TopCashback stopping Tesco Clubcard (and on to Avios) as a payout option

One of the easiest ways of earning Avios points or Virgin Flying Club miles is via cashback site TopCashback.

TopCashback allows you to take up to £50 of cashback from your day-to-day online shopping and convert it into 5,000 Tesco Clubcard points.  This means that it will turn into 12,000 Avios points – you are basically ‘buying’ Avios points for just 0.4p each!  This is repeatable every year.

This is a great deal and was a fairly easy 12,000 Avios points per year for Head for Points readers.   If you had a British Airways household account you could do even better.

Last night, TopCashback announced that Tesco is withdrawing on 31st July.  TopCashback transfers to Tesco will be ending on that date.

TopCashback 350

This move appears to be linked to the broader restructuring of the Clubcard scheme which is currently underway.  We have already seen the ending of Clubcard Boost ‘double up’ in store (the current promotion will be the last).  It has also been reported that Clubcard points will soon be instantly redeemable – like Nectar or Boots Advantage points – by swiping your card at checkout.

Interestingly, TCB said that 33% of users who chose Clubcard converted their points into Avios.  30% used them for restaurant vouchers and 20% for family day out vouchers.

There isn’t much more to be said, except that you should ensure that you do what you can to ensure your Clubcard money is paid out before 31st July.

You will still be able to convert TopCashback money directly into Avios points.  This is an acceptable deal – you get 1.05 Avios points for every 1p of TopCashback money you convert – but nowhere near as generous as routing your points via Tesco Clubcard.

If you used TCB to earn Virgin miles then there is no alternative option.

If you want to sign up for TopCashback and try to earn some cashback very quickly, my refer a friend link is here.  You are reliant on the merchant paying TCB before 31st July, however, so there is no guarantee the money will arrive in time.

This move could also be problematic for TCB itself.  It is generally seen as having poorer customer service than Quidco, but people put up with it because of the Tesco conversion option.

With that gone, TCB loses some appeal. Remember, however, that you can still buy Avios via TCB with zero effort for a touch under 1p and that is not a bad deal at all.

BACK FOR 3 DAYS: 100% bonus when you buy IHG Rewards Club points
Bits: My Flights app forced to close, £5 UberPOOL trips, Avios hotel deals

Comments

1. This is most frustrating, as my next 12 month cycle begins on 1st August. I’ll miss out on converting another £50 into Avios by one day 🙁

2. Olly Loosemore says:

I’ve only recently started doing this thanks to Your site 🙁

3. Andrew Stock says:

How long will Tesco keep the 2.4 avios per clubcard point rate?

• James67 says:

I’m guessing it will be devalued or eliminated within a year along with most of clubcard scheme. I can see no benefit to tesco maintining the current scheme, I doubt it is keeping customers in tesco at expense of aldi and lidl, and clubcard seems to me at least to be very expenive to run in comparison to Sainsburys and Morrisons loyalty schemes. Consequently I suspect it us facing the chop, just remins to be seen whether tesco will do this gradually or take a bigger risk by doing it all at one go.

• we don’t have an aldi or lidl, where we live, but even if we did I wouldn’t shop there.
        Since I really got into the points collecting game I’ve only ever bought shopping from tesco, albeit that’s helped by there only bring a tesco and co-op near where we live so it’s not a difficult choice.
        The tesco brand match is very handy and I used it last week to pick up some good wines plus some Tattinger at 16.75 in their wine and champagne promotion.

• James67 says:

Personally I’ve always tended to shop at my nearest supermarket regardless of brand. Never considered the cc points on day to day spend a big attraction, I focussed more on the big cc promotions and loopholes. The facts soeak for themselves though, all four main supermarkets have been losing customers bug time to the discounters.

4. Oyster says:

I’m more worried by Clubcard becoming instantly redeemable. I presume this means my Clubcard has now become an £800 pile of cash attached to my car keys?

• Nectar has a (modest) security element by only letting you redeem at a store where you have made a purchase in the last 6 months. All that means, though, is that anyone who nicks your key fob has to buy a newspaper, wait 24 hours and then clear you out.

• Michael says:

I’m glad. I missed the transfer for this current statement by a day or two and now need to wait months to transfer to BA points.

5. Steve R says:

Luckily my wife’s & mine are eligible to transfer to CC (again) at the end of this month, so that’s £100 on its way then onto Virgin.
    Hopefully we might gat some nice promotions from Tesco bank. Just got my 4000 points from the home insurance

6. Very concerned this is the start of Clubcard devaluation and payouts to Virgin/BA may be next. Went to concert my CC vouchers to Avios.com but, unlike when converting to BA or Virgin I can’t see anywhere to put my account number, any ideas how they know where to send it?

• They just match up your info – I converted £50 last week and it posted into my Avios account a couple of days later.

7. This does worry me, long-term, as if Avios become harder to collect via clubcard I will struggle to build up enough to fly business class again. I don’t travel for work, and with only c. £7k-£8k credit card spend a year I simply can’t build up that many from sign-up bonuses and daily spend.

• Get a Lloyds Avios dual pack. 7k spend will let you fly BA’s (admittedly premium economy-like) Business for the price of Premium Economy.

The ongoing QR C sales make even that redemption route look poor value though… Once you fly in their business pod (787, a350, a380) it would make BA C feel like taking the bus…

• That was my long term plan – to get the Lloyds card and build up enough Avios to do LHR-SYD return in club using the upgrade voucher (obviously depending on midnight booking a year in advance for the availability!). But I’d still need to save c.150k Avios for that to work, and I was relying to Clubcard points for a lot of that. Those QR ex-EU fares are looking better and better – unless I really luck out and win a million Avios!

8. I’m just checking the payout tab and the tesco clubcard option appears to have disappeared. is anybody else seeing it as an option?

9. ThinkSquare says:

The mandatory Hilton-to-Tesco stopped some time ago.

10. idrive says:

i see that now payouts to TESCO carry a £10 Admin fee!! it is obvious that they do not want that to happen! :-#@~@~@::@

11. I think the Curve article was over 4 pages 🙂

12. Does this mean you will no longer be able to convert your Clubcard points into Avios points, or will this still be available?

13. I notice some people on here are commenting that this could mean a devaluation of Clubcard points to Avios (i.e 2.4 rate will be cut). If this does happen, surely Tesco would have to announce first when they are intending on implementing the devaluation? They wouldn’t just impose it without notice – therefore no rush to convert before an announcement is made.

• I’m not worried about that. BA brings in a certain sort of customer to Tesco and they won’t want to lose them. If they did, Sainsbury would be happy to have them back (old timers will remember that Sainsbury’s used to be the BA partner).

• I remember redeeming my points for paper Airmiles vouchers!

• Sprout7 says:

In fact I came across quite a stash of paper vouchers the other day – any idea if I can get them credited to my account somehow?

• ISTR they didn’t have expiry dates & can still be seen on Ebay

• I think paper airmiles had to be redeemed by the end of November 2011? They were exchanged 1:10 with Avios when the scheme was relaunched

14. I had two Hilton bookings tracked at a lower rate than they should have (Winter Sale rates). I put in claims which kept getting thrown back seemingly automatically because they had tracked, but it seemed to be ignoring that they were at the wrong rate. Someone had to manually fix them. Both are Waiting for Merchant in the claim section although also as confirmed. One is almost at the right rate, but the other isn’t

I have one other pending (haven’t stayed yet).

15. 2bad4ya says:

i donated a tenner to charity to get my payable amount low enough to get my tesco clubcard fill for the year – an acceptable write off 🙂