Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Upgrade leg without unmarrying segment?

• jp0 3 posts

Hi,

I have PE booked with Virgin (with money) outbound LHR-LAX-LAS and availability is showing for LHR-LAX upgrade to UC. Unfortunately agent says I can’t upgrade the leg because upgrade is not currently available while the segment legs are married.

VS agent said I need to unmarry the segment or phone them occasionally to check availability as there is no way to tell online if upgrade is possible on the married segment.

I don’t want to unmarry the segment. I wasn’t clear from the VS agent what is going on here. Do I need to look for upgrade reward availability for both legs (i.e. look at the Delta flight as well)? Is it true there is no way online to tell when I might be able to upgrade? I only care about upgrading LHR-LAX, economy for the Delta part is fine.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

davefl 1,222 posts

Try calling again and hope to get a better agent. There’s no reason I’m aware of that you can’t upgrade a flight of there’s UC tickets available for points.

I’ve even used Delta miles to upgrade just the domestic leg of my VS booked MAN-JFK-ORF booking which was a PE miles plus voucher booking to UC.

jp0 3 posts

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I tried again, this time the agent went ahead and everything sounded good but when they tried to remove the LHR-LAX PE to add the UC the system told them that it was a married flight and can’t be removed without removing the Delta flight. I was told it was the way the travel agent had booked it (corporate; amex travel), this happens sometimes and nothing they can do. Hmm. So no luck, again, unfortunately.

AL 577 posts

Concur with HUCA. Hope for Swansea.

strickers 651 posts

The title describes my life at the moment, I would love to upgrade my right leg from its current state of being in a knee brace 2 weeks after surgery. If I can do so soon I will alleviate the risk of becoming unmarried, Mrs S’s patience is starting to wear thin. Apologies that I can’t help at all with the actual question!

Jim Utd 18 posts

This is possible, I’ve done the same on both the outbound and inbound of LHR-ATL-AUS. The agent should make it clear it’s the transatlantic leg only that gets upgraded but as long as there is availability in Upper for reward seats on the LHR-LAX flight you are fine. Echo the HUACA comments.

jp0 3 posts

Hi, I gave up. I couldn’t get the leg upgraded via agent, maybe it was because it was a special corporate rate, I don’t know. One VS agent even went as far as debiting my miles and then “computer said no” so they had to refund them back.

I was going to try my luck at the airport but bid upgrade was successful (LHR-LAX PE to UC £480). Bid upgrade system had no problem applying it, despite the “married” Delta connection that caused VS agents so much difficulty.

Thanks for suggestions.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.