How to transfer Iberia Avios points to British Airways Avios points

I have covered a few Iberia Plus promotions on Head for Points recently.  This has led to a few emails asking exactly how you can transfer Avios points from Iberia Plus to British Airways Executive Club.

This article will act as a reference post and I can direct future queries to it!

The important thing to remember is that there is the ‘proper’ way to do this and there is the ‘fudge way when Iberia’s IT goes down the toilet’ way.  I will cover both here.

Here are a few things to remember before moving Avios points out of Iberia Plus:

Your Iberia Plus account must be 90 days old before you can move Avios points out of it

If you want to transfer INTO Iberia Plus, your Iberia account must also have earned at least 1 Avios point.  The easiest way is to do a transfer from American Express Membership Rewards or credit a flight, car rental or hotel stay.

You can transfer your points back and forth, as many times as you like, for free

Transfers are instantaneous

For the transfer process to work, you should aim to have the name, email address and date of birth identical across your Iberia and British Airways accounts

Moving Avios from Iberia Plus to BA British Airways

There are two ways to do the transfer.  You will often find that doing it from fails for technical reasons no-one can understand.  You may have more success doing it from Iberia Plus.  If that fails, there is also a Plan C!

Go to and log-in via the top right of the screen.  You will be taken to the Executive Club home page.

Click on ‘Combine My Avios’ in the left hand margin.

However, as I mentioned above, this often fails to work when you try to move Avios points out of Iberia.  This forces you to plan B:

This is the one that proves tricky because it is hidden away!

Go to and log-in by hovering over the ‘Iberia Plus’ box in the top right of the screen

Hover over ‘Iberia Plus’ again in the top-right corner and select ‘My Avios’ under the ‘My Profile’ menu

From the ‘My Avios’ page, click on ‘Buying or transferring Avios’

At the bottom of that page, headed ‘Buy, give away or transfer Avios’, you will see the line “Don’t forget you can combine your Avios with those of other customer loyalty programmes”.  Click this text.

(Important:  if your Iberia account has not been open for 90 days and has not earned at least 1 Avios point, you will NOT see this line of text because you are not yet able to transfer Avios.  Instead, you will see this:

There is a blank space under the ‘Transfer’ box where the ‘combine’ link should be.)

You will now be on the ‘Combine My Avios’ page.  Follow the instructions to send your points to or British Airways Executive Club.

And if that still fails to work:

For reasons unknown, and will often throw up error messages when you try to transfer between the programmes.

However, using as an intermediary almost always works perfectly.

(Unless your account is a household account. Then you are stuffed!)

If you don’t have an account you will need to create one.  Then, from inside using the ‘Combine My Avios’ option under ‘My Account’, do this:

Make a transfer from into

Make a transfer from to

This WILL work (most of the time!) even when other options fail.

Free Miles & More (Star Alliance) Silver status for oil, gas and energy sector employees
1,000 free Accor points for meeting planners - and big first event bonus

1. Peaceful Waters says:

Alas, if your account is a household account, this doesn’t work.

• Sandgrounder says:

Or for that matter.

• Gabriel says:

my bank account is a household account and the workaround does the trick

• Bank account? :-)

Yes, the route is a recognised solution for transferring between IB and members of a BA household account, which otherwise isn’t possible.

However as Peaceful Waters indicates if you have an household account you are stuck. Consequently for couples/families it is best to keep these separate and just stick to pooling avios through

By shunting miles into accounts as appropriate you can also control from whose accounts the avios come from for any BA household a/c redemption.

• It is very simple to split your HH a/c back into individual a/cs plus you can elect to keep 100% of the miles yourself

• this is interesting. It makes sense for my parents to join my BAEC household account as I do all of their bookings for them anyway, and currently living together. They currently have their avios sitting in an household account. So I guess the plan would be to split their household account; transfer their avios to their BAEC accounts; and then move their BAEC accounts in to my BAEC household account? If they move out of my house then I guess we can move their points from their BAEC accounts back to their accounts and re-instate their household account?

• Genghis says:

It does. BAEC household account is more of a joint venture rather than an entity in its own right.

• +1
          I transfer form Avios and Iberia into BA household account regularly. Sometimes the option is blocked out for one route i.e. Avios to BA, in which case go via Iberia. Don’t know if its an IT glitch or some sort of temp block.

2. Doodles says:

Iberia deducted my avios and then ‘lost’ them. This was in 2014 and I am still trying to get them back. Email, phone calls and Twitter all fail to do anything. Now they tell me to speak to BA who, of course, are not interested. If anyone has an email address for someone at IB, please share it.

3. I had all manner of difficulties getting some avios from Iberia to BA recently. I almost had a small meltdown trying to get them over since I bought them in their latest sale.

It took me a couple of hours to get the sites to play nicely. In the end I did go via, but even that hadn’t worked initially, with the BA insisting that it would only send avios to other programmes, not receive them.

No idea why it eventually worked. It’s a shocking process for something which should be simple!

4. Jessica says:

Alternatively you can just call BA. Give them both sets of details and they can do a transfer immediately.

5. Mikeact says:

Just to emphasise, all member details MUST be accurate and IDENTICAL on both sites, else Iberia will need a copy of your passport to prove that your wife is Linda and not Lin !

6. Christian says:

I’m still chasing BA after my transfer from BA to Avios failed but BA still deducted the points. I received an email showing what I needed to do, did that, then 3 days later get a generic/automated/didn’t bother to look at it response saying I need to be 18 years or older to combine my avios. Well done BA customer service at its very best!

7. Andrew Stock says:

Rob, therewill have aer Lingus aer club as well over the next few mobths

8. surfnode says:

OT: my iberia account has been locked due to wrong password entry and although I followed their process for unlocking it (signed scanned letter with ID info) I have heard nothing back. Does anyone know how to escalate that / get the account back? Telephone centre was also unhelpful.

9. Ok, thanks to the BA/Chase cc, I have now 75K avios and more pending. Am interested in being able to transfer them INTO Iberia — and thus 4 months ago, yes, opened up an Iberia account. Yet as you note, I need to be able now to show some activity — by earning one Avios point or more in this new Iberia account. Yet you also write:

“The easiest way is to do a transfer from American Express Membership Rewards or credit a flight, car rental or hotel stay”

Our original plan was to transfer from my wife’s Amex MR’s account to Iberia…. except it belatedly dawns on me this won’t work, as my Iberia account is in MY name. (nor her’s)

So onward to finding a plan B — are you saying we can credit a US card rental or hotel stay to Iberia/avios account? Any other suggestions? (any shopping portals? Buying wine and all those other partners look very euro specific)

10. thanks much for the great suggestion, Harry. I made it so far to the point of downloading Hailo, then using a gps fake program to set my location as Madrid. Alas, I seem to be stuck at the Hailo settings part. Nothing there to permit me to enter my Iberia Plus account id.

Wondering if the problem goes to being required to put my (US based) phone # into Hailo after downloading. (to get an activation code for that software) That phone # then is in my profile. But again, no place to insert Iberia #. Thoughts?