Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

• Nachmon9 17 posts

I’m a additional (gold) cardholder to the platinum, do I need to use this specific card to be entitled to the travel insurance or is any of the cards in my amex account good enough?

I think only Platinum cardholders and supplementary Platinum cardholders get the travel insurance benefit. I don’t think supplementary Gold cardholders do…

I believe it does, see this article https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/01/11/american-express-supplementary-card-benefits/

“If a Platinum Cardmembers issues a complimentary Gold or Green Additional Card – you can issue five in total but only one can be Platinum – it will come with the travel insurance benefit but not the other benefits listed above.”

Nachmon9 17 posts

I’m a additional (gold) cardholder to the platinum, do I need to use this specific card to be entitled to the travel insurance or is any of the cards in my amex account good enough?

Anyone?

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

Anyone?

I believe you would be covered but recommend that you read the policy yourself https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/en-gb/benefits/UK-Platinum-insurance-documentation-May-2023.pdf

Nachmon9 17 posts

Thanks

Cat 120 posts

I believe it does, see this article https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/01/11/american-express-supplementary-card-benefits/

“If a Platinum Cardmembers issues a complimentary Gold or Green Additional Card – you can issue five in total but only one can be Platinum – it will come with the travel insurance benefit but not the other benefits listed above.”

Oh wow, somehow I always missed that bit of information. Suddenly wondering which of my friends would appreciate free travel insurance…!

Nachmon9 17 posts

Anyone?

I believe you would be covered but recommend that you read the policy yourself https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/en-gb/benefits/UK-Platinum-insurance-documentation-May-2023.pdf

Thanks.

lospatos 1 post

Hi

Thinking of signing up for a Platinum card. Couple of questions:

1. If we book a holiday / flights using companion voucher earned through a BA Amex card, do we have travel insurance? Or does the insurance only kick in where a trip is actually paid for with the Platinum card itself?

2. On the list of included sports covered under the policy, there is no mention of “cycling”, “road cycling”, or “bicycling”. IS this an oversight or is it simply not listed because “road cycling” is effectively just using a means of transport on a public highway? Mountain biking is expressly covered, along with a whole bunch of other stuff that’s inherently more dangerous than road cycling, but I need to know I am covered as I go on a lot of road cycling trips.

Many thanks

Ash 621 posts

Do you need to pay for car hire with Amex in order to be covered by their car hire excess cover insurance?

Ash 621 posts

the official answer from Axa….you don not need to pay with an Amex card

JM1987 11 posts

Morning everyone, quick question on AMEX Plat rental cover – I’ve used this loads so familiar with that.

This time, however, I’ll be hiring in Mexico, and I’ve read that additional insurance is required, but it’s a bit confusing online.

Anyone hired cars in Mexico before and know if the AMEX Platinum rental cover is enough, or if extra insurance needs to be purchased as well?

You posted this in the chat today as well! The answer is yes, you may need to buy additional insurance in Mexico.

Just to close the loop on this, and in case useful for anyone else in Mexico, I rented with Localiza (great service and cars) and no additional insurance was needed. The standard package included basic cover up to $350,000.00 public liability, and they were happy with the AMEX Platinum cover for anything else.

ashic 9 posts

Two questions:
    1. If I have to cancel a trip for which prepaid hotels / activities have been paid for, is the max amoutn £7,500 in total, or per person? In the policy document table on page 1, it says per person, however on page 10, it says “Up to £7,500 for Your unused travel, accommodation, …”
    (policy document is here: https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/en-gb/benefits/UK-Platinum-insurance-documentation-May-2023.pdf ).
    2. I believe these need to paid for my any Amex card in my account, not just Platinum. However, let’s say a tour operator doesn’t accept Amex, or possibly accepts Amex but only via Paypal, would we still be covered?

JDB 4,386 posts

@ashic – the IPID says £7,500 per insured person. Usually, if the supplier doesn’t take Amex you will need to provide evidence thereof and should then be covered. The policy, for the Cancellation section, says you need to use “the Card” which has a different definition in the document to “card account” or “account” also used in the policy which isn’t very helpful.

ashic 9 posts

@ashic – the IPID says £7,500 per insured person. Usually, if the supplier doesn’t take Amex you will need to provide evidence thereof and should then be covered. The policy, for the Cancellation section, says you need to use “the Card” which has a different definition in the document to “card account” or “account” also used in the policy which isn’t very helpful.

Thanks… I called them up, and they did say any amex for the same cardholder is ok. So the Card and Card Account and Account thing shouldn’t be an issue. Good to know if the provider doesn’t accept Amex, it’d be covered (as long as evidence that they don’t is given). I recall them paying out daughter’s doctor’s fees once as they only accepted Visa. Hopefully that extends to cancellations as well. Well… hopefully, the trip isn’t cancelled!

ashic 9 posts

Right… found a liveaboard dive trip in Indonesia we like, but then need to book way in advance due to availability. It’s a non-trivial amount (£7-8K total with 40% for booking) and they only support a) bank transfer via wise to a US account, or b) paypal with additional fees (they haven’t told us how much yet). Would we need to pay through paypal and an amex card for insurance to kick in? Although Paypal’s still a payment gateway, so there should be no difference wether it’s Wise or Paypal, right?

BajanNation 25 posts

What should I put down as the policy number for Amex Plat insurance when asked to do so by a tour holiday operator?

Professor Calculus 38 posts

Can anyone help ?

I have HSBC travel insurance as well as Amex in the event of a claim who should I use ?

Can I just pick one (probably Amex) and just put in a claim with them , as do not want to deal with 2 insurance companies who may start to pass the buck ?

Thanks

JDB 4,386 posts

Can anyone help ?

I have HSBC travel insurance as well as Amex in the event of a claim who should I use ?

Can I just pick one (probably Amex) and just put in a claim with them , as do not want to deal with 2 insurance companies who may start to pass the buck ?

Thanks

You can claim on whichever policy you think will give you the best result in terms of coverage and lower or no excess. You will almost certainly be asked in the claims process whether your claim might be covered elsewhere which you must tell them. The insurers will then deal with this behind the scenes and may share the cost, but you don’t need to get involved in that aspect.

tbtb31 75 posts

Car rental cover – I read the insurance docs and there is no mentioning of having to pay for the rental with your Platinum card in order to enjoy the benefit of the Platinum insurance cover, as mentioned by several members further above.

However, in the Amex Experiences app in section Insurance ->Care rental benefits ->Required Documents (where you can file an online claim), one of the documents required is “Proof of purchase on your American Express Card of the car rent or the name and address of the merchant if your chosen provider would not accept your Card”.

So which one is it now? How can they ask for this doc if the t&cs make no mention of such requirement? Does anyone have first-hand experience of a claim?

ThriceForgiven 57 posts

Somewhat leftfield question, but I have an Amex Plat and am claiming back the cost of AirAsia BKK – HKT flights for a trip that I was unable to take.

AXA insurance are asking me to ‘provide evidence I haven’t received a refund from the airline’ in order to provide the refund. They suggested an e-mail from AirAsia stating this but it feels like a lengthy road, and for the life of me I cannot find any way to contact AirAsia as they funnel you through some unhelpful online chatbot.

Does anyone have an e-mail address for AirAsia / suggestions on how to approach this ask from AXA?

EDIT: Just as a note, I never cancelled my booking (they would’ve given me back AirAsia credit) but just didn’t show up. I wonder if an easier way is to prove I just didn’t take the flight but not sure how.

BajanNation 25 posts

I’m getting conflicting views on the Internet whether skiing is covered or not. Nor is it clear to me in T&Cs. Does anyone have the definitive answer or personal experience? Thanks.

JDB 4,386 posts

I’m getting conflicting views on the Internet whether skiing is covered or not. Nor is it clear to me in T&Cs. Does anyone have the definitive answer or personal experience? Thanks.

See here, on the page after the medical conditions:-

https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/uk/benefits/UK_Platinum_Accepted_Conditions_and_Sports_Activities_list.pdf

If you have any doubts about any aspect of the cover, it’s always best to ask Amex/Axa rather than ask some random, get a duff answer (and plenty are) and only find out later the painful way.

BajanNation 25 posts

Thanks JDB. That’s very helpful.

mkdoc 21 posts

Have Amex platinum travel insurance as well as hsbc premier. Unwell currently with covid and needed some advice. I made a booking with my visa credit card.. does this mean I should claim with hsbc or would Amex cover me? Thanks

Professor Calculus 38 posts

I believe you have to book with Amex for the insurance to kick in so you may have to claim via HSBC.

DJ 95 posts

Have Amex platinum travel insurance as well as hsbc premier. Unwell currently with covid and needed some advice. I made a booking with my visa credit card.. does this mean I should claim with hsbc or would Amex cover me? Thanks

If you can provide some evidence to show that the provider didn’t take Amex at the time of booking, then you can still claim with Amex.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.