Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Zurich on New Years Day

• ns 41 posts

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might be open/good to do in Zurich on New Years Day (which happens to be a Sunday). We’ll have a 6/7hr stopover and were hoping to get out of the airport. I understand that most things are closed on Sundays and I assume that will doubly be the case for New Years Day.

We’ve never been to Zurich before so any and all ideas would be welcome and appreciated!

davefl 1,218 posts

I would recommend a visit to the two main churches which are across the street from each other if you like that kind of thing

Grossmünster and Fraumünster both have amazing stained glass windows and are normally open 12.30-5pm on a Sunday and 12-6 respectively and you can climb the tower for a great view. Otherwise if you wrap up warm maybe a canal or lake cruise.

ns 41 posts

Thank you davefl!

davefl 1,218 posts

You’re welcome.

Keep an eye on those for NYD closures.

Lots of shops and food court at Zurich Airport, (hellishly expensive), train into town takes about 20 mins. Station is massive and covered with scaffolding so make sure you exit the correct entrance by the river. Probably around 20 mins walk to the churches and then 5 mins to the head of the lake where the boats all go from.

Not a huge amount to see in Zurich, I struggled to fill a Sunday and Monday.

I found the reitberg interesting but no idea if it’ll be open that day https://rietberg.ch/en/information

Supergers49 225 posts

To be honest a walk around Zurich city centre, view the lake, take in the two churches and get a spot of lunch, is probably all you’ll be able to fit in, given its NYD.

elguiri 216 posts

Chocolate Museum? Not sure if open, but they are very popular…

ns 41 posts

Thanks to everyone for their views on this!

John 1,000 posts

Take the S10 train to Uetliberg

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.