Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Accor Live Limitless Rixos – any experience?

• can 506 posts

I’ve started thinking about the next summer and Rixos resorts look appealing.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Does Accor Gold have any real benefits at a Rixos all inclusive? Do you get good enough points to offset the ibis business card?

Guernsey Globetrotter 587 posts

I’ve not stayed at a Rixos but I do have a decent handle on the Accor loyalty scheme. Rixos is a participating brand. The base earning rate is 25 rewards points for every €10 spend https://all.accor.com/loyalty-program/earn/stay/index.en.shtml

As Accor points have a fixed value of €40 per 2,000 they are always worth €.02 (2 cents) each. This means the 25 points represents €0.50 (50 cents) per €10, a 5% discount off a future stay.

If you are a gold member (which you are automatically with the IBIS business card) then the base earning rate increases to 37 points per €10, or 7.4% discount.

Once you know the rate you are going to spend on your Rixos stay it becomes fairly simple maths to calculate whether buying the IBIS card for your stay is worth it or not. The current subscription rate is £65 for one year (or £119 for two – but I think it’s best to buy in one year periods, every other year, for the timing reason I mention below). I make it £24 in additional points per £1,000 spend, so to break-even on that one stay your Rixos spend would need to be at least £2,708.

As an Accor gold member, you also gain a possible upgrade for your stay, a welcome amenity (usually a voucher for a couple of drinks) and a potential early or late check-in/out time – https://all.accor.com/loyalty-program/cards-status-benefits-details/index.en.shtml

Finally, if you wait to get your IBIS card until January 23 then you should be able to keep the Accor Gold status running ’til the end of 2024, a near 24 month period for your £65 fee. You just need the status to apply to your account during your stay, not at the time of booking, to be eligible for the benefits and increased points earn, so no need to buy the business card membership early.

PS If you’re paying cash direct to Accor then the BA Portal usually earns some Avios on your stay too (currently 8 Avios per £1 spend at ‘upscale hotels’ like Rixos, which is pretty generous for a couple of extra clicks).

PPS Also, don’t forget to register with Air France as well via Accor as this is a true ‘double-dip’ miles earning opportunity. You earn a mile per Euro spend and these can also be converted back to Accor points (albeit at a cr@ppy rate of 4:1), so this represents at least another 2.5 points per €10. It’s only an additional 0.5% discount but every little helps! Having an Air France account is also a way to convert Amex MRs to Accor points if you really need to (although I think this would only ever represent good value if used on an Accor ‘experience’ event, rather than a hotel booking).

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    can 506 posts

Many thanks!
    I assume I can only collect ALL points if I book through Accor.
    Because I was going to check if I can book Rixos thru Amex Plat

Yes, if you book via Amex you likely won’t earn points (you can try asking the hotel to add your Accor member number to the booking but it may not work?).

Of course booking via Amex you’ll likely get most if not all of the benefits you’d expect via Gold status plus a hotel credit too, so you need to weigh up what you think will benefit you the most.

If you’re looking at alternative ways of booking the Rixos stay then lots on here would also recommend trying Emyr Thomas, HfP’s own luxury travel partner (https://www.headforpoints.com/virtuoso-agent-london/)

Enjoy ! 😎

can 506 posts

Much appreciated!

Ranga 8 posts

Hi, I am also looking at Rixos resorts. Did you book this? Any experience with accor plus membership? Does the platinum card get us anything directly or via status match?

Thanks!
    Ranga

Can’t speak for @can re the booking but can (see what I did there) say that you get nowt from Accor via holding the Amex Plat. Accor status can only be used via spend with them or the Ibis business card mentioned above. I don’t have direct experience of Accor Plus membership but at USD225 or 295 pa for the two levels – Traveller or Explorer (which only give you silver level although the Explorer also gives a free night) it seems relatively unattractive (it is double the price of the IHG Ambassador programme for instance). It also only applies to Accor locations in the Asia Pacific region so doesn’t cover any of the US/Europe/Dubai etc. : https://www.accorplus.com/en/registration

can 506 posts

Hi, I am also looking at Rixos resorts. Did you book this? Any experience with accor plus membership? Does the platinum card get us anything directly or via status match?

Thanks!
    Ranga

Nope I didn’t book it (yet).
    I am trying to figure out if it is posh or classy. TripAdv reviews seem to suggest the former.
    Plus the lack of real status and benefits, whilst being part of Accor, puts me off.

And well done @GuernseyGlobetrotter 😁

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

I did similar maths when we went to Fairmont Barbados – see my article here https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/11/05/why-i-bought-an-ibis-business-card/

In my case I made 2.5x my money.

can 506 posts

I did similar maths when we went to Fairmont Barbados – see my article here https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/11/05/why-i-bought-an-ibis-business-card/

In my case I made 2.5x my money.

Sure. As you mentioned the breakeven point would be around €3k. I am planning to spend no more than €2k there.

blenz101 24 posts

Make sure you check the hotel actually does participate in ALL. Rixos Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE doesn’t allow earn or burn and status isn’t recognised at all during the booking process or at the resort.

Ranga 8 posts

Just some feedback, joined accor gold via shareholder scheme, just had an absolutely fantastic stay at rixos premium belek, both rooms upgraded + late checkout (did request it, off season so i think resort was fairly flexible).

Just waiting for my points to be posted now!

Just some feedback, joined accor gold via shareholder scheme, just had an absolutely fantastic stay at rixos premium belek, both rooms upgraded + late checkout (did request it, off season so i think resort was fairly flexible).

Just waiting for my points to be posted now!

Hi @Ranga – thanks for the update and glad to hear your success story!

How easy was the shareholder scheme sign-up? I am aware of it but have avoided recommending to others on here as I have no idea whether it is practical: how long the status lasts (one year I thought, with no way to extend, unless you hit the necessary points target in the year), how long the application process takes etc. At Euro24 a share at the moment it is cheaper than the IBIS business card route costing GBP65, albeit with the IBIS you can get basically 24 months of Gold, so I may consider doing it this month as I need to renew…

Cheers and happy New Year 🙂

Ranga 8 posts

I bought 50 shares as it was held by my online platform (1 share directly held, or 50 through intermediary to be eligible). Gold is valid for 1 year through this route, then you need to earn the points to maintain. Status took about a month to come through and needed me to send a few email follow-ups.

I honestly didn’t want to juggle another credit card and thought there was a chance i could turn a profit with the shares (sadly mistaken!!), but the upgrades were still worth it!

Thanks for the details @Ranga – very helpful. I dropped back to Silver on Jan 1 and have a stay at the Sofitel LGW a week on Saturday so sounds like I need to renew my Ibis card to be sure to have the status in time. FYI it’s not a credit card that needs managing but a discount card – I honestly can’t even remember if I received a physical card and if I did it would just go in the drawer as I only use the Accor status element. Good luck with the shares – I think in this market there’s not many that are ahead at the moment!

AlanMac 6 posts

Hello All, I’m pretty new to all this but think Head for points is pointing in the right direction each time with help from you the forum guys. I’ve looked through the forums and read today’s Accor story and can’t really find the answers I’m after, sorry. Not even sure I’m in the correct thread ha ha.
    I’m booked an Easyjet holiday to Rixos SEAGATE in Sharm for Feb half term. I paid £2600 for me and the Mrs. I have joined the Accor scheme starting at Classic level. I can’t find out how I put this holiday on my Accor account as it’s Easyjet, can I do that? If I can at say reception when I check in will I get anything straight away? Room upgrade etc or isn’t this stay worth enough to just go up one level. I’m assuming about £800 is flights so about £1800 for the room. How many points is that? My real aim is trying to get a late check out as I have a night flight out. Is there anything I can do prior to help me do this? Thanks in advance

Olly 242 posts

Sorry to disappoint you Alan but unless you book direct via the hotel booking platform, ie. ALL or the hotel website then you won’t be receiving any points for the stay. If you already have status, then it’s possible that the hotel will recognise this at check-in but not guaranteed.

Unless you’re in a position to cancel the easyJet booking and rebook direct then you’re unlikely to benefit

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.