Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Other frequent flyer schemes Round the World using miles …. the cheaper the better

• bartas8891 37 posts

In 2015 and 2017, I was lucky enough to fly around the World. I was able to fly my first RTW for 112k + £173 and the second one for 116k + £285 +$30. The aim was to use as few miles and $ as possible.

Please see the links for more info.
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2015/12/13/fly-around-the-world-using-airmiles-frequent-flyer-miles

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/04/14/how-brad-is-flying-around-the-world-for-113500-airline-miles-285-30/

I feel like it is now time to fly again with the same aim. Therefore I would appreciate it if any of you could share some hidden gems (sweet spot redemptions/boomerangs).

duggie1982 261 posts

Dont have any tips but this is amazing, might look further into it for next year so good luck and i will be watching!

Not in a creepy way of course ha

meta 1,426 posts

You can do RTW with ANA (and Star) in business for incredible 115k per person. Only trip of up to 20k miles, but you can get 25k for 145k miles which I find still very reasonable.

The only way to get ANA miles in the UK is via Marriott transfers or credit SA flights to Mileage Club.

If you’re travelling with someone you can save a lot on taxes with 2 x new style 241 vouchers starting outside UK. Even with one voucher you can do a lot of damage.

bartas8891 37 posts

115k in C for RTW represents an excellent value given the number of stopovers permitted. The only downside is that backtracking is not allowed. Let’s say you managed to snatch a ticket to PPT via Asia and New Zealand, and then you are stuck to only one route available across the Pacific Ocean with *A (PPT-SFO). Imagine you would like to return to New Zealand and then fly from Aukland to Santiago (SCL); this would not be allowed. The point is that you are most likely limited to large cities and relatively simple RTWs. It would be challenging to squeeze in exotic islands such as Fiji, Tahiti, etc.
    Personally, I prefer one-way booking tickets as it gives me greater flexibility using miles from all alliances, not just star alliance allowing me to add some exotic places to my itinerary. If, however, the aim is to fly in business and see the major cities on the way, such as Singapore, Tokyo, and San Franciso, then ANA RTW tickets should be of interest. With that approach, there is a risk of getting some one-way tickets canceled/overbooked, so the time for some could be a limiting factor.

memesweeper 1,242 posts

The new style Amex companion voucher can be used by a solo traveller too. Notable that both of Brad’s previous itineraries didn’t use BA and didn’t use Business.

Brad, could you let us know which schemes you have, or could have, points in?

I’ve started building a stash of Asia Miles. I have my eye on their multi-carrier award chart for a RTW. It’s a long term thing for me, probably many years away. 100,000+ miles required.

meta 1,426 posts

Regarding ANA RTW.

To overcome the problem of big cities, you just book side trips. Ground legs are permitted.

FYI, backtracking rules are not strictly enforced if it is under 24hrs stopover and within same zone (Europe, Pacific, etc). For example Vienna-Zurich (less than 24hrs)-Bangkok is allowed. Similarly, you can go back to NZ or SYD to cross the Pacific if no other option. It’s not written anywhere, but agents will book it within reason for example if it is just one or two occurence within itinerary.

Lady London 2,020 posts

memesweeper are you sure about asia miles if you need to collect long term? guessing you wanted to stay OneWorld because of building other OW investments as well. I would have thought ANA a better bet due geopolitical complications in HK possibly landing you with an investment in a currency you didn’t save in, medium term

memesweeper 1,242 posts

memesweeper are you sure about asia miles if you need to collect long term? guessing you wanted to stay OneWorld because of building other OW investments as well.

I have status with BA/OW and SQ/*A. Cathay Asia Miles redemptions are often cheaper than BA Avios on OneWorld, so I figured I start building up sufficient numbers that I could book a long haul/multi carrier without getting fleeced on charges. Cathay also partner with about half a dozen *A airlines, some of them bookable with Asia Miles. Right now, if I wanted to book a flight transatlantic in business, I’d be looking at United with Singapore Kris, or failing that AA (or BA) booked with Asia Miles. Last time I checked this was less expensive than using Avios on AA or BA. I’m not even sure a companion voucher really narrows the gap enough given any sensible valuation on an Avios for me to actually want to book, unless you play games like starting from Dublin.

I would have thought ANA a better bet due geopolitical complications in HK possibly landing you with an investment in a currency you didn’t save in, medium term

I’m relaxed Cathay isn’t about to go bust and take all my miles. Having said that, I hadn’t guessed how bad things would end up for Hong Kong politically, nor the extended restrictions for COVID. But ANA were never an option? They are not a transfer partner from HSBC nor Amex ICC or UK? Unless I’ve missed something it’s hard to earn their points except going via Marriott. I started my Asia Miles pot with a dollar ICC transfer, the rate from there is favourable compared to most other transfers. Incidentally, I think the OW I’d have liked to top up was AA, I have a small pot with them, but they are also not a useful transfer partner from anyone I can earn with.

bartas8891 37 posts

The new style Amex companion voucher can be used by a solo traveller too. Notable that both of Brad’s previous itineraries didn’t use BA and didn’t use Business.

Brad, could you let us know which schemes you have, or could have, points in?

I’ve started building a stash of Asia Miles. I have my eye on their multi-carrier award chart for a RTW. It’s a long term thing for me, probably many years away. 100,000+ miles required.

I have a lot of BA and VS and less of UA, AA, DL, A3, AF. I used all Marriotts for a stay in MLE, so Asiana Miles is out of reach.

Regarding ANA RTW.

To overcome the problem of big cities, you just book side trips. Ground legs are permitted.

FYI, backtracking rules are not strictly enforced if it is under 24hrs stopover and within same zone (Europe, Pacific, etc). For example Vienna-Zurich (less than 24hrs)-Bangkok is allowed. Similarly, you can go back to NZ or SYD to cross the Pacific if no other option. It’s not written anywhere, but agents will book it within reason for example if it is just one or two occurence within itinerary.

Good to know that backtracking is possible at least to some extent. PPT-AKL-SCL has been on my list for some time.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.