Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum insurance – MASTER THREAD

• AviosNovice 9 posts

Can someone please advise –

I’m in the US on holiday and the Amex travel line closed at 5pm uk time.
    I’ve had to go to a medical facility and they’re running blood tests on me. Which they will charge me for.
    It’s not life threatening, but would’ve been reckless to delay.

On the Amex page it says ‘all treatment must be approved in advance’ or similar.
    So will I be reimbursed for this, or am I looking at bankruptcy?
    I feel like if they’re not available 24/7, that’s a very prohibitive rule. But mainly posting for some reassurance from others who may have had a similar situation.

Thanks in advance.

JDB 4,386 posts

@AviosNovice – Amex does have a 24hr medical number + 44 20 3126 4109 but if you tried to call them on the main number, I wouldn’t worry. They may initially reject your claim on this technicality, but it won’t wash. They should at least have a recorded message with the out of hours number. To the extent that you can get in touch via email or telephone at the earliest opportunity to notify Amex of the issue that will be helpful.

I hope the medical issue all works out OK.

OneFineDay 1 post

Regarding the issue of whether Platinum Insurance Covers purchases made on a different AMEX card, I just spoke with the customer service team:

The benefits which require the purchase to be on the Platinum card (cancellation, Postponement, refund, belongings) – these only apply if you use the Platinum Card.

So (as in my case) I was looking to book flights on my BA AMEX card: I’ll get extra Avios by doing so, but won’t get the insurance protection. The BA card has belongings covered, and delays, but doesn’t have cancellation or postponement or cutting the trip back early).

A real pain, as the points are better on the BA card, but the insurance is better on the Platinum Card. Dilemma!

redethernet1 89 posts

Following a bereavement how long do Amex take to payout on a claim?

davekes 6 posts

Just signed up for the platinum card. I haven’t added a supplementary card holder yet.
    My wife would be the natural choice so we can combine spending for points. However my 20yr old daughter is going to Canada for a 2 month trip this summer.
    If I add my daughter as a sup card holder I know she will get the lounge and insurance benefits.
    But what if I add my wife and just book all my daughters travel using my card? Will she be eligible for all the travel inconvenience insurance ? (I know she won’t get lounges but that’s not a big deal at her age).

We had a poor insurance experience when she went to Oz last year, airline lost her bag for 3 days and insurance company didn’t pay out. After 3 months of emails the airline (Malaysian) eventually agreed to refund her additional costs, however the money never arrived and I gave up after 6 months.
    Hoping that the Amex cover is a smoother experience.

JDB 4,386 posts

@davekes – you should really read the policy document which does clarify the point you are asking. Provided your daughter meets the policy definition of child/children –

“Children” means any of Your children (including step-children, fostered or adopted children) under the age of 25, on the first day of a Trip who are legally dependent on You and who are not in full time employment.(The term Child shall have a corresponding meaning)”

then she should be covered and doesn’t need to use a Platinum card for the expenses incurred unlike an actual cardholder. However, it’s worth noting, when you read the policy, just how poor the ‘travel inconvenience’ section of the Amex Plat is; it actually covers very little compared to other policies.

Cat 120 posts

Hi all,

I was a bit confused after some of the comments I’ve read on this thread, as my sister is my supplementary cardholder (with a supplementary platinum card), and I’ve been telling her for years to book her travel on my card for the free insurance for her and her family. Several people have stated on this thread that my supp. cardholder’s family aren’t covered – which made me very nervous, as I wouldn’t want to send her abroad without my young nieces (who are the centre of my world, as far as I’m concerned) being covered. I’ve just phoned AXA, who have confirmed that they absolutely are. Her partner is covered, as are dependent children.

Also, this is stated on page 3 of this document, under “When does the cover start and end?”

https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/insurance/pdf/en-GB/IPIDandInsuranceDocumentforPlatinumCharge803PART2_V1.pdf

“Worldwide Travel Insurance provides cover for the Cardmember and Supplementary Cardmember, their respective partners
    and dependent children under the age of 25, whether travelling together or travelling alone on business and leisure trips of
    up to 90 days.”

Anyway, I spoke to a nice chap who told me to note the time and date of the call, so that if anyone at AMEX or AXA ever quibbles her family’s cover, I can refer them back to the recorded phone call, where their representative repeatedly assured me that they are covered.

I found that quite reassuring! I suggest you do the same, if you are unsure of your supp cardholder’s insurance entitlement. Have their platinum card number, as well as your own, to hand.

davekes 6 posts

Thank you. Looks like she will be covered as less than 90 days but I will phone them to confirm. I would prefer it if she didn’t need the card with her, as with the best will in the world a 20yr old backpacking may well misplace it.

JDB 4,386 posts

Thank you. Looks like she will be covered as less than 90 days but I will phone them to confirm. I would prefer it if she didn’t need the card with her, as with the best will in the world a 20yr old backpacking may well misplace it.

She shouldn’t need the card, you can print an insurance certificate for her and provide all the relevant contact details and if she needs to spend for a Travel Inconvenience claim, that’s provided for in the policy if a covered, non card holding person is travelling without the cardholder.

iEimis 79 posts

Have a situation where me and my friend were supposed to travel together to HK tomorrow. The Hotel was booked using my Amex Platinum and is non-refundable. Unfortunately, he became ill on Monday to the point where he doesn’t think he will be fit to travel tomorrow. I am still intending to travel, however, I suspect in the eyes of the insurance there is no way to get a partial refund on the hotel for him, since Amex Platinum only covers immediate family as well. Is this something that he would likely be able to claim through his insurance for half the cost of the hotel rate?

JDB 4,386 posts

Have a situation where me and my friend were supposed to travel together to HK tomorrow. The Hotel was booked using my Amex Platinum and is non-refundable. Unfortunately, he became ill on Monday to the point where he doesn’t think he will be fit to travel tomorrow. I am still intending to travel, however, I suspect in the eyes of the insurance there is no way to get a partial refund on the hotel for him, since Amex Platinum only covers immediate family as well. Is this something that he would likely be able to claim through his insurance for half the cost of the hotel rate?

You should be covered if you abandoned your trip owing to the illness of your travelling companion.

I don’t fully understand the question although if the question is that you were planning to share the cost of the room and now you will have to pay the whole cost, will the insurer pay your friend’s half – hmm!

I would note also that your friend hasn’t apparently suffered any loss for an insurer to compensate.

iEimis 79 posts

You should be covered if you abandoned your trip owing to the illness of your travelling companion.

I don’t fully understand the question although if the question is that you were planning to share the cost of the room and now you will have to pay the whole cost, will the insurer pay your friend’s half – hmm!

I would note also that your friend hasn’t apparently suffered any loss for an insurer to compensate.

Thanks. Yeah it was quite clear that if I was to abandon the trip, then the cost would be covered. I guess my question was, given that I paid on the card for the whole room but my friend may not be able to travel – was it possible to claim half of the hotel cost (to help him out really), however, in the eyes of the insurer since it’s a single room booking – technically I am not losing anything, which makes sense, but thought it was worth an ask.

redethernet1 89 posts

Following a successful claim, if part of the flight was upgraded by points will Amex provide points reimbursement cost for miles? (as the miles have expired, airline said they cant reissue ticket, hence going through cancellation route)

NYB90 5 posts

Foreign office is currently advising against all but essential travel to the parts of Israel that aren’t near the borders or west bank.
    Are these areas covered for travel insurance?
    Insurance docs exclude:
    4) Trips in, or booked to, countries where a government agency has advised against travelling or which are officially under
    embargo by the United Nations.

JDB 4,386 posts

Foreign office is currently advising against all but essential travel to the parts of Israel that aren’t near the borders or west bank.
    Are these areas covered for travel insurance?
    Insurance docs exclude:
    4) Trips in, or booked to, countries where a government agency has advised against travelling or which are officially under
    embargo by the United Nations.

You should double check with Amex but the ‘other’ parts of Israel are under an essential travel only advisory and the rest no travel so this would ordinarily not be covered by Amex Plat.

NYB90 5 posts

Thanks for the reply. Tried calling Amex but insurance department closed till Monday.
    Traveling for a nephew’s wedding rather than holiday which may be deemed essential although unsure this makes a difference.

JDB 4,386 posts

Thanks for the reply. Tried calling Amex but insurance department closed till Monday.
    Traveling for a nephew’s wedding rather than holiday which may be deemed essential although unsure this makes a difference.

Although the FCDO makes the distinction between all travel and essential travel, the Amex Plat policy wording doesn’t appear to make that distinction, which would appear not to offer cover at all with the current advice level.

Cat 120 posts

Although the FCDO makes the distinction between all travel and essential travel, the Amex Plat policy wording doesn’t appear to make that distinction, which would appear not to offer cover at all with the current advice level.

Second this, after various conversations with AMEX for areas under “all but essential” travel advisories. You should not expect to be covered, if you travel.

brian 85 posts

Regarding the issue of whether Platinum Insurance Covers purchases made on a different AMEX card, I just spoke with the customer service team:

The benefits which require the purchase to be on the Platinum card (cancellation, Postponement, refund, belongings) – these only apply if you use the Platinum Card.

So (as in my case) I was looking to book flights on my BA AMEX card: I’ll get extra Avios by doing so, but won’t get the insurance protection. The BA card has belongings covered, and delays, but doesn’t have cancellation or postponement or cutting the trip back early).

A real pain, as the points are better on the BA card, but the insurance is better on the Platinum Card. Dilemma!

I’m in a position where I did redeem my 241 voucher using the BAPP to pay for the cash element and I’m now doing my homework about what I’m covered for on my upcoming trip. To further complicate things the BAPP was downgraded just after the redemption.

The above information does not seem to align with the underlying T&Cs based on my interpretation. This is pretty frustrating as having a blanket travel insurance benefit is supposed to be a convenience and not a source of stress and anxiety.

DJ 95 posts

I’m in a position where I did redeem my 241 voucher using the BAPP to pay for the cash element and I’m now doing my homework about what I’m covered for on my upcoming trip. To further complicate things the BAPP was downgraded just after the redemption.

The above information does not seem to align with the underlying T&Cs based on my interpretation. This is pretty frustrating as having a blanket travel insurance benefit is supposed to be a convenience and not a source of stress and anxiety.

The terms and conditions are pretty clear:

“Account” or “Card Account” means Your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express
    in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners. “American Express” means American Express Services Europe Limited.

“Card” means any Card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account.

“Cardmember” means any individual who holds a valid Account.

Therefore any non-corporate Amex that is in your name should be covered.

brian 85 posts

The terms and conditions are pretty clear:

“Account” or “Card Account” means Your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express
    in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners. “American Express” means American Express Services Europe Limited.

“Card” means any Card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account.

“Cardmember” means any individual who holds a valid Account.

Therefore any non-corporate Amex that is in your name should be covered.

Indeed but all the more frustrating when you hear of many tales from those who contact Customer Services in search of clarification and get told otherwise as happened with OneFineDay above.

RichFamilyFlyer 29 posts

Good Morning All,

I wondered if you could help advise as I have just got back into Manchester from a flight abroad with Qatar Airways. On checking my checked baggage my iPad screen is cracked, and I wasn’t sure if my BAPP or platinum card would be best placed to claim on the insurance?

Thanks

Stephen 48 posts

Hi,

Does American Express Platinum insurance cover for missed connections? Looking at the T&C it seems to be limited to £350?

I’m flying CMB to BLR using AVIOS (Sri Lankan Airlines) that arrives in at 02:20.

Virgin Atlantic (also booked with points) departs at 04:35 (2 hour 15 minute connection). Unfortunately, only one flight per day so it’s my only option other than staying 24 hours.

Thanks

Jackp27 1 post

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Amex Platinum with regards to undiagnosed medical conditions/symptoms that are awaiting further tests. In this instance the persons symptoms are mild and they feel fit to fly but are awaiting a test for an undiagnosed symptom upon return from the trip. I was just wondering how this would work with the medical insurance benefit? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JDB 4,386 posts

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Amex Platinum with regards to undiagnosed medical conditions/symptoms that are awaiting further tests. In this instance the persons symptoms are mild and they feel fit to fly but are awaiting a test for an undiagnosed symptom upon return from the trip. I was just wondering how this would work with the medical insurance benefit? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you look at the policy document, the answer to this question is covered under the definitions section – pre-existing conditions.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.