Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice RFS options for my 20-something kids

• marshy11 247 posts

The ‘kids’ want to go to Europe. We are happy to give them a freebie on a RFS in club.

Where should they go?

They are in their 20’s and love food, history and culture.

Looking to go May/June for 2-4 nights, they live near Heathrow.

TIA.

Lady London 2,020 posts

Florence. But don’t expect to get them back again – they’ll want to stay there. Rome smaller with less art (but that’s only relative)

marshy11 247 posts

LL my shortlist is Florence, Rome, Milan and Barcelona. They are less than half my 56 years. I am glad to be on the right direction. OH’s late mother is from Malta. Thinking that may also fit the bill.

Struggling to find RFS tonight – perhaps an IT issue.

ExpatInBerlin 184 posts

Bologna is beautiful, small enough to feel like you’ve covered everything in 2/3 days and the food is to die for. It’s also a university city so there is good nightlife to be had. I went in my early twenties and really enjoyed it!

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

When you say May/June, do you mean half term week? You might need to look what’s actually available if so. You won’t find much to Rome, Florence or other popular cities that week. Also, there are 3 bank holiday weekends in May this year so June might have better availability.
    Barcelona is incredibly trendy and would tick a lot of boxes, culture, food, beach etc.

marshy11 247 posts

Ideally they want to go early June – he starts a new position potentially on 10 June so would need to be back by then.

Yes, I am struggling with availability even early June – I thought it may be IT issues last night as there were a few error messages too but this morning the availability isn’t great.

marshy11 247 posts

I am also finding there are very few destinations at the standard CE RFS £50 plus 17k option. I know RFS extended to the rest of the world recently, but didn’t realise Europe pricing changed too……or am I doing something wrong.

jumpersforgoalposts 48 posts

Malta would be an excellent choice. Outstanding food, fascinating history and wonderful culture.

Tracey 210 posts

Seville is beautiful.

Michael C 666 posts

Bologna is beautiful, small enough to feel like you’ve covered everything in 2/3 days and the food is to die for. It’s also a university city so there is good nightlife to be had. I went in my early twenties and really enjoyed it!

Another vote for Bologna – also tends to have decent availability.
    Buzzy univ. atmosphere, gorgeous city, fab food and a great base: 35 mins on the train to Florence (buy in advance) and around an hour to Venice.

Michael C 666 posts

PS “for my 20-something kids” might suggest you have a very large family who will quickly use up all your points!!

dbbs 23 posts

Florence. But don’t expect to get them back again – they’ll want to stay there. Rome smaller with less art (but that’s only relative)

Absolutely. Florence top choice…

tiriavpo 312 posts

I am also finding there are very few destinations at the standard CE RFS £50 plus 17k option. I know RFS extended to the rest of the world recently, but didn’t realise Europe pricing changed too……or am I doing something wrong.

What results are you seeing – xxxxAvios + £2? Does it say ‘more pricing options’ below the initial quotes? What happens if you click that?

Vienna looks to be available.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Spring half term this year is May 27th to June 4th so availability is going to be limited so close to the time.

Click on “more pricing options” or through to the payment page – the old-style standard avios pricing doesn’t exist any more so you’ll need to select the combination which suits you best.

kevinchoi 96 posts

As a “20-something kid” myself who also likes food and culture, I agree with some of the suggestions above like Vienna and Rome. Some alternative destinations which I’d go again and recommend would be Copenhagen, Budapest, Dubrovnik and Krakow

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Paris tends to have some of the best availability at peak times due to there being several flights per day and of course it scores highly on food, culture, etc.

marshy11 247 posts

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The more pricing options seem to be giving me an average of 58500 avios and £100 for them both to go, which is more than I did recently for them to Prague – £100 plus 34000 avios.

Although I just checked Prague again and it’s around about that, just the others seem pricier in terms of avios.

I hadn’t realised half term was that bit later this year so would account for availability but I am seeing some and it still seems off peak but at the 58500-72200 avios bracket.

They initially said Paris Northernlass but I am not sure how the current troubles are going to pan out.

And yes, to confirm it is my son and his girlfriend, not 20 something kids!

Anna 458 posts

Don’t forget Prague, Paris etc are in a cheaper zone than Barcelona, Vienna etc so the avios required will vary accordingly.

marshy11 247 posts

Don’t forget Prague, Paris etc are in a cheaper zone than Barcelona, Vienna etc so the avios required will vary accordingly.

Thanks Anna, I’m just playing now to see what is where – is there a definitive list of what is in the cheaper zones?

AJA 1,060 posts

I’d suggest Venice, Verona, Bologna, Naples, Rome or Florence/Pisa in Italy. Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia or San Sebastian or Malaga in Spain. Paris, Marseilles, Lyon or Nice in France, Lisbon or Porto in Portugal

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

@marshy11 – they seem to have done away with all the zone lists now but if you were to put a set of compasses on London and stretch it out to around Marseille, the area you can circle is pretty much Zone 1 😂 I think it’s up to 650 miles though who on earth would know that without looking it up?!

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Off the top of my head, good destinations in Zone 1 were – Paris, Prague, Salzburg (but not Vienna), Marseille, Nice, Bordeaux, Lyon, Milan, Munich, Berlin, some Scandinavian cities, all UK ones, Dublin, Luxembourg, Brussels, Amsterdam and so on!

marshy11 247 posts

Off the top of my head, good destinations in Zone 1 were – Paris, Prague, Salzburg (but not Vienna), Marseille, Nice, Bordeaux, Lyon, Milan, Munich, Berlin, some Scandinavian cities, all UK ones, Dublin, Luxembourg, Brussels, Amsterdam and so on!

Thank you.

From my meddling today avios prices for 2 pax in CE on RFS:

Montpellier, Prague – 34000

Paris, Milan (all), Stockholm – 36500

Rome, Florence – 54000

Bologna, Vienna, Barcelona, Dubrovnik, Split, Sardinia – 58500

Krakow – 63000

Malta – 72200

I shall let them decide. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Richie 978 posts

For a 4 night trip, an open jaw with Dubrovnik and Split is great with fast ferries including a stop at Hvar.

Erico1875 145 posts

I’d suggest Venice, Verona, Bologna, Naples, Rome or Florence/Pisa in Italy. Seville, Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia or San Sebastian or Malaga in Spain. Paris, Marseilles, Lyon or Nice in France, Lisbon or Porto in Portugal

Can you even get to San Sebastian with BA?
    Closest airport I can see is either Biaritz or Bilbao. Both of them are a trek there after. Pity as it’s on my bucket list

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.