Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Hilton Honors Value from purchasing Hilton points or transferring Amex points

• DAFC 6 posts

Am I missing something on Hilton redemptions? I am looking to book a hotel in Mauritius priced at 60,000 points per night.
    I have no points so will require to purchase them or transfer from Amex.
    The basic Room rate is 210$ or 240$ DBB
    80,000 miles doubled to 160,000 is 800$
    I’m guessing my wife could do the same so …. plus transfer points in but even with the free fifth night I’m not breaking even against cash.

Thanks Alastair

Rui N. 830 posts

In some cases it’s cheaper to buy points, in some cases it isn’t. If it was always cheaper to buy points everyone would do it and the cash rates would be meaningless.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,229 posts

Remember that it isn’t MEANT to make sense! You need to keep an eye out for those occasions where it does work, and in spades, such as my Waldorf Dubai trip at Christmas 2020 – https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/03/08/how-to-get-cheap-hotel-rooms-by-buying-loyalty-points/

However ….

You get ‘5 for 4’ on reward nights and they are cancellable.

So …. you buy 240,000 points for $1,200. This gets you five nights, fully cancellable. The average price is $240 per night – for a fully cancellable room, including all taxes.

I’m pretty sure for large parts of the year, this hotel will sell for over $240 in which case you’d be in pocket buying points.

DAFC 6 posts

Thanks for the replies guys, it is pretty much what I realised but thought I was missing something after reading the redemption story.

Cheers

Alastair

can 506 posts

I did that too for a Hilton resort for 10 days. So I paid for 8 with points. I had enough points but it was a pretty good deal with %100 bonus Hilton points compared to cash. and I hit a milestone bonus, which means it cost me even less points.
    I even split the points payment by purchasing Hilton points over months as they run a %100 bonus deal every other month almost.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.