Earn up to 50,000 miles with two transatlantic BA or AA flights this Summer

There are a very confusing number of promotions currently available for anyone planning on flying across the Atlantic on a oneworld airline, including British Airways.

The crux of the problem is this – some airlines do not want to throw miles at flyers who would achieve the bonus anyway.  If British Airways had decided to run this offer and make it open to everyone, it would have been very straightforward.  As it is, regular transatlantic flyers need to have a think.

Let’s summarise the four promotions you could sign up for:

British Airwaysearn double Avios when you fly two long-haul return flights on BA or American Airlines by 31st July (click for details).  This offer is targetted, despite the promotional website saying it is open to all.

Iberia – earn up to 50,000 Avios with two transatlantic return flights on BA, American, Iberia, OpenSkies or Finnair before 31st July.  You earn 25,000 Avios in Iberia Plus for a First or Business Class flight, 15,000 for Premium Economy or flexible Economy and 2,000 for discounted Economy.  This offer is targetted and you must have been emailed by Iberia directly in order to register.

American Airlines – identical to the Iberia offer but this is NOT targetted.  Anyone can register via this page.  However, tickets must have been purchased after 9th May.

Finnair – identical to the Iberia offer but, again, NOT targetted.  Anyone can register via this link.  Unlike AA, there is NO requirement to have booked before 9th May.

BA AA Finnair IB

How can you decide which offer to register for?

If you are flying across the Atlantic before 31st July, here is a rough decision tree for you.  I assume that you would take Avios given the choice.

Do you need tier points from your flight to qualify for British Airways status?  If so, forget about these promotions and credit the flight to British Airways Executive Club as usual.  Sign up for the BA ‘double Avios’ promotion if you were targetted.

If not …. were you targetted for the Iberia offer?  (If you didn’t receive an email, log in at iberia.com and see if it pops up on the promotions page.)  Crediting your flight to Iberia means that you can move the Avios across the British Airways using ‘Combine My Avios’.

If not …. you need to choose between the AA offer and the Finnair offer.

Reasons for Finnair – no restriction on buying ticket after 9th May, can top up miles via American Express Membership Rewards transfers, can move the points to Le Club Accor Hotels or IHG Rewards Club – see the Finnair website here and here

Reasons for AA – no fuel surcharges when redeeming on most airlines (BA and Iberia excluded), you can redeem on Etihad, you can top up your miles via the UK AA credit card

It is, unfortunately, all more complicated than should be necessary.  Hopefully this article can help you decide where to credit any transatlantic travel over the next 10 weeks.

Bits: Accor UK hotel deals for the Bank Holiday, those AwardWallet upgrade codes
How did little known Nadler get two of the top 12 London hotels on TripAdvisor?

1. Maciek says:

There are reports on FlyerTalk indicating that despite the requirement of booking after 9th May for the AA offer, bonus miles get credited even if flights were booked months ago.

• I can confirm that AA bonus miles get credited even if flight was booked before 9th May.

• where2travel says:

Excellent news, I’m hoping my booking for this weekend made in last November will be OK!

2. OT – but there isn’t a bits article today – there is a Starbucks offer on AMEX now. Good for those who like their daily dose of earthy liquid that Starbucks like to sell as ‘coffee’…Valid on card top-ups, too.

• Amex just sent me a press release on this, so excited are they!

• It says “in store top up” for their card – but I’m fairly sure “Starbucks” appeared on my credit card statement when I topped up several months ago… can anyone that uses it more regularly confirm? – If so will top up £15 which should last a year or so…

• The offer is £1 back per £3 spent, up to a maximum of £5 back (therefore £15 spend)…

Sorry I didn’t specify that I topped up through the app rather than in a store… if they cannot distinguish between instore/app purchase then topping up via the app would be easier for me

3. I have flight booked through BA and was targeted by Iberia offer. Is it possible to move my flight to Iberia?

• Yes, just change the frequent flyer number at check in – or do it now via the Qatar Manage My Booking site (yes, I know, sounds odd but it works). BA won’t let you change the FF number online once one is in.

4. So what do we get if we have only one j flight booked to NYC. Will we get half those bonus points or do we have to complete two returns to get any decent return? Very confusing. ..

5. Albert says:

I really don’t get it. I have upcoming trips to Singapore and to Miami to be booked within the next 45 days and they won’t target me – because I have too many tier points (>6000)? I am more than happy to visit Doha and Madrid again. Surely, BA would want to capture the business themselves?

6. Metropole says:

Does anyone understand how the Iberia offer works? I can’t see how many avois you actually earn for each flight.

7. Michael Rosen says:

Hi slight change of topic, but does anyone know if my wife can take out a new ba Amex card (to get the 10k bonus offer and I can get the 4k referral bonus) if she is currently a supplementary card holder on my account.

Would I need to cancel her card?
    I am very frustrated at all those free miles going begging!

• Being an existing supp doesn’t count so you can happily refer for the card in her own right :)

8. Alex W says:

There is the virgin offer too.

9. I bought a ticket on May 15th on BA website on BA metal, at the time of the booking I wasn’t registered for this promotion(indeed BA hadn’t launched it yet) SInce then i registered on iberia and changed the loyalty to iberia on this booking. do you think i would be credited avios from iberia?