Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Temporary downgrade from Platinum to Gold possible?

• dshunter 47 posts

I’m considering a downgrade.

Seeing very limited value with most trips in 2024 booked at independent hotels (booking.com/lufthansa offer) and enough lounge passes from Barclays/gold card for the economy flights – when the lounges have space…

I’m also a bit irritated by the recent melia cashback not paying out despite following the ts and cs. Unable to speak to anyone who can help.

However I’ve had some decent upgrades with hotel status and I’d like to return once my girlfriend gets U.K. residency so she can get the companion card.

So if they call my bluff and don’t offer a good retention, how soon can I return to platinum? I’m not interested in bonus churning.

RTS 125 posts

your hotel status’ gets retained anyways – so if thats your only concern, you’ll be fine for a while.

NorthernLass 7,594 posts

Have you written to Amex about your cashback? I had a similar thing with one of the offers last year – got nowhere on chat so wrote in and eventually got the rebate plus £50 for my trouble.

dshunter 47 posts

Main concern is returning to platinum in 9 months or so. Not trying to game the system. Just don’t want to pay £600 for very little this year.

zapato1060 639 posts

Main concern is returning to platinum in 9 months or so. Not trying to game the system. Just don’t want to pay £600 for very little this year.

Its the gamble. For the most part in my experience its been to do with your line of credit. If you have been paying on time and your Gold credit limit is not too high then you “should” be able to upgrade. I will cancel the Plat but for 24 month purposes.

FredWatson 1 post

I recommend you ask Amex. Explain your reasoning. Ask to take your points across if you do. Cancelling a card effects your credit score. Another option, which Amex do now and then, is if you tell them you are thinking of cancelling they can reduce the premium on the card for a year.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.