Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Transfer routes into IHG

• notenoughmiles 30 posts

Hi,

I’m about 5000 points short for a redemption stay in September.

Are there any “creative” transfer routes in to IHG? I have a load of Amex MR and Avios and some Emirates Skywards too.

NorthernLass 7,565 posts

I don’t think Amex is an IHG partner.
    Don’t make a habit of it, but if you book somewhere using the option to buy extra points to reduce the cash cost, you get the refund of the points if you cancel. It’s ok as a one off but there have been dire consequences reported for serial offenders!

notenoughmiles 30 posts

So I was just looking at that. Do you mean, I saw that if I booked a cash and points rate, I’d get the cash element back in points so effectively I’ve “bought” the points.

So it’s 25,000 points per night or 20,000 + £26. If I book the cash+points and cancel, I’d be refunded 25,000 points so the 5000 points would have cost me £26.

Is this what you mean or something different?

ChrisC 956 posts

Yes that’s what she means.

Of course see if that’s available for the hotel you want.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    NorthernLass 7,565 posts

Yes that would make more sense 🤦‍♀️😂

notenoughmiles 30 posts

Just realised I don’t even need to do that. This gets me 5000 points at roughly 0.52p a point. Not far off the 0.45p when they run 80% buy points promos so I’ll just do that and keep the reservation.

Buying points at the moment without the promo is approx. 1p a point.

I just assumed IHG would be like Hilton when using points+cash til I checked. Hilton has never made sense to use the cash+points whenever I’ve checked.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.