Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge, anybody been?

• bungalow 179 posts

I know Rob recently did a review of Qatars Al Mourjan Business lounge in Doha, but has anyone been to the Al Safwa First Class Lounge?

I ask as I just booked me and the missus a couple of First tickets Doha to Muscat, for the ridiculous price of 21,000 avios and £88pp!
    That’s just 14,000 avios and £29 more than flying economy! The anomaly is that the First cabin is actually the business cabin on their 787-8, but as they call it First on this flight, you get access to the Al Safwa First Lounge! The extra outlay was a no brainer given the flight doesn’t depart til after midnight and it would probably have cost us more to go out in Doha and buy a proper meal.

Anyway, I’ve never been, and would very much appreciate any advice anyone could give on how to make the most of the experience.

Many thanks in advance

Harry T 96 posts

Are you sure you get access when flying an Avios ticket? I’m fairly sure that it’s for revenue tickets only.

bungalow 179 posts

Doesn’t say in the email Harry, but did under “Fare Details” on the Qatar website when I booked.
    Just double checked – “Lounge access In Doha & select airports”
    Think I’ll take a screenshot!
    You frightened me there… 🙂

JDB 4,379 posts

Doesn’t say in the email Harry, but did under “Fare Details” on the Qatar website when I booked.

I presume you are taking a screenshot of more than what you have quoted above as it doesn’t specify to which lounge you have access. As we know with QR, not all business class tickets are created equal for lounge access and may also depend on cash vs redemption, so the same may apply to F and regional F vs long haul.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    bungalow 179 posts

I presume you are taking a screenshot of more than what you have quoted above as it doesn’t specify to which lounge you have access. As we know with QR, not all business class tickets are created equal and may also depend on cash vs redemption, so the same may apply to F and regional F vs long haul.

Yeah I’m aware of that. The research I’ve done tells me that regional First does indeed give access to the First Lounge, although I can’t find any specific reference to an Avios ticket. However if we are directed to the Business Lounge instead it’s still a decent return for the outlay.
    I’ll maybe drop them an email for clarification though…

bungalow 179 posts

I just added all my flights to the Qatar app, and the Al Safwa First Class Lounge is showing as having access in my DOH-MCT trip

Mart 38 posts

I have visited on a aa miles first redemption.
    It’s massive we had 2 staff seeing to our drinks and food needs I think they were happy to be doing something because it was almost empty.
    Had a few glasses of 2008 la grand dame and a steak.Very nice.
    I Wouldn’t let no access to the lounge be a deal breaker because I actually prefer the buisness lounge, a bit souless maybe the reason.

Andrew J 769 posts

Back when you used to get access to Al Safwa on cheap flights to DXB from DOH I used it a few times on the way out – amazing lounge, go straight to the “quiet area” where you can book a bedroom with an suite and sleep for 6 hours. The restaurant does excellent food and the champagne is VC Grande Dame. Only downside is that it’s pin droppingly silent with a cavernous feel of a museum grand gallery – but if you like large open spaces to yourself it’s a nice experience. I did pay to use it on the way back from Sydney with a long layover at night and was cheaper than the airside hotel which of course didn’t include food and champagne. And if you’re lucky, your flight will be a bus gate and you’ll be taken directly from the lounge to the aircraft, Air France La Premier style (although in a bus not a Porsche).

Go197 78 posts

I did the same Avios F Doha to Muscat.

I had to take a bus to the aircraft. Being first class, the bus had 7 leather armchairs.

bungalow 179 posts

Thanks to everyone for the replies, really looking forward to this now. Now all I need is someone to recommend a Bonvoy (platinum) or Hilton (diamond) for a few weeks. Currently holding Hilton Garden Inn, and W Muscat (looks like to JW had a bit of trouble in a storm) 🙂

John 1,000 posts

When I went to Al Safwa I accidentally sat down at a staff desk and started using the computer. I wanted to print something and almost managed to print from the staff printer (I didn’t see any staff for at least 5 minutes before and after this incident).

I then walked around the entire lounge and there were some corners where there was fresh food out in a buffet, the staff said most of it would get dumped as they often didn’t see a single person during their shift in that area.

The service was more personal but the food was pretty much the same as Al Mourjan; though I’ve heard that Al Mourjan has declined further since my last visit in 2019.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.