The earnings rate on the old bmi credit cards has been secretly increased!

Yes, strange but true!

According to this Flyertalk thread, the earning rate on the bmi credit cards, issued by MBNA, has been increased!  This is despite the fact that a) that you can no longer apply for these cards and b) no-one has been officially notified of this increase.

My own card statement is not triggered for another couple of days, so I don’t have personal proof of this yet.  However, based on the FT thread:

The bmi American Express card rate is increased from 1.5 miles per £1 to 2 miles per £1

The bmi Visa card rate is increased from 0.75 miles per £1 to 1 mile per £1

The (very old) bmi £60 Platinum MasterCard, which I still have, is increased from an already-crazy 2 miles per £1 to 2.5 miles per £1

The (very old) bmi MasterCard is increased from 1.5 miles per £1 to 2 miles per £1

There are no data points yet on the bmi ‘Plus’ cards, but presumably similar increases have been applied and they will be earning 2.5 miles on the Amex and 1 or 1.5 miles

bmi credit cards

Why is this happening?  Does MBNA have a massive pile of pre-bought Diamond Club miles they want to use up before BA terminates their contract?  Have customers started to drift away now that Diamond Club is effectively closed and miles can only be transferred to Avios?  Have some people started using the BA American Express cards instead and MBNA wants to woo them back?

We don’t know.  But with earnings rates like this, you’d be crazy to use any other card in your wallet at the moment.

(PS.  None of these cards are available to new applicants, before anyone asks!)

(To see our complete list of all current credit card bonuses, click here to visit our ‘Credit Cards Update’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)

Credit Card Reviews 2013 (11): Marriott Rewards MasterCard
"Where should I credit Star Alliance flights now that BMI has gone?"

Comments

1. Grandmaster says:

Wow, that’s excellent news. I own this credit card after you recommended it to me on Flyertalk for a £6k spend from a merchant who didn’t take Amex. It’s mostly been dormant since then, but I’ll make more of an effort to remember the PIN from now on!

So I guess I should also be moving across spend from the BA Amex Platinum across to this one? Thinking about it though, I think my next Amex membership year is about to commence…

2. Koshka says:

I was having difficulty making any sense of my most recent statement which had 470 miles on a spend of £144. I think all the Foursquare credits confused the issue. Having tried again I think that the February spends earnt 1.5 miles per pound and the March ones earnt 2.0 miles per pound. No miles were deducted even after the Foursquare credits were applied. I have the standard MBNA BMI Amex/Visa.

3. Barry Lynch says:

Just got my April statement.It’s giving 2.5 Avios per £1 of Amex spend and 1.25 Avios per £1 of Visa spend for my ‘Plus’ card.
    Thanks very much Raffles for putting me on to this before it closed to new applicants.

• 1.25 Avios per £ just moves the Visa ahead the old Tesco Mastercard (also no longer avilable to new applicants – sorry) at 1CC/£2 = 1.2 Avios per £.
      Ofcourse Tesco clubcard may have a conversion bonus, and you have a choice where to convert….

Really wish someone would say officially these new rates have ‘stuck’, or a ‘good for’ period.

4. Dannyrado says:

Any reports on what the stand alone BMI mastercard is earning? The one I’m referring to was free, and earned 1 point per pound.

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

I’m fairly certain that my bmi Mastercard used to earn 1 mile per £1, but that had/has a £60 yearly fee. My statement is due on the 10th, so I’ll let you know.

• dannyrado says:

The answer to my own question is 1.25 avios per pound. I got my statement today. My card is free. There were a few different stand alone BMI mastercards, mine was one of the last.

5. Flashware says:

Will be interesting to see what it posts as. Had quite a large spend on Visa this month (gotta love how building/home improvement related companies tend not to take AMEX….), so hopefully ended up with 1:1 on it!

6. Robert says:

Just checked and I have indeed been awarded 2 points per £ from March on my BMI Mastercard.
    Was getting 1.5 points per £ up to February.

7. Dammit, I wish I could have applied for these, but with 6 credit searches in 6 months at the time I couldn’t risk another one and probably would have been declined.

8. Same here, 2.5 miles per £ on my very old £60/year BMI Platinum Mastercard. Excellent stuff!

• … and 2/£ on my zero fee MC for THIS Roger! 😀

[not entirely serious] We have two posters using the same name. I hesitate to suggest registration for the forum, so I’ll think about using a different name. Slightly reluctant as it is my username on FT. Perhaps ‘Real Roger’? 😉 [/not entirely serious]

• RogerJ says:

I’m happy to become RogerJ which also matches my FT username. Should have done that in the first place!

• What a gentleman! Thank you. :)

It would only have been an issue if we had wildly diverging opinions on something. I think that as we probably have similar interests, this would have been unlikely. Nice gesture!

9. I only received 1.5 miles per £ on my March statement, but that was mostly February spend so perhaps as mentioned above the 2 miles per £ kicked in on 1 March.

10. 2 per pound for my old zero fee bmi Mastercard. Need to hit 241 on BAPP so can’t direct everything this way but now an even better option for non-AMEX merchants (Grrrrr B&Q) and once I’ve hit the 10K on BAPP

• gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

B&Q gift cards available at Tesco are purchasable with an Amex.
      Plus remember all of the usual vouchers/savings etc. to be had at Jack Cohen’s corner shop.

• Don’t forget you can also get 150 bonus clubcard points if you purchase £50 worth of non-tesco giftcards from Tesco.

A Shell near me sells B&Q giftcards so I’ll be going there at the weekend for my last Four Square Shell purchase to get some more

11. I checked my BMI Plus statement after seeing the FT thread, and came back with some strange results….. my Visa was giving me 1.24 Avios per £ and the Amex 2.33 per £.

I will admit I worked it out in my head, and was very tired at the time – Will paste into Excel later to get an exact figure.

• The change seems to be 1 March, so if your statement straddles two months that may explain the odd numbers.

12. andy21 says:

The stealth offer gets better – on my April statement there is, in addition to the 2 miles per £1 spent, a further ‘bonus miles’ amount showing which is equivalent to twice the value of my spend on ba.com during the period. So I got 4 miles per £1 for spending with BA – what a good offer, if only we knew in advance and how long it was going on for!

• Strange because I didn’t get it. I just got a straightforward 2 per £.

However mine is the very old fee free Mastercard

13. I was sent a comprehensive online survey to complete about the BMI Amex/Visa combo. From the questions asked data is certainly being compiled regarding customers’ attitudes, spending patterns etc. I can’t see BA wanting a redundant brand earning Avois – it’s a matter of time that an offer drops on the mat for a BA branded card.

14. Do I read correctly that you get extra miles for spending on Ba.com with a BMI MasterCard? I now seem to get 2 miles per £ for everyday spend which is great, but would I get 4 miles per £ spend on Ba.com?