Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Tier upgrade during status extension period

• singgn 6 posts

So, back in March 2020, Virgin extended the status of Silver/Gold members for six months to give “more time to build up your Tier Points and to retain your status.” This was ultimately extended to a total of 24 months. What this meant for me was that my Silver status was extended from June 2020 to June 2022. I started flying again in August last year and was under the impression that as long as I earnt 1,000 tier points by June 2022 (later reduced to 800 by April 2022), I would move up to Gold. Having hit 1,025 tier points at the weekend, I expected to move to Gold. But sadly not. I checked in with Virgin’s Twitter team, and this was their response – You earned 1,025 tier points between June 2019 and June 2022, however to get gold you need 1,000 in a rolling 12 months. You need another 175 tier points before August 2022 to get Gold status. Am I the only person to have interpreted the status freeze/extension to mean I had an additional 24 months to get to 1,000 tier points? And that the additional time didn’t involve the usual rolling 12-month period?

Molly 89 posts

It seems a little unfair, I assume you had around 175 “legacy” tier points rollover during the extension? What’s the point of rolling over the points when they don’t contribute towards your total? Does you tier point counter show 1025 tier points or 825 in your flying club summary?

Panda Mick 41 posts

Mine shows 525 for the last two years. Was hoping to hit 800 by june (also my year rollover)

If this is not so, I’ll not be bothering to renew.

singgn 6 posts

I had 200 “legacy” points pre-pandemic. A little update, my flying club account did change to Gold the day after posting this (despite Virgin telling me otherwise via Twitter). And tier points also reset to zero (as expected). However, the tier points I earned on the return flight (day after the reset), plus the Virgin Holidays tier points, didn’t raise the tier points total.

I spoke to The helpline ten days ago. Initially l, the response was the same as that on Twitter (I need 1,000 within a rolling 12-month period). Then, it changed to unsure what has happened and requires further investigation. Not heard back yet.

sara 32 posts

@singgn did you ever get somewhere on this? its happened to me too where I got to 800 including during pandemic and its still showing as silver and virgin says its because i didnt get 800 in the last 12 months?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.