Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• ml256 13 posts

A question to the hivemind/those with more knowledge. Trying to decide between QRPC and BAEC to credit as main FFP.

Currently moving from UK to Aus (Melbourne) in the next few months for at least a year, if not substantially longer. Have P2 and (<2 y/o) P3. Will need at least two return flights/year back to UK for family/occasional work.

I’ve booked J return flights out via QR, and originally planned to credit these to BAEC, but noticed that whilst the tier points were substantial, I probably won’t hit the 4 BA flights required to be able to get status with BA. Also, crediting to QR will give an extra 10k Avios PP. QR also has the benefits of flying direct to MEL without having to change in SYD.

Am I wrong in thinking that there’s no point in going with BA for this?

ChrisC 956 posts

The requirement isn’t 4 BA flights but 4 BA coded flights. IB coded flights also count.

So you would earn those 4 flights needed for BA status (and perhaps look at it as One World status rather than BA specific) by booking QR operated flights via the BA website.

Of course that’s only one aspect of your consideration on which FFP to join but I thought it would be helpful to clarify the flights requirements.

Another aspect is that BA have a HHA which I think you can sign your youngster into and earn some avios. Not sure if QR have a similar scheme though.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ml256 13 posts

The requirement isn’t 4 BA flights but 4 BA coded flights. IB coded flights also count.

So you would earn those 4 flights needed for BA status (and perhaps look at it as One World status rather than BA specific) by booking QR operated flights via the BA website.

I hadn’t realised that, thanks for clarifying!

Charles Martel 124 posts

Given the ease of earning Qantas points in Aus (120,000 sign up bonus on the Amex ultimate card) wouldn’t it be worth considering QFF? You’ll also be able to credit Jetstar flights if you ever slum it on internal flights.

AJA 1,071 posts

Re the BAEC qualifying flights it is any one of the following:

BA operated + BA flight prefix or
    BA operated + other flight prefix or
    Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix or
    IB operated + IB flight prefix

So Qantas flights on a BA flight no would count towards BAEC status

IB is their own metal and their own flight prefix but an IB flight number operated by BA would also qualify, likewise an IB flight with a BA flight number would also qualify.

QFFlyer 156 posts

Given the ease of earning Qantas points in Aus (120,000 sign up bonus on the Amex ultimate card) wouldn’t it be worth considering QFF? You’ll also be able to credit Jetstar flights if you ever slum it on internal flights.

Yes and no – it’ll def be worth OP getting familiarised with QFF, earning QF points is much easier than Avios here, and there is the JQ thing (but bear in mind you need to purchase an extra package to earn points/SC on JQ flights, so there’s calcs to be done to work out whether that’s worth it). Having status with QF means lounge access on JQ flights too, which is a plus (this is a QF only benefit, OWS/OWE status from another carrier won’t get you in).

In terms of crediting the BA flights to QFF, bear in mind you would be “punished” for this, as QF award half the amount of SCs on routes marketed by competing carriers on routes they operate – discount J LHR-SYD (for simplicity) earns 280 SCs on a QF coded flight, vs 140 SCs on a BA code, so this is an important factor if acquiring/maintaining status is a goal.

If not after status, then credit wherever earns the most, I value Avios over QF points, simply because the redemption rate on QF flights is cheaper and they’re harder to earn here, so if I had the oppo to earn a stack from flying, and didn’t need the status credits, I’d credit to BA/IB/QR (whichever earned the most).

Charles Martel 124 posts

In terms of crediting the BA flights to QFF, bear in mind you would be “punished” for this, as QF award half the amount of SCs on routes marketed by competing carriers on routes they operate – discount J LHR-SYD (for simplicity) earns 280 SCs on a QF coded flight, vs 140 SCs on a BA code, so this is an important factor if acquiring/maintaining status is a goal.

If not after status, then credit wherever earns the most, I value Avios over QF points, simply because the redemption rate on QF flights is cheaper and they’re harder to earn here, so if I had the oppo to earn a stack from flying, and didn’t need the status credits, I’d credit to BA/IB/QR (whichever earned the most).

[/quote]

Good point on status credits/tier points, but it depends whether you see the differential between own metal status credits and other OW as a bonus or penalty, and this will depend on whether you’re likely to be mainly flying on QF in Aus/Asia Pacific or just taking the best product home to Europe. If you took two discount economy flights from SYD to SIN, one on QF and one on BA, you’d have the same percentage points required for OW Sapphire in both schemes; and a higher percentage of a status renewal on QFF.

Personally, if I were focussing on the best points irrespective of how hard they are to earn I’d focus on American Airlines Aadvantage as you don’t have to worry about redemption fees.

ml256 13 posts

Thanks all for your insights!

I looked into whether we could meet the (broader than expected) BA eligible flights criteria, and to be honest, it’s probably not feasible with a new small baby. It doesn’t help that our closest airports are STN and LTN, so the prospect of a 3+ hour journey to LHR or GTW doesn’t appeal much.

If we assume status is therefore unobtainable with BA this year then I should stick with QR for maximum Avios. Also since we can transfer those back to BA to be able to pool in the household account to use our vouchers.

AA looked good from a redemptions price point of view, but doesn’t seem to have a household account, and aside from flying I’m not sure I’d be able to earn enough.

QFFlyer – I remember reading your comments on QF from an earlier thread, and I thought that I’d wait until I got settled a bit before deciding on QF. As you said, if getting QF points is relatively easy in Aus, then I should maximise Avios for now.

Charles Martel 124 posts

Thanks all for your insights!

I looked into whether we could meet the (broader than expected) BA eligible flights criteria, and to be honest, it’s probably not feasible with a new small baby. It doesn’t help that our closest airports are STN and LTN, so the prospect of a 3+ hour journey to LHR or GTW doesn’t appeal much.

If we assume status is therefore unobtainable with BA this year then I should stick with QR for maximum Avios. Also since we can transfer those back to BA to be able to pool in the household account to use our vouchers.

AA looked good from a redemptions price point of view, but doesn’t seem to have a household account, and aside from flying I’m not sure I’d be able to earn enough.

QFFlyer – I remember reading your comments on QF from an earlier thread, and I thought that I’d wait until I got settled a bit before deciding on QF. As you said, if getting QF points is relatively easy in Aus, then I should maximise Avios for now.

If you were tempted by AA it might be worth checking the earning options thread: https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/american-airlines-miles/ and there is always the option of earning Amex MR -> Marriott Bonvoy points -> Airline (inc Aadvantage) points.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.