Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Rechecking bags at MIA without other passenger

• masaccio 721 posts

Depending upon how busy MIA immigration is on our way home from Belize, I am considering using my Global Entry to recheck both our bags and just leave OH to make her way to the lounge. Am I going to come a cropper dropping the bags? I’m assuming of course that we will have our mobile boarding passes for the BA flight home.

For clarity – we have separate tickets (and airlines) for BZE-MIA and MIA-LHR. And I am anticipating from reading FT that AA won’t interline the bags through to LHR even for elites.

NorthernLass 7,547 posts

Can’t see any issues with this – we often have 1 person checking 2 bags in if we’re travelling in different cabins, for example, with the other/s only checking 1 or none. I assume on AA you have the same free allowance as you would on BA for long haul routes.

ChrisC 956 posts

Correct AA won’t interline on separate tickets.

Without your OH being present at the desk both bags would have to be checked under your name – assuming that’s within your allowance otherwise you’d be charged for the extra bag.

masaccio 721 posts

We are flying CW and I am Gold. I have more allowance than I ever know what to do with!

Matt 322 posts

That will be fine then.

NorthernLass 7,547 posts

On our GCM-LHR flight the other week I was in CW and OH and son in PE. Both our cases were slightly over 23kg so I checked them both in under my name as per CW allowance. As has happened before the desk agent pulled a face and commented that the bags were overweight but couldn’t do anything else as I stood my ground about my CW allowance! They do seem to have an issue with baggage, even when you’re within the rules.

We were in a loop of “ma’am, these are overweight”, “no they’re not, I can have 2 x 32kg” for a while. Then the agent said, “well it’s ok I’m not going to charge you”, slapped on the “heavy bag” stickers and we were away!

*This was BA of course, I’ve only heard of AA being awkward on US domestic flights where pax have had to argue their status to get their free bag quotas.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.