Heading to New York? I’ve found an IHG Rewards Club bargain

There will be a blitz of New York coverage on Head for Points over the next two months.  Both Anika and myself will be out there on separate trips, and we hope to cover Virgin’s Boeing 787 Upper Class product, La Compagnie and airberlin business class.  If seats open up, I will try to fit in American Airlines as well.

In terms of hotels, there will definitely be coverage of the newly refurbished InterContinental Barclay and hopefully a couple of others as well.  It’s a tough job but ….

Whilst looking at hotel options over the weekend, I came across something which looks pretty attractive.  Over the last decade, much of the creative energy in New York has moved across the river to Brooklyn.

You might argue that when Holiday Inn moves in, the real action has probably moved on.  However, I liked the look of the brand new Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown.

Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown

What I especially liked is that the hotel is currently just 25,000 IHG Rewards Club points when booked as a redemption.

The hotel has just opened, with the pool and spa ready from 31st May.  The hotel looks substantially better than your average Holiday Inn with designer Andre Escobar giving it an aggressively modern feel.  There are no official pictures on the hotel website site so I have reproduced the artists impressions.

Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown 2

In terms of location it is “a 2-minute walk from the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets subway station, this contemporary hotel in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Boerum Hill is a 10-minute walk from the Barclays Center arena.”  Nevins Street station also appears to be very close.

You can book for any point in the next year at 25,000 points per night.  I expect this to jump up to 35,000 – 40,000 points per night soon.  The existing Hotel Indigo in Brooklyn is 40,000 points whilst the Holiday Inn Express is 35,000 points.

If you are unsure of your exact stay dates, remember to book each night separately.  If you try to shorten a stay you have already booked, IHG will reprice the whole stay at the current points price which may be higher.  I fell foul of this once.

The website for Holiday Inn Brooklyn Downtown is here.

It is also worth keeping an eye on the new EVEN Hotel opening in Brooklyn in July.  This is IHGs new ‘wellness’ chain.  I haven’t visited one yet so I don’t have a feel for how they work or what is on offer but it is an interesting concept.  Reward nights have not yet been loaded into the system but may well offer a discount when they first become available.

Big 40% bonus lets you buy Avios points via Iberia for as low as 1.0p each
Bits: Accor UK hotel deals for the Bank Holiday, those AwardWallet upgrade codes

1. Genghis says:

Brooklyn has a certain buzz about it and Brooklyn Heights makes for a pleasant walk but IMO if you’re going to NYC (for the first time at least), stay in the centre of Manhattan where most of the action really is.

• +1

• I agree 100%. I’ve been to NYC 3 times now, having stayed at UWS once and midtown twice. Never ventured much to Brooklyn so for me this would be perfect for next year. Thanks for the heads up Rob!

• I normally go to NY for the theatre so want to be in Manhattan, but as it happens Oscar Isaac is doing Hamlet in brooklyn next year. Although by that time I’m sure the price will have gone up considerably!

2. where2travel says:

I stayed here earlier this month on an award booking. It was only for one night (the last night of our stay before heading home) but I would really recommend it for someone that wants to explore a bit of Brooklyn and also be slightly more convenient to JFK (we just took the subway which was direct from the stop mentioned above, which is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel).

I’ve been to NYC lots of times and I agree with the posts above that for first timers, Manhattan is the place to stay but staying somewhere like this is a great opportunity to explore other boroughs. It’s not in the most trendy part of Brooklyn these days but there is plenty to do within walking distance, including bars and restaurants and there are plenty of transport options to get around easily too.

I was a bit nervous beforehand because the hotel was a Holiday Inn (I’ve not stayed in one for ages) but it was significantly better than any Holiday Inn I’ve ever seen. If I didn’t know, I’d never have guessed that it was a Holiday Inn brand. The staff were great (slightly amused to get some trail mix and a bottle of water as the gift for being Spire), the room was very nice and well appointed and I was glad to have stayed here for the points.

• Holiday Inn in the USA is definitely a bit different to what we’re used to elsewhere! I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express San Francisco and apart from the breakfast layout it was more like a boutique hotel!

• HiDeHi says:

I maintain that Holiday Inn Express in the US are of a substantially higher quality than in Europe.

• I’ve only stayed at two so far but would definitely agree with that assessment so far!

• Lady London says:

Yes. Other than the breakfast which remains a typical mid-range US starch-fest and synthetics-fest.

3. Our_Kid says:

Thanks for the tip off for Even Brooklyn Rob; booked for August – nice weekend in NYC here we come!

4. Nick M says:

OT – but tenuous link…

How flexible is the booking process for Virgin rewards?

We will be booking for 2 adults and a child, can the points be taken from 2x accounts and also a cash fare but then combined into one booking?

I will be closing my MR account and whilst I’d intend to use some towards a Virgin redemption, we don’t have any plans for the next year or so… therefore I don’t want to lock them all away as more likely to use them towards RFS. By the time we book my wife should have sufficient MR built up for her redemption, but doubt we’ll have enough for our daughter too

5. I’m on the 3rd day of a 5-day stay at the Even Hotel Times Square right now, so if there’s anything you’re curious about, let me know.

6. Which of the VAA JFK routes uses the 787? Hoping to book and would like to try the new aircraft if poss…

• …by route I mean flight number, as there are several per day… :)

• Scallder says:

Bruce – if you search for flights on your desired days, in the information box for each flight there’s an option to click on called ‘flight info’ – click that and it shows the aircraft