurance benefits are secondary:…” etc.] This would mean that it is always ‘turned off’ if you have other insurance.

c_j 19 posts

Two questions re Supplementary cards –
    1. If I gift a Gold supplementary card from my amex platinum, is the insurance they get the same, or different?
    2. Does the recipient of the supplementary card need to be a UK resident?

alexm 44 posts

Just rented a car in portugal and the company didn’t accept amex to pay with. On that basis, would I be covered with the Amex Platinum excess benefit?

Thanks in advance

StanTheMan 217 posts

Just rented a car in portugal and the company didn’t accept amex to pay with. On that basis, would I be covered with the Amex Platinum excess benefit?

Thanks in advance

absolutely

YC 229 posts

Can someone confirm this email address is still the best place to get clarification on policy:
    help@axa-assistance.co.uk

Been almost a week without response. While I could call them, always like clarity in writing

malteser 32 posts

Car insurance – have looked at the documents but still not 100% sure so thought I ask here.

We are renting a 12 seater mini bus for one day for personal use in the UK from a local rental where we live. Is this covered by the insurer?

They don’t take Amex so paid using the Virgin credit card.

Guernsey Globetrotter 588 posts

Car insurance – have looked at the documents but still not 100% sure so thought I ask here.

We are renting a 12 seater mini bus for one day for personal use in the UK from a local rental where we live. Is this covered by the insurer?

Yes – as long as you can opt out of the rental company’s insurance and the card holder is named on the rental agreement then they (and a maximum of 5 drivers – including the card holder) are covered. You do not have to pay for the rental with your card…

Yes – as long as you can opt out of the rental company’s insurance and the card holder is named on the rental agreement then they (and a maximum of 5 drivers – including the card holder) are covered. You do not have to pay for the rental with your card…

Actually I’d phone to check this as the size of the vehicle (12 seater) may tip it into ‘commercial’ territory, which mean it falls outside the cover terms…

Michael C 671 posts

Is it correct that even if I pay for a (non-BA) flight with my
    BAPP, I’m still covered for that trip by my Amex plat insurance?

Charles Martel 124 posts

Related to Michael Cs question, if I purchase flights with a UK Plat, cancel and apply for an NZ Plat, will I be covered by the travel insurance on the NZ card as if I had used that?

Yes – the only part of the Platinum insurance that requires a purchase using the card is the purchase and refund protection.

Related to Michael Cs question, if I purchase flights with a UK Plat, cancel and apply for an NZ Plat, will I be covered by the travel insurance on the NZ card as if I had used that?

I would check the terms of the NZ card policy carefully. In the case of the UK card the travel cover element does NOT require a purchase on the card and is valid as long as the eligibility requirements are met : “The benefits described in this Policy Statement are dependent upon a Card being issued, the Card Account being valid and the Account balance having been paid in accordance with the Cardmember agreement at the time of any incident giving rise to a claim”.

Michael C 671 posts

Yes – the only part of the Platinum insurance that requires a purchase using the card is the purchase and refund protection.

Thanks, GG!

dannyrado 10 posts

A little urgent..

My elderly mother is in a taxi on the way to ALC at this moment. Easyjet have cancelled her flight to Manchester this morning.

She’s going straight to the jet2 desk. I’ve told her to pay on her Amex business plat. Is this correct? Assuming she needs to pay on the plat to make use of the Amex travel insurance?? Or would she be better paying on her Halifax clarity for instance, to avoid fx fees

ringingup 179 posts

My flight was cancelled by the airline and I arrived at the destination one day late. Therefore I lost one hotel night that was non refundable.

Would the insurance cover for this type of consequential loss?

JDB 4,374 posts

My flight was cancelled by the airline and I arrived at the destination one day late. Therefore I lost one hotel night that was non refundable.

I don’t believe the Amex Plat insurance covers this eventuality, but most other travel policies do.

safetycard 70 posts

Two Qs.

1. I’ve booked and paid for an upcoming holiday with my BAPP Amex. I’m about to change my Gold card to a Platinum Card. Will the travel insurance be valid for the upcoming trip, even though it’s already booked and paid for?

2. Assuming the travel insurance covers me and my family whether we’re travelling for leisure or business reasons?

Thanks!

ringingup 179 posts

I don’t believe the Amex Plat insurance covers this eventuality, but most other travel policies do.

I suspect you’re right. There is no provision for something like this in the T&C’s.

I’ve asked the airline first, if they don’t pay out, we‘ll try with my partner’s First Direct insurance.

ringingup 179 posts

Given that this insurance doesn’t cover for consequential losses due to the airline cancelling or delaying a flight (e.g missing a prebooked hotel night), what insurances do you have or would recommend to cover for this?

My partner has insurance with First Direct, which doesn’t cover for this kind of thing either.

cska 55 posts

Been following this thread for a while and noticed a few pages ago that someone mentioned they were told the insurance policy will cover you if someone else pays for the holiday or if you are unable to use Amex (e.g. acceptance issue). The poster said fairly definitively that you would be covered in this circumstances on all elements (including personal belongings protection, cancellation etc.). However I have just spoken to someone on the phone who read through the policy and has denied this.

I also don’t see anything in the policy which confirms this is the case. Anyone have experience of this or can refer to something written?

JDB 4,374 posts

Been following this thread for a while and noticed a few pages ago that someone mentioned they were told the insurance policy will cover you if someone else pays for the holiday or if you are unable to use Amex (e.g. acceptance issue). The poster said fairly definitively that you would be covered in this circumstances on all elements (including personal belongings protection, cancellation etc.). However I have just spoken to someone on the phone who read through the policy and has denied this.

I also don’t see anything in the policy which confirms this is the case. Anyone have experience of this or can refer to something written?

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of duff information given here about the policy. It’s best to look at the policy document under Para 3 and ‘Eligibility’ to check the answer.

Go197 78 posts

Does Amex Platinum insurance cover cycling?

I was sure it did. I’m sure I’ve checked the terms in the past and it did. But now I look at the “Insurance benefit centre”, which awkwardly doesn’t give a list of what is covered but requires you to type in the name of an activity. Cycling comes up as not covered.

The terms and conditions says for restrictions on cover:

“Participating in sports and activities which would not be considered usual holiday sports or participating
    in activities not included on the Sports and Winter Sports Activities list which is available by visiting”

Is cycling considered a “usual holiday sport”? It certainly is for me!

And that wording seems odd. Either it’s on the list or it isn’t. How could it be both on the list but not a “usual holiday sport”?

Same goes for riding motorcycles. I am convinced previous versions of the terms and conditions specified that riding motorcycles up to a certain CC with suitable licence was covered, but now I can’t find any mention of motorcycle, motorcycling, scooter, etc

Go197 78 posts

What a joke this is.

At the tool to check what activities are covered – https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/insurance/benefit-centre/search?sports=sports

Type cycling, it says no.
    Bicycling = no
    Mountain biking = no
    Mountain-biking = no

Mountain bicycling, YES! You are covered.

What a stupid way to operate.

Skywalker 698 posts

Generating insurance certificate – child under 25

Morning, I understand that the Platinum card covers children u25 living at home, but (silly question) I don’t understand if the cover certificate available for download can be simply completed in their names and downloaded, or if there is a different process (as in, contacting Amex/Axa) to ensure that they are named and insured?

TIA

kiley 144 posts

Generating insurance certificate – child under 25

Morning, I understand that the Platinum card covers children u25 living at home, but (silly question) I don’t understand if the cover certificate available for download can be simply completed in their names and downloaded, or if there is a different process (as in, contacting Amex/Axa) to ensure that they are named and insured?

Done this for 17yrs old living at home and traveling alone next month. Filled in the form as normal and was emailed the certificate straight away.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.