Bits: Qatar selling Heathrow – Dubai for £1001 in Business, £5 JustPark credit via Amex

News in brief:

Qatar Airways launches Dubai in business class for £1,001 from Heathrow

Last week I wrote about an exceptionally good Qatar Airways fare to Dubai – just £975 return.  This is bookable from Birmingham, Edinburgh and Manchester.

A Heathrow version has now appeared too, selling for just £1,001 return.

Details are on this special webpage here.  You must book by 21st July.  Seats are available until May 2017 although some dates are blacked out.  Seats definitely are bookable at this price though.

If you are sitting on an Avios redemption to Dubai you need to think about this.  Swapping your redemption – with over £500 of taxes – for a £1000 cash ticket is well worth considering.

Remember that Qatar Airways flights earn Avios and British Airways tier points.  You would get 400 tier points return for this routing as the Doha to Dubai leg books into First Class.  Here is my review of Qatar’s Boeing 787 business class seat and here is Qatar regional First Class which you get on the connection.  Here is my review of the excellent Heathrow lounge in Terminal 4.  You might even get to travel on the Qatar First Class bus!

There is a special Qatar 787 microsite here and an A380 microsite here if you want to learn more about the aircraft.

More details are on the Qatar website here.   Note that it is a big buggy and also seems to change pricing – for the same flights – depending on whether you search for DXB (the main airport) or DWC (the new, mainly cargo, airport).  British Airways has not price matched this deal unfortunately.

Qatar 350

£5 statement credit from Amex

You may remember that I wrote a piece on back in October.

The original premise was that, if you live near a station or shopping area, you could use the site to rent out your driveway for less than the cost of a standard parking space in the area.

The site has evolved and there are now large numbers of businesses – including a lot of hotels – who rent out their car parking spaces via JustPark.

Let’s imagine that I am looking for 7 days parking at Heathrow.  JustPark has a few private driveways to rent from £22.50 – an exceptional price for a week of parking.  These houses are within the Heathrow ‘free bus travel’ zone so you won’t have to pay to jump on a bus to the terminal.

There are also some hotels available.  Last time I priced it up, the Marriott on Bath Road was offering a week for £39.  The easyHotel would let you park outside for a week for £25.  The Premier Inn was charging £24.50.  The Thistle Hotel is also available on selected dates.  The Heathrow Thistle is a great choice for anyone who hates shuttle buses, as you can pay £5 per person to jump onto the pods in the official Heathrow car park behind the hotel.

If you haven’t tried JustPark yet (and it works at all UK airports, not just Heathrow), American Express is offering a £5 statement credit when you spend £10 before 31st August.  Not everyone will have got this deal, but if you log on to your Amex account you may find it under My Offers.  I had it on all three of my cards so it seems widely available.   Remember you need to click ‘Save To Card’ to activate the deal.

Bits: 100 bonus Heathrow Rewards points, immigration kiosks for BA at JFK, last day for 30% off SPG points
1,000 Avios when you sign up and take one ride with taxi app Hailo

1. My searches so far only show the non 787 or A380 flights. Looks like this is a way to use the excess capacity on the less glamorous aircraft on the LHR-DOH route.

This is a great price ex-LHR nonetheless.

2. Hi Raffles, what does sitting on a redemption to Dubai means pls?

• It means if you have booked a flight using your miles (avios). These flights still cost about £500 per person in taxes (in business class) but you can cancel them, get all your avios back and all the taxes less £35. These redemption flights don’t earn avois or tier points. Tier points help you move up the levels of the BA exec club so that you can select seats on a plane sooner, use airport lounges etc.

• It means that you have a Avios redemption booked to Dubai. Spending a large amount of Avios plus £500 may not be as valuable as spending £1000 and earning a good few Avios and Tier Points at the same time.

3. Also 15% statement credit on Holiday Extras

This doubles up with any other discount you can find, eg MSE cheap parking link gives up to 30% on Heathrow carparks.

= 45% off your parking (bodge math :) )

• OT: Having trouble referring a friend for an Amex gold card from my platinum account. There always used to be an option to select the card you want to refer on the refer-a-friend page.
      Instead it will only allow me to refer a friend to the platinum card.
      I remember someone mentioning a similar issue a while back-does anyone have a workaround or a link to a page that works?

• Brendan says:

When you click the link there is an option down the left side of the page to apply for the gold card instead. You can then copy that link to share if you wish.

• I had to call them up, they then sent me the link. Was surprised to find this restriction. You would imagine with all these defectors, they would be encouraging referrals or at least making it easy to refer.

• Cheers Harry! Great to see this back!

I’m looking at £100 for 15 days at T5 meet and greet – Seems decent enough!
      Only issue i’m facing is that the T5 Hilton (including 15 days parking is £150)!
      + sitting on £30 uber credit for the transfers.

Any other options people recommend for ease?

• Did you use the MSE link to HE first?

Snippet: for some reason DriveFly Meet & Greet has been de-listed from the HE site for T3 but it is available for T4 & T5. This is deliberate (I checked with HE.)

However, I noticed other sites are offering discounts on DriveFly for all 3 terminals @ the same price, you buy the parking then tell them which terminal you want along with your car details.

So I phoned DriveFly and asked what if I made a booking and later wanted to change terminals. They said just phone them and they would change the terminal free of charge. So you might as well just choose the cheapest DriveFly option.

• Yes HSE link is where I’ve been searching (the difference in price is crazy!).

On the amex enroll, when I click enroll now, it takes me into my amex account and the offers section where this off is not available, is that the same experience you are getting?

• I enrolled yesterday & when I log in on Connect it shows my card as having saved this offer. However, I don’t actually think you need to enrol to get the statement credit, just use (not gospel, though)

• I’m getting another 15% off with MSE link, 10 days T5 in August £87.55

• and now they’re offering 31% off = £71.07 – 10 days in August T5

then you’ll get another 15% off with Amex statement credit = £60.41

All working fine – I already received 4 success messages from Amex so you can use this offer multiple times – Thank you for taking advantage of our Holiday Extras offer with your Card (last five digits shown above). Credit should appear on your statement within 5 days from qualifying spend

• sorry noticed it was 15 days you wanted in T5, DriveFly Meet & Greet, which is £78.66 (31% off)

with 15% Amex credit = £66.86

• It doesnt let me enrol on the Amex connect website…

Not sure what im doing wrong! – It worked last time!

• Right for people also struggling to enrol, seems that its because when i first enrolled it was with a non AMEX, amex card (Virgin, MBNA).

I had to logout, then instead of logging back in, enter the card details and then press enroll again :)

Amex link was coming up as £149
              MSE link was coming up as £102

using MSE link, + 15% discount = £86.70

4. Can I get a free stopover in Doha with this fare?

5. ForeverEK says:

Unlucky…looks like the deal can only be had on the A330 or B777 flights.

Shall I just bite the bullet and book, or do you think QR might launch a similar deal for May/June 2017, but ex-EU? I would rather hop over to Europe to get on the Dreamliner in J rather than use the A330 or B777 out of LHR…

• Seems like very limited availability, I can’t find any dates after end of August where you can get the £1000 business flights. Has anyone seen dates after this available?

• Raffles says:

Had no trouble getting it in November yesterday. Try Birmingham if struggling – airport has a direct train from Euston.

• I’ve taken the 787 out of ARN recently and prices are ca £750-800. Pretty sure there are deals on other routes too.

• JacarandaSpa says:

I’ve got on the A380 lunchtime flight in Jan so def available. Only A330 back though

6. Note that the JustPark offer is valid TWICE per card…

7. Richmond says:

I can certainly recommend Premier Inn T5 for parking, just check bus schedule as it’s not very frequent or walk to Thistle across the street and pay for Pods.

I just booked parking at Marriott on Bath Road for 10 days paying £50. Half price of official airport parking. I don’t trust private drives near Heathrow. Read reviews to make sure no one wants your keys, that’s what happened to my friend. 10 cars squeezed in a small place and owner was moving them around.

• Michael says:

Yes the bus from the front of the Premier Inn to T5 isn’t very frequent (every 20 mins) but if you use the stop at the back (on the bypass) it’s every 8-12 direct to T5.

• Thanks for the “stop at back” tip, didn’t know about that, is there a cutthrough or have to walk around (have a tight connection thinking of booking). How do you pay per for pods if not parking, do they let you do that?

• Michael says:

If you go out the door of the PI, there’s a bus stop in front of you. Just to the right there’s a footpath leading to the bypass (no more than a minute’s walk), and there’s a bus stop just to your left. 350 to T5 leaves frequently from there, with no intermediate stops, completely free of charge. To get the pods you either need to walk into the car park (the long way round) or enter the hotel and pay at the desk-they won’t refuse your money. That said, the (free) buses are far cheaper and just as convenient!

8. Do you get access to the new Qatar first class lounge in Doha, as the Doha – Dubai route is on their regional ‘First’?

Did Doha four times last month and scored the first class bus once.

• Raffles says:

I thnk so but didn’t write it as I thought Qatar was downgrading F to J to avoid this – but it may not be happening.

• That was my thoughts too, in the last month I’ve spent 16 hours in the Al Mourjan lounge so fancy a change of scenery.

9. Looking to book this today for DXB. Couple questions if anyone can assist:

Fare rules:

After departure of first flight
    Changes*: Not applicable (See reissue conditions)Reissue: Allowed with restrictionsNew travel dates must be prior to: Friday, July 14, 2017Maximum Reissue penalty fee for entire ticket: 225.00 GBP

Are these fares re-bookable ie can the return flight be re-booked for a later date?
    How do I ensure tier points and Avios get posted to my BA account – this may be obvious as I confirm the reservation.

Many thanks.

10. Saved a massive £1.30 compared to Purple Parking by using JustPark at the Premier Inn, but should be a fair bit quicker at both ends and good to try something new!

• Did you price up DriveFly Meet & Greet using MSE link then add on 15% Amex statement credit? How did it compare?

• Don’t have the statement credit on card so didn’t try that one.

• How do you get MSE and amex discount? The price via holidayextra/amex website is higher than the MSE price, but I’m guessing if you pay via MSE link it won’t work even if have the offer saved to your card?

• first register your Amex card for the offer
            go through MSE link to Holiday Extras, choose your product and start the payment page
            copy page address
            paste into (new window, same browser)
            payment details should be the same as on the MSE link
            receive 15% statement credit

• OK yesterday I was getting 31% discount with DriveFly Meet & Greet FROM HE but today they were only offering 15% (through MSE link).

So I just opened a new browser in Chrome – initially same 15% – but I went away for an hour and reloaded and up popped the 31% saving :)

• AndyGWP says:

Last time you didn’t need to do this… just go to the Holiday Extras website via. MSE link, use your Amex, get statement credit

Not sure it will work that way this time, but I will happily be the guinea pig if someone wants to book me a flight somewhere 😉

11. OT – Just got my Supercard. Looks irritatingly similar to the Curve card! Much rathered the Beta white/yellow/portrait design.

12. Very off topic but my new supercard has arrived.

Very disappointed that you can’t link to PayPal now and more worryingly you can’t alter your pin!

This second one is potentially a security risk if you think someone saw your pin. I can’t see any way to turn off supercard now like the old version.

• Good to hear it’s arrived. Are others getting there’s too in any volume? I’m heading off to Sri Lanka on Saturday so hoping its here by Friday post at the latest

13. So looking at justpark, searched for gatwick in July and it’s coming out with pricing on the map for Long stay at £38 but when you click on it the next page pricing jumps up to £74! Anyone else see this? Are the prices on the map just all nonsense?

14. I can’t see why people are even bothering to consider JustPark for Heathrow. I made 4 different car park bookings this morning with the MSE discount & Amex statement credit – all 4 are significantly cheaper than parking on somebody’s driveway!

AND – I’ve got Meet & Greet both ends, ie I leave the car in the short stay terminal car park on departure – then collect it from the same car park on my return. All a 10 minute walk from Check in/ Passport Control with no delay or need to pay for a taxi/ Hoppa etc.

The Amex link is only for non-Amex Amex cards at the moment but should pop up for Amex cards anytime soon.

• oh and as Andy, you probably don’t even need to register your Amex card – just use link

• AndyGWP says:

Sorry, I should’ve clarified that I did register for this last time around.

What I meant was I didn’t have to bounce between part-booking via. the MSE link then completing the booking via. the Amex link :)

So it was:
        a) Register credit card with Amex connect
        b) Go via. MSE link
        c) Book parking
        d) Get rebate

• Richmond says:

I just checked HE link and I don’t see any official car park at Heathrow for my dates. I don’t do Purple Parking and never leave keys to any one. So JustPark is ideal alternarive, only hotel car parks, no private drives.

• You have to leave the keys with both PP & DriveFly Meet & Greet. The only regular one I’ve seen HE offer where you keep the keys is NCP Flightpath – which is one of the cheapest, btw.

NCP ‘keep your keys’ 15 days Heathrow £71.39 – with Amex credit £60.68

15. OT
    a little warning which will probably not help many people.
    I have booked a CW flight from Vancouver to LHR next June as part of a 241.
    I tried to change it to an F flight from Seattle on a different date. They were quite willing until they discovered that Vancouver and Seattle are in different distance bands so no can do! The only way is to cancel and rebook, but of course the outward flights are all taken.
    The distance is approximately 120 nm. Never mind; I shall have to move the Seattle flight to a later date and then fly back from Seattle.

• Never had an issue of doing that all on the call in a single go.

• Scallder says:

According to the BA reward flight calculator both destinations cost the same in terms of Avios so they must be in the same banding. Maybe call up and try a different agent – and if they still say it can’t be done put the phone down and call back to try someone else!

16. Just Park is very good value for short stays, I couldn’t find any parking for less than £36 when I check for one day and with just park it was only £6 for the day, it is of course worth checking and comparing prices each time.

• Agreed – even my links above can’t compare on a 2-3 day park, esp if you get £5 Amex credit.

I still wouldn’t leave my car on some hobo’s driveway, though :)

• Matthew says:

Nor would I, but a day’s parking for about a fiver at the Premier Inn T5 is not to be sniffed at.

I’m pretty pleased with 22 days parking in Oct at Purple Parking Long Stay Heathrow for £33 inc transfers.

• Yes I wouldn’t use a person on Just Park with a low feedback has to be 50+ positive where possible, worth noting that a lot of hotels will let you park direct without needing to stay at the hotel if Just Park doesn’t have much availability!

£33 inc transfers for 22 days in an insane price!

17. Where have the comments gone from the Tesco wine story?

18. Do you get access to the first lounger with the dubai flight then if it connects in domestic first?

19. JamesWag says:

With regard to Qatar and the lounges at Doha I am a bit confused as to which is ‘best’ if you can’t access Al Safwa.

As I think I might, maybe, perhaps understand it there are 4 (main) lounges available in Doha to QR passengers and OneWorld status holders (or am I waaay off the mark !)
    a) Al Safwa
    b) Al Mourjan
    c) DOHA First Premium Lounge
    d) DOHA Business Premium Lounge

Al Safwa being only available to QR passengers flying on a first class ticket – no exceptions.
    Al Mourjan being available to QR passengers flying in business class (and their guests if member is QR Privelege FFP Gold or Platinum status) – other OW Status is not accepted.
    DOHA First Premium Lounge (have I made this up ?! – I’ve heard of it somewhere) accessible by OW Emerald status holders & QR first class passengers (Perhaps holders of the top tier in other alliances ??????)
    DOHA Business Premium Lounge Accessible by OW Gold & Silver plus QR Business passengers.

Have I just made all of that up ??????

I’m not trying to tell anyone that these exist or that the entry criteria is correct, just trying to get to the bottom of it. Some info online contradicts other info (as is the case with EVERYTHING) online and want to know all of the lounges I’m permitted access to !

I’m a QR Plat (Emerald OW) at the moment and tend to fly business as opposed to first. Have used the Al Safwa and the Al Mourjan which are both very nice, just wondering what else is available for a change or at least a change of scenery on a long transit.

I am also taking my folks to Thailand in November all in business class and am wondering if there is an additional lounge we can get into as, especially if its better (or on a par) with Al Mourjan.

Cheers for any clarification you can give :-)

20. JamesWag says:

d) the Al Maha lounge (seems free for QR Platinum status holders and upto 2 guests)

Forgot this one.

• JamesWag says:

that’s ‘e)’ !!!!!

• JamesWag says:

Thanks to all those who helped.

• Sorry pal. No info. But having worked in Doha for 6 months, my inside information says don’t go to Doha in the first place, it’s one of the worst cities you’d ever want to be, apart from staying in a 5* hotel I suppose. Nothing to recommend it at all.