Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Why is the BA booking site so bad?

• weehaggis 6 posts

[Rant ON]
    I have been trying to book a return trip from EDI to EWR in BA’s recent premium seat sale. Their booking engine seems to insist on telling me that I should be going to JFK instead, offering very few options to EWR. In addition it was only offerring short connections at LHR. By checking on the ITA search site I could see plenty of options available to EWR and with safer LHR layovers – AND at sale prices. Tring the same search on AA I was offered many more options, and to EWR (thanks AA for not telling me that should I really being flying to JFK)..and again at the same BA sale prices. I didnt want to book on AA if I didnt have to due to not getting the extra Avios for booiking with Amex (and may have effected to number of tier points/avios earned).
    [Rant OFF]

I eventually called in to book and had no problems – just the long phone queue wait. I did ask the booking agent why I wasnt able to get the flights I was after on the BA site. She didnt see why not as were all showing up normally oh here system. (I bit my tongue at this point.)

So why is the BA site limiting options in this way? Whats the aversion to Newark? Is this just a badly implemented search engine, or is there some policy decision here?

Thanks for any insights.

Richie 976 posts

How long were the short connections by ba.com?

Froggee 886 posts

It’s shocking because of:

(1) an underinvestment in IT
    (2) the complexities of linking their various systems (new and old) together with external ones

No excuses- it’s unacceptable.

For what you wanted to do, you might have had better luck using their multi-city tool asking for a same say stopover at Heathrow. But sometimes that messes up pricing because… their systems are awful.

davet 107 posts

I work with somebody who used to work for Barclays IT and I can see why it is so bad lol

JDB 4,333 posts

@Froggee most legacy airlines and legacy banks have terrible IT, inter alia, for the reasons you mention and matters are unlikely to improve in the foreseeable future so one just needs to learn to live with the idiosyncrasies. LCCs were fortunate in starting with a clean sheet in key areas such as IT and pensions. US airlines are fortunate in having Sabre rather than Amadeus.

Money isn’t really the issue, the problem is more about risk in businesses wholly dependent on multiple systems. The TSB debacle was a salutary lesson, so all these firms will patch and mend until someone comes up with a solution.

weehaggis 6 posts

Around 60 – 90 mins.
    Ideally I look for at a 2-3hr connection at LHR. I know 1hr is supposed to be recommended minimum, but the number of times I have arrived on a flight at T5 and had to wait on the tarmac for the jetty operator to come off their tea break!! And yes I do like to have a bit of time to browse the whisky shop 🙂

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,047 posts

1. You have to remember that BA phone agents aren’t using the BA website to book flights – they have their own system which is why they can see everything.

2. No idea why they limit it but I agree it’s frustrating to search a multi city trip and only be shown the first 4-5 flights of the day when you’re actually have no need to fly until the evening. And it’s not helped by BA website not accepting direct follow through from google flights.

3. Booking via AA does not affect the number of TPs. There is a reduction in the number of avios earned though for the flight.

I know BA said a few years ago they were looking at a totally new IT system but given the experiences of VA (note I’m usign the proper airline code designation!) and AC when they changed systems it’s not something to rush into.mIn the meantime it’s all add ons to add ons to some 1960s and 70s GDS coding that really shouldn’t be touched.

Richie 976 posts

Around 60 – 90 mins.
    Ideally I look for at a 2-3hr connection at LHR. I know 1hr is supposed to be recommended minimum, but the number of times I have arrived on a flight at T5 and had to wait on the tarmac for the jetty operator to come off their tea break!! And yes I do like to have a bit of time to browse the whisky shop 🙂

That is a bit short for me, something over 100mins is my preference.

Andrew. 480 posts

[Rant ON]
    I have been trying to book a return trip from EDI to EWR in BA’s recent premium seat sale.

If it’s travelling to EWR that’s important, wouldn’t it have been easier just to fly United direct to EWR from EDI?

Ok, they might not be having a premium sale, but you are saving yourself at least 4 hours journey time each way. Also EDI international arrivals tends to be very quick. Last (Delta) trip from the USA we timed it as 16 minutes from door opening to boarding the tram.

weehaggis 6 posts

Ok, they might not be having a premium sale, but you are saving yourself at least 4 hours journey time each way. Also EDI international arrivals tends to be very quick. Last (Delta) trip from the USA we timed it as 16 minutes from door opening to boarding the tram.

Yes I did look at UA as the direct flight is attractive but their Biz product is often more expensive and in this case would have cost another £5K!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.