Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• Gammel 14 posts

Looking at an AKL-SYD-LAX booking in November. The SYD ‘layover’ is a paltry 70 minutes. That seems undoable to me but maybe some SYD experts could chime in?

ChrisA 12 posts

I’m no expert, but when I landed there in 2017, I was on a train to the centre 25 mins after landing.

Matt 323 posts

If it’s all on one booking then it will (probably!) be fine, and even if it isn’t you’ll be sorted out by the airline.

Lyn 188 posts

Hopefully someone with more expertise can answer this. There are several experts on Australia here.

If not, there are a couple of Australian frequent flyer web-sites like Executive Traveller which may have more information.

I assume that flights from Auckland arrive in the International Terminal at SYD, which is where the flight to LAX will depart. So hopefully you will be connecting within the same terminal. (The domestic terminal is separate and takes a while to get to).

I don’t know if you have to go through Australian Immigration for a direct ibternational-to-international connection. If not, this could be one of the reasons for what seems like a short connection. Even so, I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with it before such a long flight.

Gammel 14 posts

Thanks. It seems a fraught situation with the presumed need to go through immigration being the main worry. As Matt noted I expect and hope Qantas would sort it.

The thought did occur that since we’re on a full flex booking I could change the SYD-LAX leg to a day or two later, yeah?

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

@Gammel, some years ago now but when we flew LHR-SYD-WLG on a single booking we had to go through immigration and security at SYD. It might be a different coming from NZ though, as I know the two countries have specific travel agreements with each other. And I am in no way an expert!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    u07ch 63 posts

If its a single ticket and you have your next boarding pass it should be fine (consider online check in if its available) and your flight is on time you should be fine. Minimum Connection Time @ Sydney pre covid was 60 minutes; no idea if it’s changed.

60 Minutes was never an issue for me International to International. Though I don’t always book such tight connections as the QF First lounge is a delight; and I tend to sit at the front of the plane – if you are in economy try and get a seat near the front of the plane.

There is a good transit security – and not a lot of users in my experience (where being at the front of the plane is a big benefit). After that the international airport is pretty small so its not too far to your next gate.

Gammel 14 posts

u07ch, thanks! Yes to single ticket, being up front, and online check-in! If Qantas sells me the ticket then the onus is on them, yeah?

Scottpat78 243 posts

If it’s any help, assuming you are staying in the international terminal….. I landed in SYD at 17.06 on Saturday night. I was in my Uber at 17.36.
    I was 30 mins to clear immigration (they have lots of e gates and a ticket system), pick up my bag and walk to the pick up point.

John 1,000 posts

@Gammel, some years ago now but when we flew LHR-SYD-WLG on a single booking we had to go through immigration and security at SYD. It might be a different coming from NZ though, as I know the two countries have specific travel agreements with each other. And I am in no way an expert!

You shouldn’t have had to do that, unless SYD transit security was closed. It did use to close later in the evenings I think.

The trans-Tasman travel agreement relates to citizenship, not where you are coming from – like how Irish citizens can freely enter other EU countries not necessarily travelling from Ireland, but there are still controls between Ireland and Schengen for everyone.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.