Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Upgrade from Barclaycard Platinum?

• Carlos 758 posts

Has anyone managed to upgrade from a Barclaycard Platinum to Barclaycard Avios free/plus?

skyscraper101 2 posts

No, I keep trying through the app and I’m repeatedly told there are ‘no options’ to change from Platinum. I’ve even gone into a Barclays branch and they were no help, and I called the dedicated Barclays Premier Banking line and they were not able to do anything. I may as well close my account. I’m not getting any benefits on the platinum card.

namster 70 posts

same here been a bc platinum for 2 years but only standard avios card available through app no other options. I believe someone here tried getting standard avios then seeing if there is a upgrade to avios plus but it has not worked. Time is running out as offer ends Nov 30th

skyscraper101 2 posts

I’m thinking just to close my Barclaycard altogether if I cannot switch. I see no benefits to Platinum anyway.

Carlos 758 posts

4 people in my household have the platinum and/or another product which in my opinion doesnt have much value too, its a shame that they cant offer an upgrade as we count as existing cardholders (which do not earn points)

Roberto 280 posts

I swapped the BC plat to the basic Avios card on the app earlier in the summer a few months after the cards were introduced. Kept checking and eventually it came up as an option to upgrade – processed in a jiffy and already have my UG voucher. I also have the Hilton card.

Carlos 758 posts

I swapped the BC plat to the basic Avios card on the app earlier in the summer a few months after the cards were introduced. Kept checking and eventually it came up as an option to upgrade – processed in a jiffy and already have my UG voucher. I also have the Hilton card.

Been checking one for ages, no options available all the time

Update:
    Oh great, one offer came through
    1000 bonus for a free card or 5000 for the avios plus

Will they still be eligible to get the 100k offer if they additionally open a premier account?

geordiemunro 16 posts

I’m in the same boat and stuck with the BC Platinum. It’s useful for balance transfer offers, but that’s it.

I did wonder if I need to clear the open balance transfer amount I have before I get an upgrade offer?

Carlos 758 posts

It appeared out of no where, keep checking
    I suppose we need more data points

Luca M 391 posts

My wife had to Platinum cards from a time when Barclaycard allowed multiple accounts. She managed to swap them both, in early summer, one to basic Avios and one to the Rewards one (free Forex plus 0.25% cashback), as again the platinum had no benefit.

I have a CashBack card and a HHonours (and know few people that kept the same two cards from other forums) and I have offers on both to swap to any of the current Barclaycard offers (Avios, Avios Plus, Rewards and platinum…)

Gary 293 posts

one to the Rewards one (free Forex plus 0.25% cashback)

Only switched to this a few week ago. In case you have already done a cash withdrawal abroad, any fees? How did the Fx compare to other cards (eg Curve)?

sijt 3 posts

An observation having successfully moved from Platinum to Avios Plus.

Going through the app a few weeks ago I saw the option to upgrade (I think there were three options total, including the Avios cards) so I started going through the process. I got to the bit where you have to enter your Avios number and had to jump in to another app to retrieve the number before going back in to the Barclaycard app. Having copied my Avios number, and going back in to the Barclaycard app the app effectively refreshed and kicked me to the home screen. Going back to the change card option and it said there were no options available. Great. Badly written app seemed to kill my chances of getting the bonus.

I’d read online that the upgrade options could appear and disappear seemingly at random, so I did try a few times at various times and days over the next week but with no luck. No Options Available every time.

That was until I tried at the same time and on the same day as the first time I got the option. Just gone midnight on a Thursday (so early Thursday morning / late Wednesday night). Option was there, I went through the steps and everything appears to have worked. I had a text confirmation the next day. I’ve also now set up the Premier bank account, so should be in line for the 100k+ avios.

So if you’re desperate, try just at just gone midnight on a Thursday morning. It appeared to work consistently to me. I wonder if there’s some sort of weekly cap that resets at that time or something.

Carlos 758 posts

An observation having successfully moved from Platinum to Avios Plus.

Going through the app a few weeks ago I saw the option to upgrade (I think there were three options total, including the Avios cards) so I started going through the process. I got to the bit where you have to enter your Avios number and had to jump in to another app to retrieve the number before going back in to the Barclaycard app. Having copied my Avios number, and going back in to the Barclaycard app the app effectively refreshed and kicked me to the home screen. Going back to the change card option and it said there were no options available. Great. Badly written app seemed to kill my chances of getting the bonus.

I’d read online that the upgrade options could appear and disappear seemingly at random, so I did try a few times at various times and days over the next week but with no luck. No Options Available every time.

That was until I tried at the same time and on the same day as the first time I got the option. Just gone midnight on a Thursday (so early Thursday morning / late Wednesday night). Option was there, I went through the steps and everything appears to have worked. I had a text confirmation the next day. I’ve also now set up the Premier bank account, so should be in line for the 100k+ avios.

So if you’re desperate, try just at just gone midnight on a Thursday morning. It appeared to work consistently to me. I wonder if there’s some sort of weekly cap that resets at that time or something.

How long did it take for the physical card to arrive, still waiting almost been two weeks.

Do you think non-activity on the Platinum card plays a role in not seeing any upgrade offers? It only appeared a 2-4 weeks after activity and on another household none at all, so will try the Thurs tip

sijt 3 posts

How long did it take for the physical card to arrive, still waiting almost been two weeks.

Do you think non-activity on the Platinum card plays a role in not seeing any upgrade offers? It only appeared a 2-4 weeks after activity and on another household none at all, so will try the Thurs tip

No physical card yet, but it says it will be sent after my statement date, which isn’t until next week. My Platinum card hasn’t had any activity on it for a long time, and there was no balance on it. I was about to cancel it before this offer came up because it wasn’t getting any use.

Luca M 391 posts

one to the Rewards one (free Forex plus 0.25% cashback)

Only switched to this a few week ago. In case you have already done a cash withdrawal abroad, any fees? How did the Fx compare to other cards (eg Curve)?

Hi, we have not done a Cash Withdrawal abroad and will not be doing it to be fair as we prefer to use Chase UK Debit Card for that purpose.

CC will report Cash Withdrawal to the credit agencies, and most times charges you are charged interest on it from day one (albeit I seem to remember that this BC Rewards card may not do so immediately).

With regards to exchange rates, this is a Visa card and Curve is a MasterCard, which generally give better rates (Chase Debit card, Santander forex free CC and Debit Cards where applicable, Halifax Clarity, NatWest/RBS Rewards Black are all Mastercards), hence we have taken it as a back up. The 0.25% cashback may make up for the difference in exchange rate, so needs to be taken into consideration.

BTW, I did just decided to product change my legacy CashBack for the Avios Plus for the 100k bonus (already a long term Premier customer) and di that within the App with no issues whatsoever

namster 70 posts

update , I had the bc platinum and then switched to standard avios card , then after a week the avios plus appeared to which I have now joined and also the BC premier banking. The agent I chatted to provided details that it can take up to eight weeks for 100k avios to appear in BAEC account but will not appear in your BC app

JDB 4,345 posts

update , I had the bc platinum and then switched to standard avios card , then after a week the avios plus appeared to which I have now joined and also the BC premier banking. The agent I chatted to provided details that it can take up to eight weeks for 100k avios to appear in BAEC account but will not appear in your BC app

The two months/eight weeks to which the agent referred (for the 100k Avios to be credited) starts once you have completed four months with both products open and Avios Rewards turned on for Premier. The precise date should be in your eligibility email.

Gary 293 posts

Thanks @Luca M for the pointers. For us, BC Rewards CC would be intended for very occasional use such as weekends or when Curve fails.

namster 70 posts

The two months/eight weeks to which the agent referred (for the 100k Avios to be credited) starts once you have completed four months with both products open and Avios Rewards turned on for Premier. The precise date should be in your eligibility email.

When does the eligibility email arrive (i may have missed it)

JDB 4,345 posts

@namster it seems very variable – a few days to three weeks. It isn’t necessarily essential to have it, but it’s reassuring to know you have jumped through the hoops correctly and have a specific date. I would chase after about three weeks.

carmer 1 post

Hi all

Just a quick question regarding eligibility here. I have BC Platinum, as well as Barclays Premier, but the option to upgrade my Platinum card to Avios Plus wasn’t offered….until today.

My billing cycle starts on the 4th, and I understand if I upgrade they will not send me a new card until Dec 4th.

If I apply today, given offer ends on 30th Nov and I won’t receive new card until after 4th Dec, does anyone know if I will receive 100k avios still? Will I be ‘officially’ active when I apply or only after my next billing cycle?

ClubSmed 174 posts

I have not used my Barclaycard Platinum in a long time, so maybe the lack of Avios Plus (only Std Avios) Credit Card could be due to that. I expect it is too late for me to test this and actually get under the wire for this offer now though…

ClubSmed 174 posts

I have just received an email from Barclays asking for feedback on my Premier Account opening experience.
    The feedback is not going to be favourable…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.