Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Qatar Airways – any tips or cautions?

• Cranzle 272 posts

I’m planning on booking flights directly with Qatar.
    Does anyone have any tips (discount codes, upgrade opportunities) etc or cautions?
    They seem to have a generous cancellation policy, who knows what it’s like in practice?

Is it easy/competitive to try and upgrade at check-in desk (or during online check in)?

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

Their cancellation policy in early 2020 wasn’t amazing, but then neither was Lufthansa etc.

Most of their aircraft only have economy and business so there isn’t a huge amount to upgrade to/from – it’s not like you can book premium economy and hope for a cheap upgrade at check-in!

Jacob 223 posts

Not sure what the latest practice is around upgrades, but before covid they were proactively emailing economy passengers with upgrade offers – first come first served basis. Some data points from early 2019:
    DOH-LHR from economy to business £641
    DOH-ZNZ from economy to business £222

Lady London 2,051 posts

Expect your aircraft type to change esp if you book far ahead.

Be ready for your nice shortish connection that you booked in Doha (say 1-3 hours) getting onto your next plane there at a late but just about acceptable hour, to turn into a long connection (7-9 hrs if you’re lucky) through the night, after your decent connection time disappears in a puff of Qatar rescheduling.

Happens too often.

PS As @Polly said, QR J is pretty much on a par with BA F, just be realistic expect the above tradeoff

Cranzle 272 posts

Thanks for the replies.

What lounges in Doha can I access if BA silver, and is it worth paying for access to a better lounge?
    Can I pay at the door as I would probably only want a better lounge if there is a flight delay.

SteveCroydon 66 posts

Don’t trust any of their website special codes. They don’t seem to work or get withdrawn without notice.
    See other threads on HfP about code FLYQR3 and discount code MEM22.

pbcold 348 posts

QR is fabulous in the air but a disaster if anything goes wrong. I think the risk is worth it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.