Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help Wizzair Mykonos flight – route removed

• yonasl 954 posts

My gf recently booked a flight LTN-Mykonos with Wizzair. The route does not seem to exist anymore (not on their website, google flights, etc.) But they have not received an email or indication whatsoever of any change or cancellation. I have told her not to accept any refund and instead ask for alternative flights (Easyjet on the same dates is 5x the price they paid now). What are the chances Wizzair accepts? I do not think a group of 10 girls will have the energy to apply to MCOL or similar (separately!)

SamG 1,642 posts

Per SeanM1997 on Twitter they’ve “withdrawn”

London (LTN/LGW) – Corfu, Mykonos, Santorini & Zakynthos

They may reappear and nothing can be done until officially cancelled

If it happens then quite a big withdrawal from the Greek market. I’m not too surprised, their fares outside peak were very low and some of their timings awful vs Easyjet BA etc. and the amount of EU261 they must have paid must have been eye watering as their performance was terrible

No personal experience but from what I’ve read no chance they’ll be proactive on rebooking to another carrier. Just remind your gf and friends not to take a refund from Wizzair if they want to be reimbursed for the Easyjet flight. Hopefully wouldn’t have to go as far as MCOL!

JDB 4,375 posts

Anecdotally, I think the prospect of Wizz rebooking on another airline is almost zero. They generally don’t seem to think the Regulations apply to them. I fear also that your gf will have real trouble getting reimbursed for any alternative flights she may book, so don’t count on it but be pleased if achieved.

Skywalker 699 posts

Their brand name and livery alone prevents me from booking them. Good luck.

PS: ” I do not think a group of 10 girls will have the energy to apply to MCOL or similar (separately!)”

Do not be mistaken – it just needs one to incite the others and the wrath of Hell and all its inhabitants will be unleashed on Wizzair 😉

blenz101 24 posts

They had a good season from Abu Dhabi to Mykonos. Shane they can’t make it work elsewhere.

Lady London 2,045 posts

You have 100% right to have Wizzair pay the costs of your rerouting. Even if it would now cost much much more.

Since you’ve only just booked, if the trip is definite and did not just depend on the tickets being cheap, now is the time to find alternate flights. I think I’d contact Wizzair asking them to confirm that your flight is still taking place (give ‘our flight number nnnn from xxx to yyyy on [date] as what you’re asking about, not the booking reference, and mention ‘our group of 10 travelling’ as you are worried as you’ve just seen their tweet and ask them to confirm your flight is still running.

Anecdotally as @JDB saya Wizz will just try to walk away and leave you. If you follow MCOL procedure on here in many threads, I can see no reason they won’t end up having to reimburse your costs of alternative flights. But to secure a clean path it’s better to try to first wheedle a confirmatiob that ypur flight isn’t running, as a separate thing, out of them, then make sure to formally ask them to provide alternate flights and get their refusal, before you book uncancellable reservations elsewhere.

If you arw in a position to book cancellable flights anyway now, then as Wizz is likely to ignore you or at least delay an answer, ypu could always say later as prices were moving up fast, you booked alternative cancelabke options to mitigate any reroute cost whilst of course hoping Wizz would say your flight waa indeed still running when ypu asked them to confirm, after you saw the tweet.

For 10 of ypu surely at least one of you is prepared to swot up in the Flight Delays and Cancellations section here on HfP and take the necessary steps?

yonasl 954 posts

Thank you all for the replies. @Skywalker +1 for making me laugh so hard in the office. @LadyLondon I doubt there is willingness in the group to fight 10 separate tickets (plus some people have still to join so it is just better to accept it is not going to happen and select a new destination). I told my gf to hold to her ticket and we will try to see what Wizzair will offer as a test case for future occasions.

Notice the route has been dropped from Wizzair’s app and multiple systems like FlightRadar, Google Flights, etc. and yet the passengers that hold tickets have not heard anything yet.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.