Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Referrals

• The Streets 40 posts

Has anyone first hand experience that sign up bonuses are not being honoured in the normal way if you are being referred? A comment picked up on the thread yesterday found the terms and conditions are now different when applying. It seems to suggest the person you are referring will only get a bonus if they’ve never had or not had an Amex in the past 24 months

aq.1988 454 posts

I suspect that it’s a bad copy/paste job from the Gold card terms (assuming you are looking at the Platinum referral terms).

I have referred someone for the Platinum a couple days ago, and they already had the BAPP. They haven’t hit the spend yet, but I received the referral bonus for it.

Of course, if the points don’t post, you probably can’t argue it as its in the terms, but I think someone else also mentioned that later in the terms, it mentions you only can’t have had a membership rewards earning card in the last 24 months. YMMV.

Reney 769 posts

I applied for a nectar card (defo don’t qualify for bonus as I have the plat card) earlier this month using someone else referral link. They have received the referral points.

The Streets 40 posts

Yes it’s not about the person referring receiving the points it’s about the person applying receiving the sign up bonus points after being referred

aq.1988 454 posts

Yes it’s not about the person referring receiving the points it’s about the person applying receiving the sign up bonus points after being referred

I gather that’s what you’re after, but I guess there’s probably not that many data points as most people probably haven’t spent the £10k yet.

I still think its a bad copy/paste job from the Gold terms. Would seem very strange to prevent someone using a referral from getting the SUB on Plat. Just last week, I got an email from Amex with a 10% dining offer, but it was copied from an old offer, as it said it expires on 19th Nov 2023!

If you don’t want to risk it, can always apply without a referral.

Also, the reason why I mentioned getting the referral points was because someone else was told that if the person receiving the referral doesn’t qualify for a SUB, then you don’t get the referral points, but that’s obviously not the with the above example.

Mic 2 posts

Sorry, this has probably also been covered many times but does this mean that as an everyday cashback card holder I wouldn’t get a referral bonus having been referred for a gold card by a friend?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,203 posts

You wouldn’t have got a bonus on this regardless – you should have applied for Platinum or BAPP instead. See https://www.headforpoints.com/2024/01/01/what-amex-sign-up-bonuses-are-you-still-eligible-for-3/

Mic 2 posts

Ah ok! Thanks

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.