Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Virgin Atlantic Joins Skyeam

• Devils Advocate 15 posts

Virgin Atlantic joins skyteam, fully. Interesting options. What about the ITA Airways status giveaway?!

Super Secret Stuff 364 posts

Interesting. Need to think if this changes my strategy at all. Since moving to Manchester I’ve been wondering about this anyway.

Andrew J 769 posts

*will join in 2023. Not yet.

Andrew J 769 posts

Will be good to be able to use the Clubhouse on a AF flight from LHR. Unless they go down the Qatar Airways “premium lounge” route making it only accessible for Upper Class passengers – capacity might struggle to accommodate all of AF’s business and status passengers. Not to mention the Upper Class Wing might become a bit overused.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

@Rob is reporting on Twitter it won’t be a free-for-all for SkyTeam elites in the LHR clubhouse.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

… and can somebody please edit the thread title?! Looks like scheme in my head…

meta 1,439 posts

And end of ANA redemptions…

Devils Advocate 15 posts

… and can somebody please edit the thread title?! Looks like scheme in my head…

Sorry, my bad, sausage fingers!

Devils Advocate 15 posts

And end of ANA redemptions…

Lets hope not! That was the best burn! I did IAD-TYO-LHR x2 for £344 in taxes.

meta 1,439 posts

There is no way that they are staying given that ANA is in Star Alliance. Maybe in short term, but I can’t see this being available beyond 2023.

Andrew J 769 posts

@Rob is reporting on Twitter it won’t be a free-for-all for SkyTeam elites in the LHR clubhouse.

Not according to Virgin:
    “Virgin Atlantic will officially enrol in SkyTeam in early 2023, at which point we will offer eligible customers, such as SkyTeam Elite Plus customers, access to our Clubhouse lounges, and in return eligible Virgin Atlantic customers can enjoy the lounges of SkyTeam and its member airlines. These benefits remain on the horizon for now, but more information will be available soon.”

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/partner-airlines/skyteam-faqs.html?cid=PDM117492&bid=509775342

Mouse 173 posts

Presumably SkyTeam will open a basic elite lounge in T3 and the Clubhouse will become like Al Mourjan or Concorde Room with special access requirements outside of the cartel’s usual access rules.

Happeemonkee 23 posts

Just received the email from Virgin

We’re absolutely thrilled to let you know that Virgin Atlantic will be joining SkyTeam next year. This global partnership of airlines provides seamless travel to more than 1,000 destinations around the world, spanning six continents. It’s great news for us, and even better news for you.

It’s also a mutually rewarding loyalty programme, with opportunities to earn and redeem points across all the airlines and extended status for our Flying Club members. As a Gold member, you’ll be recognised as Sky Team Elite Plus, which means you'll be treated to priority check in and boarding, extra baggage allowance, and access to 750 airport lounges worldwide.

These changes are still on the horizon. We’ll be in touch again closer to the time of launch, to let you know when you can start benefitting from travelling with our SkyTeam partners.

Andrew J 769 posts

Presumably SkyTeam will open a basic elite lounge in T3 and the Clubhouse will become like Al Mourjan or Concorde Room with special access requirements outside of the cartel’s usual access rules.

Not according to the information Virgin have put out today.

mynameisjonny 46 posts

Do we think this could put some pressure on BA’s UK FF dominance? A big short haul network could have an impact.

Gary 293 posts

Interesting. Cherry on top would be allowing 2-4-1/upgrade vouchers to be used with other Skyteam members. Think it’s wishful thinking on my part.

Mouse 173 posts

Where does it say they will have access on the same basis that they access other SkyTeam lounges today?

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

Any more of this and @Rob, you might have to rewrite all those articles where you said it is very possible that we have passed ‘peak’ airline alliance. 😀 😀

To be fair, I thought you were right.

Andrew J 769 posts

Where does it say they will have access on the same basis that they access other SkyTeam lounges today?

“Virgin Atlantic will officially enrol in SkyTeam in early 2023, at which point we will offer eligible customers, such as SkyTeam Elite Plus customers, access to our Clubhouse lounges, and in return eligible Virgin Atlantic customers can enjoy the lounges of SkyTeam and its member airlines. These benefits remain on the horizon for now, but more information will be available soon.”

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/partner-airlines/skyteam-faqs.html?cid=PDM117492&bid=509775342

Mouse 173 posts

Access doesn’t mean unfettered access. It could mean access when you are flying intercontinental business class, for example.

Andrew J 769 posts

Access doesn’t mean unfettered access. It could mean access when you are flying intercontinental business class, for example.

Unlikely.

Mikeact 232 posts

Great news, I for one will look forward to using the highly regarded Virgin lounges.
    And redeeming more on Virgin like we did a couple of months back. It remains to be seen how many miles per award, and if they will be aligned…some have been outrageous . I expect that using AF Premier awards but not regular US routes by other SkyTeam members. AF/KL monthly Promo Awards can be worth checking out.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.