Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Where to go for some winter sun?

• Reney 755 posts

I have a BA e voucher that will expire in September and 2 weeks of leave in Feb so I thought I would take advantage of the BA holiday sale. However I am at a lost as to why to go? Looking for inspiration – somewhere warm, it will be a friend and I, so two grown ups who enjoy cities and nature (doesn’t have to be both). Basically somewhere nice and warm with enough to do for a week and good food, reasonable local prices.

Thanks in advance.

AFKAE 144 posts

If you haven’t been before, Jordan would be a good option.

Plenty to do for a week, particularly if you move around.

Great weather and good prices.

Reney 755 posts

If you haven’t been before, Jordan would be a good option.

Plenty to do for a week, particularly if you move around.

Great weather and good prices.

Thanks, I looked at several websites and they all particularly commented on how chilly Jordan is in February.

Anna 458 posts

For guaranteed warm weather in Feb you need to be looking at long haul – what sort of distance do you want to travel?

pbcold 346 posts

I am currently in Cancun. It is a steady 29 degrees from about 8.30am.

Anna 458 posts

I am just about to leave Florida where it went from 12C to 29C in 5 days 😂

captaindave 113 posts

I,m hoping to get away to Lanza for a week/10 days in March ( guess that still just about counts as a Winter break ?!?! )

But firstly, need to get OHs passport renewed – i know everything is called a “crisis ” on what passes for TV news these days, is the “passport crisis ” still a thing ?

Secondly, our preferred hotel ( Princess Yaiza in Playa Blanca is coming up pretty expensive at present…. )

Reney 755 posts

For guaranteed warm weather in Feb you need to be looking at long haul – what sort of distance do you want to travel?

Probably <5 hours. I don’t need it to be very warm, in the 20s rather than teens for temp wise.

So far suggestions outside of the forum are Spain, Portugal, Tenerife, Canary Island, Cape verde.

Amy C 369 posts

Luxor. I got very sunburnt there in Feb a few years ago. Like you I have two weeks leave in Feb and a voucher expiry in Sept and am considering using it to go to Cairo then the hour long separate flight to Luxor. Should be sitting around a pool weather as well as amazing sights there. Taxis and food etc is cheap. Just got to be firm with the hustlers.

NigelHamilton 198 posts

I went to Lisbon in January 2019 and it was 24 degrees! Then Seville in early March and it was really warm (high 20’s/low 30’s I think). Both were exceptional cities with reasonable prices, though I would say more of a long weekend than a week. Why don’t you combine two cities on the Southern Iberian peninsula? Not too far to fly either.

Hbommie 191 posts

Long haul if you want good weather in Feb, I tried southern Spain last year in early March and it rained for 4 days out of 5. But if it’s a city break a bit of rain isn’t a big thing, Lisbon would be my choice.

Sprout 31 posts

We had a very enjoyable week in October travelling from Malaga to Granada then Cordoba then Seville and finally flew back from Malaga. We hired a car to travel between the cities as it worked out cheaper than the train. Awful lot to see and do with excellent reasonably priced food and drink.
    We looked at a day trip from Seville to Jerez which was quite easy but didn’t have quite enough time.

I am assuming the weather will be warm in Feb (it was high 20’s in mid Oct!)

JDB 4,340 posts

Cartagena, Spain was over 20 and blue skies in the ten days around Christmas and New Year. Great area, lots to see and do as well as very good, incredibly reasonable food and wine. Cooler in Murcia, another fascinating to visit, but just as warm in Valencia so should be pretty hot by March.

Aston100 1,382 posts

I think the Egypt suggestion upthread probably ticks all the boxes, though there is the additional cost and inconvenience (but not much) of onward travel from Cairo to Luxor and/or Aswan.

Pangolin 106 posts

Long haul if you want good weather in Feb, I tried southern Spain last year in early March and it rained for 4 days out of 5. But if it’s a city break a bit of rain isn’t a big thing, Lisbon would be my choice.

A friend of mine who lives in Andalucia warned me that early March sees some some of the worst weather of the whole year, as it can be very chaotic and unpredictable.

So I ignored her advice and booked a four day trip to Seville for the second week in March after finding a great deal in LH business class. It ended up with torrential rain and gale force winds for 4 days out of 4. I was like a drowned rat the whole time 🙁

jamesturk 49 posts

We’re not long back from the Dominican Republic. Weather was class 29/30 degrees every day! Don’t know if BA fly there direct from London; we went to Punta Cana via CDG.

NorthernLass 7,473 posts

They do, but it’s a bit longer than 5 hours!
    I’d go for Canaries, especially Tenerife or Gran Canaria which tend to have the most predictable warm weather in winter IME. Both would let you have the city AND nature experience – Tenerife would also be spectacular with snow on Mt Teide at this time of year.

Mayfield 16 posts

Just booked Cyprus for the beginning of March. Hopefully early 20’s….

kpe123 3 posts

Started process of online renewal of our passports on Wed pm (4 Jan) and put old passports in post that day. Texts and emails from PO next day pm saying old passports received and new passports approved. First thing this morning (6 Jan) text and email to say that new passports printed and “will be with delivery supplier in next few days”. Chances are we’ll have done the whole renewal and will have new passports in hand within a week. Passport crisis – what passport crisis? Great service if you renew in winter months.

I,m hoping to get away to Lanza for a week/10 days in March ( guess that still just about counts as a Winter break ?!?! )

But firstly, need to get OHs passport renewed – i know everything is called a “crisis ” on what passes for TV news these days, is the “passport crisis ” still a thing ?

Secondly, our preferred hotel ( Princess Yaiza in Playa Blanca is coming up pretty expensive at present…. )

captaindave 113 posts

Thanks kpe123 – OH is starting application today.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.