Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The Tesco Clubcard Pay+ prepaid debit card thread

• nw8727 22 posts

https://www.tescobank.com/clubcard-pay-plus/

I was wondering if anyone has signed up for this and whether points are applied for some payments (Ernie, HMRC etc)?

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Ibblybibbly 31 posts

I paid have paid my tax bills with it (previously had Tesco Bank Debit Card) and points have been credited. Just a shame we can no longer convert to avios.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    nw8727 22 posts

Oh interesting. I don’t mind collecting points still as I mainly use hotels.com for accommodation.

Leigh 30 posts

Paid HMRC using my Clubcard Pay+ card last week and received points.

Freddy 12 posts

A £10k tax bill would give £12.50 in clubcard points. Not sure it’s even worth entertaining tbh

Go197 78 posts

A £10k tax bill would give £12.50 in clubcard points. Not sure it’s even worth entertaining tbh

That would be £37.50 if used correctly, which is certainly worthwhile compared to nothing.

Are there any options that beat this if you don’t have Curve?

notenoughmiles 30 posts

Chase Debit has 1% back on “everyday spend”

I haven’t tried to with HMRC yet though. Maybe someone else has?

milesandmordor 10 posts

Chase seem to have covered all the bases , including some of the more usual loopholes , so I am guessing HMRC isn’t included ( though no harm maybe paying £10 and seeing if it works , as cashback earned shows almost instantly in the app.

jondave 8 posts

Has anyone tried Clubcard pay+ with NSI?
    The old Tesco debit cards used to work with them.

Toaster 104 posts

Someone definitely has.

Why don’t you try and see if it works?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    blenz101 24 posts

Yes. No points. Specifically excluded in the T&C as well. Vanguard also no points. Standard life also no points.

weekirky60 2 posts

You get no points in use you use the card for Apple Pay outside of Tesco.

Carlos 758 posts

You get no points in use you use the card for Apple Pay outside of Tesco.

wow Pay+ sucks, no S75 protection too

jondave 8 posts

Yes. No points. Specifically excluded in the T&C as well. Vanguard also no points. Standard life also no points.

Pay+ sucks even more, shame they added that exclusion, I thought the old Tesco debit cards also had that exclusion but they still gave points with NSI.

highnal 20 posts

Has anyone successfully managed to use their Tesco Clubcard+ to pay HMRC yet?

I received my card last Friday, activated this morning, topped up with funds from my current account, then purchased something in person using the card to make sure it worked. Attempted to pay self assessment online and was hit with a “We couldn’t complete your payment” error. Tried breaking it down into smaller payments under £10k and it still doesn’t work.

toddy 113 posts

For those who have used the card, how quickly do the points post?

hackinjack 12 posts

Has anyone successfully managed to use their Tesco Clubcard+ to pay HMRC yet?

I received my card last Friday, activated this morning, topped up with funds from my current account, then purchased something in person using the card to make sure it worked. Attempted to pay self assessment online and was hit with a “We couldn’t complete your payment” error. Tried breaking it down into smaller payments under £10k and it still doesn’t work.

Worked for me this morning, just over 1k – had to authorise it using the app *then* confirrm on HMRC website that I’d authorised it – odd.

highnal 20 posts

Followed these tips from Magic Mike in the comments from today’s article and the payment to HMRC has now gone through successfully.

Tips for Clubcard Pay+

– do whatever is necessary not to trigger anti-fraud blocks on your sending bank account, i.e. transfer a few hundred £ first rather than many thousands
    – maybe christen the Pay+ card with a £8 Amazon topup first? (£8 cos that’s 1 clubcard point…)
    – wait until the next day to make the HMRC payment once the transfer has appeared in your Pay+ account
    – again do a first payment of a few hundred before stepping up from there
    – do not have the Tesco Bank app open when paying HMRC, it won’t show the authorisation request. You have to open the app anew for the auth request to appear. *stupid!*

Worked fine for me over the past few days, last payment yesterday.

HughM 71 posts

Within the constraint of transferring a few thousand at a time, there seems to be no block on payments to HMRC using the Tesco Clubcard Pay+ prepaid card.
    But: “clubcard points can take up to 7 days to update,” and no sign of them yet.

jonnyfly 38 posts

Really basic question – my Tesco points (from shopping at Tesco) seem to autoconvert to money-off vouchers to scan in store (can’t see any option to change this preference in the Tesco Clubcard app. These vouchers have redeem-before dates too. I presume it’s too late to convert these back to points.

I certainly don’t want points earned using Pay+ card to autoconvert – I want to build up a points balance I can redeem with a partner of my choosing. How do I set this?

Are these Pay+ points in a different pot from Clubcard-earned (in Tesco) points? I can’t quite figure out how this all works. (The Pay+ points haven’t visibly arrived yet anyway). Thanks

Genghis 12 posts

The “money off vouchers” with an expiry date can still be used to spend on anything in the Clubcard catalogue, 3x at hotels.com, for instance.

Each quarter, Tesco converts points earned into such vouchers. These vouchers are valid for two years.

What you can do is to turn on Xmas saver such that points are only turned into vouchers once a year in November, thereby increasing expiry.

It’s still possible to convert points to a voucher any time (by turning vouchers preference back on). Expiry can also easily be extended by getting change from something you buy (spend voucher and get change in points).

MartyB 3 posts

Hi there – Apple Pay won’t give a discount on Yellow Price items in Tesco Stores
    A quick warning to anyone who has added the Tesco Clubcard Pay+ card to Apple Pay on an Apple Watch and uses it in a Tesco branch to purchase discounted items for Clubcard holders – you will not receive any discount on Yellow Price items where a discount can be obtained with a Clubcard. I experienced this today at my local Tesco. I managed to obtain a refund for the difference and on my return home I called Tesco Bank who are aware of this issue with Apple Pay and Clubcard Pay+ (I am not sure if it affects Apple Pay on iPhone but presume it does), and they said they hope to fix it soon but there is no date for this.
    This is rather disappointing as the convenience of the card for me was to be able to pay and collect points or bag a discount with one wave of the Watch. Now I will have to pay with the physical card to get the Yellow Discounted price. Or swipe my Clubcard and then pay by Apple Pay on my watch.
    First world pains I guess but thought I would flag this issue for you Apple Pay tech fans.

jonnyfly 38 posts

What you can do is to turn on Xmas saver such that points are only turned into vouchers once a year in November, thereby increasing expiry.

Thanks Genghis. I’m clearly being daft but I can’t see a Christmas Saver option in either the Clubcard app or the Tesco Grocery app. Any pointers appreciated.

CH 16 posts

Now I will have to pay with the physical card to get the Yellow Discounted price. Or swipe my Clubcard and then pay by Apple Pay on my watch.

Is there a Stocard equivalent on the watch that you could swipe your Clubcard before paying (which you might be referring to anyway)? That would be two swipes of the watch but better (maybe!) than not being able to get Clubcard Prices? I’m assuming the “Yellow Price items” are Clubcard Prices rather than the “reduced” sticker items!

elguiri 216 posts

Tax Free Childcare is based on NS&I (at least that one pops up on the payments to school). Pay+ works with them and gets the points (took about 4 days to arrive though)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.