Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping Quotation not working right

• Carlos 758 posts

Whenever I have used the quotation feature in forums, the quote is usually in a different colour and also in quotation marks (with the user who you quoted)

It is not showing in this forum, can this be fixed please?

Is there a reason why this forum is different from others, surely wordpress offer a plugin and its as easy as that (free too)
    I feel this is giving a bad impression to the site, is this being developed from scratch or is it a plugin? Surely it doesnt cost £2000 to create a forum?

RCHammer 64 posts

I agree. This is standard on other forums I use. It is currently difficult to distinguish the reply text in a post from the text that is being quoted. This makes for a clunky read.

SteveJ 978 posts

It works on desktop and I can’t say for Apple, but the hfp team REALLY need to get hold of an Android device to see how poor the implementation is for Android users.

AJA 1,070 posts

I don’t know about quotation not working right, for me the function isn’t working at all! (On Samsung Galaxy S20 Android at least).

I can press the button all I like but absolutely nothing happens. I find it quicker to copy the text I want to quote and at least that gives me the opportunity to italicise it so it appears differently.

TGLoyalty 530 posts

Is there a way to implement quoting just the new reply without the original quotes the comment has?

It’s making some posts huge unnecessarily

AJA 1,070 posts

I don’t know about quotation not working right, for me the function isn’t working at all! (On Samsung Galaxy S20 Android at least).

I can press the button all I like but absolutely nothing happens.

update: quote function is working after I managed to refresh the website data.

cinereus 161 posts

Is there a way to implement quoting just the new reply without the original quotes the comment has?

It’s making some posts huge unnecessarily

Just by manual editing but because this software weirdly mixed BBcode and HTML, it’s rather counter-intuitive compared to other forums.

cinereus 161 posts

Whenever I have used the quotation feature in forums, the quote is usually in a different colour and also in quotation marks (with the user who you quoted)

It is not showing in this forum, can this be fixed please?

Is there a reason why this forum is different from others, surely wordpress offer a plugin and its as easy as that (free too)
    I feel this is giving a bad impression to the site, is this being developed from scratch or is it a plugin? Surely it doesnt cost £2000 to create a forum?

It’s because of the very strange decision to eschew tried-and-tested industry-standard forum software for a poorly-developed WordPress plugin.

cinereus 161 posts

It works on desktop and I can’t say for Apple, but the hfp team REALLY need to get hold of an Android device to see how poor the implementation is for Android users.

They don’t need an active device. They can easily test in the normal way every web designer does using dev mode emulation.

SteveJ 978 posts

@Rhys any updates on this, as @cinereus mentions you should be able to test the user experience for Android Mobile users. The display of quoted text is indistinguishable.

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts

It shouldn’t be any different to desktop or iPhone, and when I use dev mode it appears to be fine. Would need a screenshot really.

SteveJ 978 posts

Calling other Android Mobile users:

Are you able to see quotes separate and distinct from the reply? I’ve done the cache clear/refresh and no joy. Shared some screenshots with Rhys too and we’re at a loss as to why this may be.

Is it just me, or others still facing this issue?

dst87 264 posts

I don’t have an Android device, but I was able to connect to a real device using BrowserStack and test there… quotes work as expected and I don’t see any issue. That was a Galaxy S21 running Chrome.

SteveJ 978 posts

It’s now working on my device. BTW I’ve done nothing to make this work. I had cleared the cache previously with no joy, so either a) something got tweaked yesterday or b) seems like clearing the cache does nothing and you just have to wait it out!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.