Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Taking to the skies [I’m joining cabin crew]

• njb 65 posts

Many many thanks to those of you who responded when I asked for customer service experiences.
    At the ripe old age of 59 I have successfully applied for a BA cabin crew role.
    Not for the money I hasten to add but for so many other reasons.
    Hoping to meet you one day in the skies – akthiugh no doubt I will be down the back for a while!

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Good for you, good luck and I hope you enjoy! I am sure it’s not the easiest (especially if Rhys is on it 😉 ) but hopefully it will prove to be fulfilling and an experience!

Supergers49 225 posts

Congratulations and good luck. As someone who has procured crew HOTAC please try and avoid naked wheelbarrow racing with the rest of the crew along the hotel corridors!

Aston100 1,388 posts

Good luck!

AJA 1,071 posts

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy the experience and get to go to some interesting destinations.

Lady London 2,045 posts

Congratulations @njb! What are the next steps? I seem to remember there might be a training programme you have to get through with a swimmimg test?

Lady London 2,045 posts

Congratulations and good luck. As someone who has procured crew HOTAC please try and avoid naked wheelbarrow racing with the rest of the crew along the hotel corridors!

@Supergers49 I hope you managed to secure very good discounts with the hotels based on the fact that crew might do that? 🙂

Amy C 372 posts

Wonderful news, I’m so pleased for you. Hope you love it and that the passengers are kind to you 👏👏👏

Michael C 671 posts

Fantastic!
    Make sure you keep any giddy HfPers under strict control!

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

Congratulations! Also; fair play to BA here. We all know there are plenty of companies that – although they’ll never admit it of course – do age discriminate and would never take on a 59yo for a new role. If people have the enthusiasm and attitude njb is displaying here then they’re a huge asset at any age.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

Go for it. BA seems to be keen to accept a wide range of cabin crew at the moment. I also know a few who took redundancy last year who are going back, despite swearing they never would.

Supergers49 225 posts

@Supergers49 I hope you managed to secure very good discounts with the hotels based on the fact that crew might do that? 🙂

We got thrown out by the hotel management. It wasn’t an isolated incident, unfortunately. We shifted the crew to quite a nice Holiday Inn in downtown Chicago.

Super Secret Stuff 364 posts

Good luck njb! Make sure you use and enjoy the staff travel benefits!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Lyn 188 posts

Congratulations, Wonderful news! With your attitude and enthusiasm, both BA and your future passengers are very lucky.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

I’ve always had great experiences with BA cabin crew – the difference between the flight experience and the hellish booking/cancellation/change processes is vast enough to have kept me coming back over the past few years! It’s good to know they value maturity and experience as well. There have been a couple of times when they’ve gone above and beyond and just made it a pleasure to travel.

jj 520 posts

@NorthernLass I completely agree. In my experience, the crew have always been BA’s greatest asset and I genuinely have never had a bad experience in countless flight – unlike various other airlines.

Given your attitude, @njb, I suspect the you will maintain the tradition of excellence. Good luck.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I hope they pay you well and not take advantage of people eager to get an experience.

njb 65 posts

Thanks for all the good wishes – its something I have always wanted to do and it appears it is never to late!

I will be avoiding naked wheelbarrow races – previous life experiences as a holiday rep in 80’s Ibiza has prepared me for most things but not that @Supergars49!

@LadyLondon – training programme is 6 weeks and pretty intense. Based near LHR and any accommodation self funded.

@Rob
    and @Savagesquirrel – BA seem to be taking on a lot of new staff of a certain age. Although I was definitely the oldest at the assessment day.

Will make the most of the benefits and seeing places I might never go to otherwise and @buildbackbetter – the pay is atrocious but my pension tops it up!!

George K 292 posts

May I also add my ‘good luck’ to all those who did so already. The fact that you’ve already made an effort to understand how do people perceive this role and how to best please people is a testament to your dedication – even before being selected!

BA is lucky to have you, and I’m sure, so are we.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

Thanks for all the good wishes – its something I have always wanted to do and it appears it is never to late!

I will be avoiding naked wheelbarrow races – previous life experiences as a holiday rep in 80’s Ibiza has prepared me for most things but not that @Supergars49!

@LadyLondon – training programme is 6 weeks and pretty intense. Based near LHR and any accommodation self funded.

@Rob
    and @Savagesquirrel – BA seem to be taking on a lot of new staff of a certain age. Although I was definitely the oldest at the assessment day.

Will make the most of the benefits and seeing places I might never go to otherwise and @buildbackbetter – the pay is atrocious but my pension tops it up!!

I really hope I bump into you one day and we can reminisce about the 80s!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.