Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club Virgin Atlantic upgrade

• Indy500 150 posts

Hi folks. So I want to pay for an upgrade on an upcoming VA flight. The site gives this option but the link does nothing other than lead to the ridiculous ‘bid for an upgrade’. DMs on Twitter is like pushing string uphill. Continually tell me to use their WhatsApp ‘service’. That will not deal with you until 14 days from flight. Here I am, trying to give them money and they won’t let me. It’s a 2 hour wait on the ‘phone just to simply upgrade but with no guarantee that they can do it anyway. I can do it on BA in 5 mins. This is my first VA flight for 20 years. Looking like the last. Just an utter b@llache.. 🙃

Gary 293 posts

Ring at 7am when call centre opens, or what’s app as 14 day rule not really adhered to.

Indy500 150 posts

Thanks Gary.After making a nuisance of myself on Twitter, someone replied telling me that although there are seats available in Premier, they are not available for upgrade only cash sales. He suggested cancelling and rebooking. Not a chance as the fares have increased by 60% since I booked. He also said just wait until a few days before and maybe they will have availability. A little frustrating to say the least… I have tried the Whatsapp service multiple times and I can’t get past the 14 day thing but if what the other guy said is true then I’m wasting my time anyway… Toodle pip…

dougzz99 623 posts

But this isn’t just a VS thing is it, it’s airline revenue management. If fares have increased 60% that’s because they think they can sell at that price. Presumably you wouldn’t buy the upgrade at the difference between what you paid and the fare now, as you’ve said no chance. Why would they sell you the upgrade at less than they think they can get the seat to sell for?

Indy500 150 posts

Well, they don’t know what I’m willing to pay do they? Anyway, I’m not not fussed, Economy Light seems fine and we’re going for the holiday in the Grenadines not for the flight.

AL 568 posts

Leave it until a few days before; if RM think they can target a seat at you, you’ll start getting offers in the app. If there’s still space when OLCI opens, you’ll get them then, too.

Yes, it’s a pain when RM don’t open up seats (think of all of us with VS Points praying for G on the red-eyes!) but you might well end up paying less than currently for a Premium seat. If you’re in Light, too, look to see if you can go for a bump to Delight in an exit row – might be cheaper and give you a ‘similar’ experience.

Indy500 150 posts

Leave it until a few days before; if RM think they can target a seat at you, you’ll start getting offers in the app. If there’s still space when OLCI opens, you’ll get them then, too.

Yes, it’s a pain when RM don’t open up seats (think of all of us with VS Points praying for G on the red-eyes!) but you might well end up paying less than currently for a Premium seat. If you’re in Light, too, look to see if you can go for a bump to Delight in an exit row – might be cheaper and give you a ‘similar’ experience.

Thanks for the info.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.