Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Will Amex ever bring the ICC back for new applicants?

• Skywalker 700 posts

Afternoon, a couple of years ago, I applied and was accepted for the basic USD ICC card to see if it was any good to me.

Very shortly after I decided I liked it, Amex decided to pull the card for new applicants.

In its current state, there is nothing I can really do to my account as a basic ICC holder – I can’t even add an additional account holder for example, and there is nothing I can do to upgrade it either as an existing customer.

I don’t want to cancel it, just in case Amex does do something about reinstating the ICC

Are there any developments on this front?

It’s been a while!

Luca M 391 posts

The ICC is still operating for UK resident introduced by their private banks.

I regret not getting the basic EUR and USD card when I had the chance as the amount of spend I do in these two currencies would have at least resulted in some rewards (yes I know effectively lower earning rate than the GBP cards, but better than nothing).

I am guessing, you can still use the card you have and if so, I would not cancel it for sure.

Skywalker 700 posts

Thanks Luca M –

The very basic card (the blue card) does not earn points, it’s just spend and repay – this is the card that I have.

I assume when you say basic EUR and USD cards, you mean the green Amex?

Yes you are right – I can still use the card, so it is functional, and at least the positive is that it isn’t sitting here costing me a small fortune and not being able to do anything with it.

Luca M 391 posts

Sorry, I was not aware there was a blue version of the ICC.. when I looked at it there was only the green version to start with, at £60pa fee per currency card (was looking into both USD and EUR).

Indeed it is a shame that you cannot at least upgrade to the green version.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.