Extra £100 off BA Holidays as Brexit bites – plus short haul BA sale deals

The Brexit decision last Friday has had a disastrous toll on the travel industry.  It hasn’t fully filtered through into Stock Exchange announcements, although British Airways issued an immediate profits warning just in case and easyJet also warned a few days later.

However, I have spoken with various airline, rail and hotel executives this week as part of my usual stream of meetings.  The UK prognosis is, without exception, dire.  The hotel groups have a little leeway due to Wimbledon, Henley and the Farnborough air show but that is it.  Bookings elsewhere are virtually dead, and hotels are seeing substantial cancellations of corporate bookings, especially functions, for the Autumn.

The upside, of course, is that we can expect to see some good deals coming our way in the next few weeks.

First out of the traps is British Airways.  The current sale has been running for a couple of weeks.  I covered the good ‘Part Pay With Avios’ deals here, which let you get 1p per Avios point if you use your points to bring down the cost of a cash flight.

I also took an initial look at the BA Holidays deals here.

Yesterday, British Airways cut the price of its BA Holidays packages by up to £100 for bookings by 5th July.  Whilst not massive extra discounts, you should remember that these prices were already very competitive.  New York, for example, starts at £1,372 per person for Club World flights plus 3 nights in a four star hotel, based on two sharing.  That is a futher £35 down on where it was, even though the increase in the $ should have seen the price go up.

You can see what else is available on the BA Holidays pages of ba.com here.

BA Holidays

Good short haul sale deals – from £35 each way

When I originally covered the British Airways sale deals I didn’t mention short haul routes.  I should have because there are some good deals to be had.

The ba.com Low Fare Finder tool remains the best way to see what is available.

What is surprising is the number of destinations with one-way flights in Euro Traveller at £35 – £39 each way.  This is exceptionally cheap for British Airways, especially if you have lounge access via status.

£35 – £39 one way fares are available to Berlin, Basel, Dublin, Geneva, Inverness, Jersey, Krakow, Lyon, Menorca, Nice and Oslo.  Istanbul is astonishingly cheap at £45 each way on certain dates although the security issues there have obviously impacted demand.

If you are looking for cheap tier points, there are some good Club Europe opportunities too.  At £200 return or less you have:

• Alicante
  • Amsterdam
  • Barcelona
  • Bergen (from £160 return in Club Europe)
  • Berlin
  • Billund
  • Bordeaux (here is Anika’s ‘what to see in Bordeaux’ guide and our review of the new IC)
  • Brussels
  • Stuttgart
  • Turin
  • Valencia
  • Venice
  • Verona
  • Vienna

You can see the months these fares are available via the Low Fare Finder.

Remember that you can combine these cheap short-haul flights with the special ‘Part Pay With Avios’ offer.  If you take Bergen as an example – which is a lovely town to visit, far prettier than Oslo – you can get the £160 cheapest return Club Europe fare down to £95 each by redeeming 7,500 Avios.

Istanbul, at £300 return in Club Europe, would generate 160 tier points – but that is easily beaten by Malta which is £222 return for 160 tier points from September.  A full list of Club Europe routes giving 160 tier points is here.

StatusMatcher - what match can you get from your existing airline and hotel cards?
My review of Business Premier on the brand new Eurostar e320 trains (Part 1)

1. James A says:

There is always an upside somewhere, I suppose! Perhaps longer term BA and others will reverse some of the negative changes to FF schemes?

2. The only thing that would affect me more than the brexit decision is if oneworld decided to break up… Still waiting for ANY plus side of any of this brexit.

• What benefit would you expect to receive in one week?

• There will be no benefits.

In 10 years time nobody will admit to voting leave!

• pauldb says:

That’s a totally blinkered view. I voted Remain and have no qualms with immigration, but how can you argue the ability to have a uniform policy for EU and non-EU migration isn’t a positive, both socially and economically. Likewise we have the chance to negotiate trade deals where the EU has failed to execute because of minority interests – this will take time to play out but are you suggesting we’ll have absolutely zero success?

• I voted leave and have no qualms with immigration, why we cant agree to keep the current levels of immigration in exchange for access to the single market is beyond me. The exit was about economics and control not the actual legit immigration statistics. My real thoughts were this should not be a public vote and that is even more apparent by the fact PMs on both sides of the fence are jumping ship because their was neither a plan for in nor a plan for out. Its just one big market campaign and nothing substantial at all

• Did anyone ever explain the difference between being in the Single Market and WTO rules or an agreement like Canada has just signed. Obviously Remain camp is pushing the ‘Norwegian Model’ as that gives us no benefit.
              My fear is that if Remain people are in the negotiating team they will, consciously on unconsciously get us a bad deal so that they can say ‘I told you so’.

• pauldb says:

Canada hasn’t got a signed deal because the EU can’t agree on the final points, or on which EU body needs to ratify it. The most relevant distinction of the deal is that it doesn’t involve reciprocal free movement of labour. But it’s easy for the EU to accept that in the case of Canada (the immigration status quo); much harder to accept it in the case of Britain because then Netherlands, Sweden, etc will want the same and the core principles of the EU are at risk.
              Dave, we are where we are: I think the majority are unhappy with net migration at current levels, particularly the jump in EU net migration since 2004, so the govt can’t settle for that level and the EU can’t accept a ceiling either without massive reform.

• Without turning this into a political comment thread, I think it’s fair to say that a significant proportion of leave voters do have qualms about immigration whether rightly or wrongly (leaving isn’t going to affect the numbers of “visible foreigners” who are mostly not EEA people)

• Immigration has been shown to be good for an economy. The vast majority come to the country, work hard, pay taxes and then go home before they ever become a strain on the retirement and health service.

Those trade deals that will be negotiated will have to be very good to counteract whatever trade barriers may go in place with the EU which is both the closest and largest economy. Its a lot easier for a small or medium business in the UK to start trading with France (for example) instead of trying to get trading with India or China.

• thunderbirds says:

I voted leave and look forward to 14 billion reasons…

• In which case you appear to have been misled.

• Fraggle says:

Hmmm…lets just stick with the “1970’s Trade Federation” thinks Ben…”it’s safer, the alternative is Armageddon”
              Who has been misled you say????
              Remain stoked utter, utter fear. It backfired. Ooooops.

• If you listened to the independent experts (that Gove clearly has no time for) you got a more balanced view. The Leave campaign sadly downright lied, not least on immigration and NHS funding. Their key strategist from the USA based it on the campaigns there that use emotion rather than facts, successful as a campaign sure but not necessarily for the country…

• Planeflyer says:

The one I came up which is sort of revelant is that all international flights will have duty free! Still, i’ll happily forgo that to stay in the EU.

3. Adrian says:

Like a lot of BA customers I’m hoping this will be a catalyst for change. BA has been raking in profits, using an old tired fleet and have rested on their laurels. The constant cost cutting and penny pinching will continue I’m sure, but if BA feel they have to update then maybe we will get a better product. We flew for the first time in club world last week on seats and with ife that were 10 years old and to be honest it was shockingly poor (and that was the much touted 747 u/d). It’s hard to believe they used to snub their noses at AA. The AA 77W and the 321 Transcon’s are a great product and I’m surprised just how poor BA has become, not just transatlantic but the Club Europe flights were terrible too, there just isn’t any leg room (and this is supposed to be a premium product?). From a lot of reading on FT it’s clear BA is shareholder centric, maybe it’s time to focus on their customers for a change.

• Trouble is that kind of refresh requires substantial investment. And all companies are shareholder-centric at the end of the day. Nobody would be too pleased if BA were sustaining very large losses yet having a huge bouquet of fresh flowers in each toilet, for example.

There are plenty of people complaining about it, but still plenty of people flying it. There must be an attraction somewhere, for many routes you can’t even say it’s because they have a monopoly on it. I’m guessing the price point for anyone willing to be a bit flexible and wait for an ex-EU is just right.

It’s likely that any further efforts will be more likely to reduce cost rather than improve quality; people’s spending power has declined immediately thanks to the currency fluctuations and this is likely to become more pronounced in the coming years if inflation rises with decreased interest rates.

They have an incredible amount of fixed costs committed for the short-term future (slots, aircraft, staff), and an unsold seat on a flight that has left cannot be recovered. From their point of view anything fare that covers the marginal cost is going to be good news providing that the sale is not at the expense of the higher fare passengers.

• Well ignoring the fact that BA has a lot of new aircraft on order already to replace the 744 dinosaurs, I think you’ll find that financial hardship usually leads to fleet replacement being deferred rather than brought forward.

4. What benefit would you expect to receive in one week?

5. Tilly71 says:

BA have been heavily criticised in the media for turning the EU outcome into a marketing exercise.

6. Ibera have got some good deals on too, not booked yet, but Manchester to Madrid is £59 return on some dates next year. Going to book my little ones first trip to Europe soon with these prices, thanks for the heads up!

• Steel yourself for the outrageous cost of passports – every 5 years, as well…

7. Martin robertson says:

For those of us in the regions the BA sale makes it CHEAPER to start from a regional airport than it is from LHR.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a couple of months for Feb as we are going to surprise my sister and twin nieces by turning up at their cheer competition (they live in Calgary and won some comp or other to qualify).

15th -24th was just under £600 from LHR. From NCL it’s £455.
    I’ve coupled that with the current part pay with avios (30,000 for £300 off) which made our total £305 pp and then upgraded the inbound flights to PE for £75 each.

No need for the usual jaunt to DUB!!!

8. Any of these decent short haul deals available from anywhere apart from direct from London? I’m assuming not given previous sales but live in hope BA might have seen sense!

9. Strange!! I booked 6 nights in New York the day before brexit and it’s gone up from 1800 to 2800!! Same hotel same flights 110417×170417 Im well happy with that! Great timing by the looks of it…

10. O/T odd – all available offers on Amex Gold & BA cards have disappeared for us, apart from Eurostar (already reserved to card).

11. revlou says:

Hi Raffles, (assuming the UK actually leaves the EU) what do your spidey senses tell you will happen with the EU interchange fee cap in UK?

• Very unlikely that will go, press would have a field day about customers getting legged over

• Mr Dee says:

The card companies are going to be the ones that benefit directly if the interchange fee was removed so I can’t see there being a big push for change at all, especially as its just been implemented more strictly.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

No chance.

12. I think BA has so downgraded its onboard shorthaul club europe product that its not worth the extra money if you already have lounge access + don’t need the tier points. Flew lhr to dus CE at end of Germany to Hkg trip. Returned on flybe to Bhx. Although no lounge from being silver i would chose flybe from my local airport over BA CE for shorthaul. Once on board apart from no inclusive snack there was little between flybe and CE except the price and I was home in half the time upon landing.

• Mr Dee says:

Agree I have flown club Europe and had the oldest seats I have seen, was shocked they still used the seats and could have at least upgraded something.

• Mr Dee says:

If you have lounge access it’s a pointless products a lot of the time.

13. Isodrac says:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Cataclysmic, dire, outrageous. I can’t believe the economy hasn’t recovered in SEVEN days!

• I’m so glad we had these comment threads and The Sun to counterbalance the pro-Remain FT and The Economist. Because all opinions should be given the same weight, right?

• I would bet on it not having recovered in 7 years.

14. Annoyingly, I find that these 160 tier point sub £200 CW fares typically leave from Gatwick rather than Heathrow which is so much more convenient for me. Is there any easy way to establish when these BA sales are offering destinations that have their flights depart from Heathrow.

15. Michael says:

Surely everything in the UK just got cheaper for people who earn Euro’s. Holidays in the UK got cheaper for a lot of people outside the UK. Just not the other way around.

• Genghis says:

Exactly. I don’t know the numbers but I guess most of BA’s business comes from people / companies earning GBP – hence the decline. Also IAG is LSE listed and accounts in GBP so currency translation losses.

• I don’t think the UK is a summer destination for Europeans to the same extent as Europe is for us…?

• Mr Dee says:

Its certainly not a summer destination, I believe only London would really attract the tourists as I can’t see any appeal for the beaches compared to Europe :/

• I’d suggest Edinburgh is still rammed full of tourists, in August when the festival is on the residents of Edinburgh would find London to be comparatively peaceful.

• Erico1875 says:

Yes, I drove up the Mound/ Lawnmarket today. Absolutely heaving. Tourists spilling off the pavements.

• “I believe only London would really attract the tourists”

Ever been to York? Rammed with overseas tourists.

• i think pointing out that UK cities contain tourists is kind of missing the point – all of the EU cities will contain tourists too. But there wouldn’t be enough EU people flooding London/York/Wherever simultaneously to make up for UK people not going in the other direction. And that’s ignoring the fact they’d probably rather fly on their own national airlines if poss anyway.

• “and that’s ignoring the fact they’d probably rather fly on their own national airlines if poss anyway.”

I agree most people would prefer to fly their own National airlines , Unfortunately for the majority here that would mean a trip to London to do that.

• But all the tourist airlines fly into London and it’s a bugger of a long and expensive way to anywhere north of Watford!

• Come and see Oxford city center during the Summer!

• Aeronaut says:

Though if continental Europeans think we hate them, then they might well not come.

(Instead perhaps we can look forward to the more adventurous Trump supporters coming over to congratulate us on ‘how we got our freedom back’…)

16. clarence says:

Slightly OT. Being looking at the avios purchase offer on Iberia Plus but not being great at maths could someone please tell me how to wotrk out how much an avios point is costing me

• Use the xe.com app to convert €1800 euros and that’s the price of 150k avios. It’s currently a bit over £1507 – so just over 1p excluding credit card fees.

• Genghis says:

I think the cost is dependent on how many you buy.

So take the cost in Euros, divide it by the current exchange rate (just take it from XE if you’re paying with an FX load free card or if not add on another 3% to get the GBP amount and then divide by how many avios you’re buying to get the ppa.

17. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Perhaps exchange rate related: three UK Hiltons are getting reward category downgrades: Hilton Blackpool (6->4), Hampton Exeter Airport (4->3) and Hilton Ageas Bowl Southampton (6->5). Blackpool looks a bit rubbish, but the other two have good reviews and Southampton even has a Spa & Exec lounge.

• I wouldn’t stay at the Blackpool Hilton again if it was free.

• nw1309 says:

I stayed at the hampton at exeter earlier in the year, and very nice it was to. couldn’t really be any more handy for the airport! literally a stones throw from the terminal building. The room was nice and I was well rested though that could have been the Gin!

18. James67 says:

OT Hilton: @Andrew H and others following my comments earlier this week about Hilton closing my account after status match request…I’ve heard nothing direct from Hilton yet but my account appears to have been reactivated today :)

19. rams1981 says:

OT curve pins. Tried the pin from the app twice today and it said incorrect pin. Then tried the pin I changed it to which said it hadn’t changed and voila it worked. Bizarre. Anyone else had this?

• rams1981 says:

And by curve I mean supercard. Whoops

• Genghis says:

You managed to change the PIN on Supercard? I’ve tried a few different ATMs but basically saying it cannot be changed.

• rams1981 says:

Yes. It said it couldn’t but I’ve only used it for first time last 2 days and it only accepted the new pin and rejected the pin supercard